Online Series: Halo (Paramount+)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I tried but it just seemed cheap and second rate especially compared to some other sci fis I watched or started recently like Foundation or Raised by Wolves. I was going to say this could be a show on SyFy or something but actually SyFy had the best sci-fi show of all time in BSG so that's probably not fair to it.
Give The Expanse and For All Mankind a try. Both are mostly hard SciFi with some amazing acting.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Could care less about the helmet. In the lore, it wasn't/isn't a big deal for Spartans to take off their lids.

My problems with the show however, are numerous.

- Halsey decided early on that not being honest with the Spartans was a terrible idea. So them being kidnapped child soldiers is not a secret amongst the corp. In-fact, most embrace the Spartan life.

- The covenant, specifically the Sanghelli, see humanity as bugs pissing on their church relics. Them accepting a human into their fold as some herald is a big no-no lore wise. Of course, the religious scorn the covenant have for humanity was built on a lie by Truth, Regret, and Mercy. They took many steps however, to ensure the secret would never get out. Because if it did, it would lead to a schism within the Covenant.

- LOL, countless humans (probably the majority) have the gene(s) to activate forerunner tech. John was never special.

- Why make a whole new team of never heard of before Spartans, when you have a library of loved characters from the lore to choose from (blue team).

- The Byzantine Politicking within the Covenant in the show is sorely missing. I think it, and many other aspects of the covenant, are being glossed over Becuase the show runners dont trust their creations (the covenant), that's why they introduced a human into their midst.
Because they were in Halo 5 which wasn't that well received. I can't even remember any of them.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Because they were in Halo 5 which wasn't that well received. I can't even remember any of them.
Blue team is indeed kinda hard to remember, they barely show up in the franchise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220504-191630_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220504-191630_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 8

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
For those that haven't seen the latest episode, the entire episode is about Kwan Ha and Soren. You only see Master Chief for a couple of minutes as a vision.

SugarSherm

The One and Only
Aug 25, 2012
Augusta, Georgia
For those that haven't seen the latest episode, the entire episode is about Kwan Ha and Soren. You only see Master Chief for a couple of minutes as a vision.
Just finished watching the episode. I found myself not really caring without Master Chief involved. I’ve enjoyed the series a lot so far but this episode didn’t do anything for me.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I haven't read any of the books or watched any other live action or animated because I frankly don't give damn about them.
All I'm saying is that blue team is John's family. After Samuels sacrifice (to which John made happen), he made protecting all the Spartans a priority, but especially blue team. It's one of his greatest archs as a character.

To not have them in this is a crime to many Halo fans.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
What we all expected:

What we f***ing got instead:

1652542004562.png

My mind is blown at badly the producers botched this show.

Throw it into the sun and start over. Have Blomkamp come back and do his version.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Those previous live action Halo project look utter crap compared to this. Writing and acting was so bad I couldn't get through any of them.

IGN review nailed everything that was great about the storytelling in the episode: Halo: The TV Series Episode 8 Review - "Allegiance" - IGN
IGN can suck a hard one. They constantly give crap reviews just to bait in clicks. They lost all accreditation as a rational review site when they took a steaming dump all over Aliens: Isolation. It's one of the most biased articles in gaming history.

I was using their tweet as ammo to push the point across that fans are pissed.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
IGN can suck a hard one. They constantly give crap reviews just to bait in clicks. They lost all accreditation as a rational review site when they took a steaming dump all over Aliens: Isolation. It's one of the most biased articles in gaming history.

I was using their tweet as ammo to push the point across that fans are pissed.
Aliens: Isolation IS a steaming pile on dump.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
They should have just adapted the books. Super mediocre show that had so much source material to go off. The Halo storyline really took a nose dive once Bungie stopped making them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They should have just adapted the books. Super mediocre show that had so much source material to go off. The Halo storyline really took a nose dive once Bungie stopped making them.
:laugh: Pretending it wasn't confusing already when they were doing them. Or have people forgotten Halo 2?

I don't know anyone, either friend, relative or gaming friend who I've played Halo games since Halo 2 with, that has read any Halo book.

Reactions: Kelly

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
:laugh: Pretending it wasn't confusing already when they were doing them. Or have people forgotten Halo 2?

I don't know anyone, either friend, relative or gaming friend who I've played Halo games since Halo 2 with, that has read any Halo book.
Halo 2 was a bit of a mess but the original Halo trilogy is a pretty solid storyline.

Fans not having read the books is an irrelevant point to make. We just saw season 2 of the Witcher rely on the books and it worked reasonably well.

You seem to be awfully defensive of this show, and this is coming from someone who has been a big fan of the series since it’s inception. If it didn’t have the Halo licence attached to it, it would be a super mediocre 6/10 show that would likely get cancelled after a couple seasons.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Halo 2 was a bit of a mess but the original Halo trilogy is a pretty solid storyline.

Fans not having read the books is an irrelevant point to make. We just saw season 2 of the Witcher rely on the books and it worked reasonably well.

You seem to be awfully defensive of this show, and this is coming from someone who has been a big fan of the series since it’s inception. If it didn’t have the Halo licence attached to it, it would be a super mediocre 6/10 show that would likely get cancelled after a couple seasons.
Is this a new to you on this site? People being defensive of things they like? I honestly had very low expectations for this because previous live action Halo has been utter garbage that I can't even watch for long, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the storytelling, the character depth and development. They've taken this show and it's world far more seriously than I expected.

Sidenote, I haven't played the Witcher game nor read any of the books but I have liked the show. The Wheel Of Time or Foundation, haven't read the books but have really liked the shows. I'm sensing a pattern of non-book readers loving those shows more than those who have and I'm seeing a lot of similar comments on this show on Youtube from people who haven't played the games nor read the books.

Reactions: Kelly

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Is this a new to you on this site? People being defensive of things they like? I honestly had very low expectations for this because previous live action Halo has been utter garbage that I can't even watch for long, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the storytelling, the character depth and development. They've taken this show and it's world far more seriously than I expected.

Sidenote, I haven't played the Witcher game nor read any of the books but I have liked the show. The Wheel Of Time or Foundation, haven't read the books but have really liked the shows. I'm sensing a pattern of non-book readers loving those shows more than those who have and I'm seeing a lot of similar comments on this show on Youtube from people who haven't played the games nor read the books.
I agree with your second paragraph. I don’t think you need to have read the books to enjoy adaptations. The weird thing with the Halo show is that it references the books quite a bit (other Spartan characters, Reach, John’s upbringing, etc.), but doesn’t actually go past surface level references.

Have you read the Fall of Reach? It’s a great book that would have been a slam dunk for a great season 1 to this show.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree with your second paragraph. I don’t think you need to have read the books to enjoy adaptations. The weird thing with the Halo show is that it references the books quite a bit (other Spartan characters, Reach, John’s upbringing, etc.), but doesn’t actually go past surface level references.

Have you read the Fall of Reach?
It’s a great book that would have been a slam dunk for a great season 1 to this show.
I think the show goes well beyond the games (in their original form, not including later included/remastered cut scenes) in for example showing what kind of a person Halsey is, or at least in much shorter time.

I only write, I don't read.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think the show goes well beyond the games (in their original form, not including later included/remastered cut scenes) in for example showing what kind of a person Halsey is, or at least in much shorter time.

I only write, I don't read.
Lmao explains a lot

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Have you read the Fall of Reach? It’s a great book that would have been a slam dunk for a great season 1 to this show.
The Nylund trilogy (TFoR, FS, GoO) is some of the best written lore in the entire franchise. Any fan of Halo is missing out on so much if they dont read them.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This show is an embarrassment.

Imagine going from a rumored Neill Blomkamp/Peter Jackson joint (eventually became District 9) to this garbage.

I'm convinced anyone who enjoys this doesn't actually like halo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad