Online Series: Halo (Paramount+)

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I've never really played the games apart from some split-screen multi-player on the original X-box and I thought the first episode was incredibly dull and boring. I was ready to give up on it several times over but decided to stick it out hoping something would 'hook' me before it was over. The show somehow seemed to look incredibly cheap while seeming quite expensive to make at the same time, if that makes any sense.

Maybe the show will be a cool addition to those already into the Halo lore but I doubt I'll ever watch another episode.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And a further note on Makee.

She breaks lore like a bull in a China shop.

The Prophets, sure. They are manipulative POS's who would sell their own mothers for a cookie. Yeah, they would totally harbor a human to benefit their own needs and wants.

The Sangheili (along with all the other races) on the other hand, f*** no. They wouldn't stand for it. The Sangheili at this point in time guard the Prophets, they would at some point encounter her.
This is a different timeline. They've made it very clear.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
About as bad as expected.
This franchise had its golden opportunity with Blomkamp directing and Peter Jackson producing it, but fell apart because they couldn't obtain the proper budget for it. Oh well, at least we got District 9 out of it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
All the real fans have.
tracey-morgan-no.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
This is a different timeline. They've made it very clear.
Which is unfortunate. What's the point of adopting the IP if you're not going to use the material that has been eaten and digested into countless hundreds of millions of dollars by the fans over the last 20+ years?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I liked the first episode tbh. It's always important to remember with these adaptations that they aren't JUST trying to appeal to fans of the game, but tell their own story too and draw in new fans, and building up this story and trying to make it make sense to people is gonna take some time.

I also think it's important to not judge a show based on it's first episode too harshly, cause most shows start out pretty weak. I felt this was a pretty strong pilot episode and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Which is unfortunate. What's the point of adopting the IP if you're not going to use the material that has been eaten and digested into countless hundreds of millions of dollars by the fans over the last 20+ years?
Because most people have only played the games and the canon/lore quite frankly is a bit messy in them. And following the games strictly would mean very cgi heavy(=expensive) show. Also, this show really doesn't start until they find the Halo ring and/or get to there. I think every one who's played the games realizes that. That is where this show will really be judged. John Campea's brother-in-law Ray Ora is a fan of the games and he got to watch the first two games with John, and he really liked the first two. He's really waiting for the third episode after how the second ended.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Can't find the Paramount+ app on my tv...Want to use the game pass perk, 30 days for free
The app isn't even available for Xbox in Europe AND the Xbox Edge browser doesn't support the video codec on the Paramount+ site. The lack of app is probably related to Paramount+ merging along with Peacock and Sky original series into the Sky Showtime service in Europe later this year.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I just read an excellent review/article that details the problem with most game adaptations:
What a garbage article. The writer seems like he hasn't played Halo and also referenced a scene in episode, which actually didn't happen. Also "the sound of Chief's gun charging".... :facepalm: It's the shields charging.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What a garbage article. The writer seems like he hasn't played Halo and also referenced a scene in episode, which actually didn't happen. Also "the sound of Chief's gun charging".... :facepalm: It's the shields charging.

It seems like you're looking for excuses to dismiss his opinion. You even picked out one tiny clause and misquoted it (he said "reloading," not "charging").

It's obvious from the article that he's played the games, but if you need more evidence, here's his article on Halo Infinite, in which he gives the history of Halo: Wired - The Bold Gamble to Make Halo Infinite Last Forever

You may be mad at him for disliking a show that you like so far, but he makes a lot of good points about the problems with game adaptations.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It seems like you're looking for excuses to dismiss his opinion. You even picked out one tiny clause and misquoted it (he said "reloading," not "charging").

It's obvious from the article that he's played the games, but if you need more evidence, here's his article on Halo Infinite, in which he gives the history of Halo: Wired - The Bold Gamble to Make Halo Infinite Last Forever

You may be mad at him for disliking a show that you like so far, but he makes a lot of good points about the problems with game adaptations.
It was still the wrong point to make. There's nothing about the sound of the gun reloading. It's the shield re-charging sound that matter and that was featured. They've seen two episodes tops, and the Halo ring hans't even been seen yet. Makes no sense to judge this show yet when the titular star hasn't even appeared yet.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
As a fan of the books and games, the show is pretty shitty so far. So many issues. The dialogue and acting is pretty bad. It feels like a B level movie/show (think direct-to-DVD movie) with a high budget, which seems like an oxymoron but nope, they found a way.

They should have just remade The Fall of Reach and marketed it towards fans of the series (you know, the tens of millions of fans of the series). Instead we got this middle-of-the-road mediocre crap.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Haven't see it yet but one critique I have read is that it has 'no soul" or no "vibes" is that true?

I get the impression here that Halo fans have adopted a preference to hate the show as it was never going to live up to expectations and gaming sites are writing click bait articles to capitalize. I mean, there's one episode out, and I get the impression reviewers may have seen two, and look at these things are saying.

Now I've only gotten about an hour into the Halo CE campaign and I tend to be very forgiving to adaptions, so sitting down to episode one with no expectations it was... fine. Nothing mind blowing and I don't see it being top tier sci-fi like The Expanse but I'm interested in seeing more. My early prognostic is it will be about on par with The Witcher on Amazon, but sci-fi. Not earlier season Game of Thrones, but decent. And if that's the case then of course merely being 'decent' is never going to cut it for the Halo fanbase.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I really liked episode 2. I'm a fan of the games as well, and I actually like that they aren't keeping the helmet/equipment on Master Chief all the time. In theory you would think you want it, but it'd probably get old really quick just staring at his helmet and not getting any character development out of him at all (which imo kinda happens in the games - which makes Master Chief a pretty dull character). So you can see where they're coming from with taking his helmet off, especially for a guy who isn't supposed to talk much. I guess some people just wanna stare at a helmet all day and have non-stop action with very little story/character development? This show is meant to attract old and new fans remember, so I think people would be turned away by some dude in armor the whole time. Might as well be a side character. His facial expressions are important for sharing his characters feelings/thoughts without having him speak too much.

Side note, I also think the show looks great visually. Episode 2 in particular was just awesome

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really liked episode 2. I'm a fan of the games as well, and I actually like that they aren't keeping the helmet/equipment on Master Chief all the time. In theory you would think you want it, but it'd probably get old really quick just staring at his helmet and not getting any character development out of him at all (which imo kinda happens in the games - which makes Master Chief a pretty dull character). So you can see where they're coming from with taking his helmet off, especially for a guy who isn't supposed to talk much. I guess some people just wanna stare at a helmet all day and have non-stop action with very little story/character development? This show is meant to attract old and new fans remember, so I think people would be turned away by some dude in armor the whole time. Might as well be a side character. His facial expressions are important for sharing his characters feelings/thoughts without having him speak too much.

Side note, I also think the show looks great visually. Episode 2 in particular was just awesome
I think Pablo Schreiber is more than good enough of an actor to make it work with or without the helmet. After two episodes, he feels like almost a perfect casting.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Episode 3 was even better than episode 2. Creation of Cortana is really fascinating, while also slightly dark and creepy/scary.

Yeah that was a great episode

I like that this show doesn't feel rushed. They're taking their time in each episode to develop the story and you can just tell its gonna continue to get better

Reactions: Kelly and Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad