Online Series: Halo (Paramount+)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Another one I won't watch, like Foundation on Apple's service, etc. as I refused to get any more streaming services.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm always skeptical of video game to TV but Halo had a really strong narrative story at least in the first couple of games I played.

And to add to potential for a good show - just recently League of Legends came out with an animated TV show called Arcane and that has been a solid tv show so far. It can be done.

Reactions: Voight

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm always skeptical of video game to TV but Halo had a really strong narrative story at least in the first couple of games I played.

And to add to potential for a good show - just recently League of Legends came out with an animated TV show called Arcane and that has been a solid tv show so far. It can be done.

Pretty much anything can be good if done right, but personally I'm a little skeptical of translating games where you're basically one dude/lady shooting up a bunch of mooks. I'm not familiar with the Halo franchise, did buy CE on Steam recently but have had a hard time getting into it (and I typically don't have a problem playing older games), but I'd say the same thing for Metroid.

Maybe a big part of the issue here is in these two games they never 'take off the armour'. So you don't have a say Tony Stark/Iron Man contrast, here it's just all Iron Man. For an example of this working you have The Mandalorian, but there they were able to work with a blank state and didn't have the expectation of a story to follow.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I doubt they would ever do this, but if they just remade the book the Fall of Reach for season 1, it would be a fantastic intro/origin story with arguably the strongest plot of the entire series.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Follow the script from Fall of Reach (Book) word for word and you'll have an excellent season 1.

Honestly, that book has some of the best described space battles in a low scifi setting ever. And the hardship the Spartan's have to go through after they are kidnapped and replaced with flash clones is sad but amazing writing. IIRC, 30 of the 75 CHILDREN, died excruciating deaths, being ripped apart and put back together with means that no one had attempted on another human being before, at least not like this. 12 more went onto become severely handicapped. Some were simply paralyzed, others were left in a vegetative state, or worse.

And this wasn't to fight the Covenant. Humanity didn't know about the Covenant yet. The Spartan-II's were created to root out and rid the systems of insurrectionists.

I would say that Dr. Haley is some sort of Dr. Frankenstein, but that would be an insult to him.

She's more like some f***ed up version of Gendo Ikari. Which is saying something.

She deliberately kidnapped 75 children. Replaced them with flash clones (Which died soon after). Thrusted the kids into a brutal military training regiment, and then hacked them apart and put them back together again. All this because the UN was piss poor at setting a meeting with a bunch of pissed off colonists who felt ignored.

Eric Nylund is a terrific author.

Edit: Forgot that the bodies of the children that died were further experimented on to perfect the techniques used in the Spartan-III's.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It looks ok. What is going to be the plot though?

I hope they start from the very beginning and go into detail about the justification for the Spartan program. I want them to Halsey sew her soul and destiny to what is without a doubt an egregious war crime. I want to see how she lives with it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Halo TV Series Won't Be Canon - IGN

Good decision in my opinion. Take the best parts and leave the confusing/non-sensical bits out.

Yeah I think it’ll most interesting if they leave out all of the Flood and Forerunner stuff (at least for now) and just focus on humanity’s dire need to be protected against the Covenant.

I hope Halsey is in this show however because the conflict of having to commit crimes against humanity in order to prevent it from certain destruction would be really cool to see.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah I think it’ll most interesting if they leave out all of the Flood and Forerunner stuff (at least for now) and just focus on humanity’s dire need to be protected against the Covenant.

I hope Halsey is in this show however because the conflict of having to commit crimes against humanity in order to prevent it from certain destruction would be really cool to see.

I think the Flood is the season finale cliffhanger stuff. First season or second though?

She's literally in the trailer, played by Natasha McElhone. She's in all 9 episodes of season 1. Jen Taylor is going to voice Cortana, after McElhone couldn't do it due to scheduling conflicts.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Looks lit AF, but I have huge concerns when it comes to it being non-canon. Halo story was superb to begin with, so not sure why you would change it except if the events take place right before the first game. It looked like the Flood are in this season based on that trailer as well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I can't get over how some shots look incredible and others look very CW or YouTube fanmade quality. Gives me the impression that it will be very visually inconsistent. Never had much interest in Paramount+ to begin with and this hasn't swayed me.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Looks lit AF, but I have huge concerns when it comes to it being non-canon. Halo story was superb to begin with, so not sure why you would change it except if the events take place right before the first game. It looked like the Flood are in this season based on that trailer as well.

I Was reading that the creators (343 Industries) have said this in a different continuity from the games. Many things are the same but in this "Silver timeline" people who loved the games will see some difference.

One of the interesting things about Halo the show is that it’s not actually in the same continuity as the 20-year gaming franchise. Instead, it’s in own separate continuity dubbed “the Silver Timeline,” named so because Master Chief (Pablo Schreiber) will have a new team of Spartans by his side rather than his fairly well established Blue Team members Linda, Fred, and Kelly from the expanded media. That said, the members of Silver Team—which consists of Riz-028 (Natasha Culzac), Vannak-134 (Bentley Kalu), and Kai-125 (Kate Kennedy)—are said to exist in the main continuity as well. The timelines were previously described by 343 to be extremely similar, but some elements in the show will be different in subtle and not-subtle ways that’ll make themselves known over time, such as Chief and Cortana (voiced by Jen Taylor, like in the games) actively seeking out the titular Halo ring on purpose rather than stumbling upon it.
There’s a lot of interesting things to glean from the Halo trailer, from a human woman allying herself with the Covenant to the prominent appearance of Bokeem Woodbine as the Spartan Soren-066, who left the UNSC to join the Insurrection—aka the fringe sect of humans who the Spartans were originally created to fight against. In the timeline of the show, the Insurrection is still around and kicking the same time as the Covenant is, and it’s one of the many tweaks to the new timeline that may make for a more interesting show and deeper look at Chief as a person.

Halo's Trailer Bring Master Chief's Sci-fi Odyssey to Live Action

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
First episode dropped today.

I f***ing loved it lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Zero f***s given apparently when it comes to watching kids and teenagers get blown apart and visceral thrown in every direction.

When everyone is standing still the CGI and SFX is great. When the Spartans and the Elites are moving however, they sometimes look like they are moving without any weight.

Not sure what I think about ditching Kelly, Fred, Fred, Josh, Sam, and Linda. All established characters in the Haloverse being wiped away because.......?

I get why Makee exists, but I don't think it was necessary. We're talking about a franchise that is 20+ years old with a MASSIVE main stream following. We don't need a human character to connect to the Covenant. They are anthropomorsized enough that we don't have to worry about not being able to connect to them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Zero f***s given apparently when it comes to watching kids and teenagers get blown apart and visceral thrown in every direction.

When everyone is standing still the CGI and SFX is great. When the Spartans and the Elites are moving however, they sometimes look like they are moving without any weight.

Not sure what I think about ditching Kelly, Fred, Fred, Josh, Sam, and Linda. All established characters in the Haloverse being wiped away because.......?

I get why Makee exists, but I don't think it was necessary. We're talking about a franchise that is 20+ years old with a MASSIVE main stream following. We don't need a human character to connect to the Covenant. They are anthropomorsized enough that we don't have to worry about not being able to connect to them.
Nobody who's only played the games, knows who they are?

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Nobody who's only played the games, knows who they are?
Series has been around for 20+ years, they are established characters in the universe. It's a change I can live with, but it's not a change that sits well.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
And a further note on Makee.

She breaks lore like a bull in a China shop.

The Prophets, sure. They are manipulative POS's who would sell their own mothers for a cookie. Yeah, they would totally harbor a human to benefit their own needs and wants.

The Sangheili (along with all the other races) on the other hand, f*** no. They wouldn't stand for it. The Sangheili at this point in time guard the Prophets, they would at some point encounter her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad