Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Hayden Verbeek

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
And again, find me the junior players with the statsline that he has that made them NHL'ers. So it's normal that since the majority and then some have had better statsline that he did, that this signing brings skepticism......

At one point, if the guy can not translate some of his offensive game, chances are I guess he could insert himself in the 4th line. But as much as a bull he is in juniors, he'll meet guys day after day with bigger bodies than he does and we will see how effective his game will be in the NHL. I mean, there are players that have a great production in juniors in their last year and will not develop into anything. So you have to think that the ones who don't...might have a less chance to do so? Based on what? Based on reality? Does that mean that it will automatically fail? No. We do have to wait 'cause exceptions DO occur. But as of now, we can't be excited by a guy who will have to defy the odds to make it. But I guess that if one guy can do it, it's the guy with such determination......But yes, that's usually what the automatic AHL rats are made of....guys like him.

His even strength points are good.

The difference between his statline and other guys like Helm, is that Helm got PP time and he doesn't.

Now, he's still a longshot to make the NHL, like every UDFA, but his stat line isn't out of line with others when you consider the circumstances.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
His uncle Pat Verbeek wasn't exactly a big man either but if this kid can play anywhere near as good as his uncle then it's a good signing.

However I am always skeptical when a player suddenly blossoms at 20 when he's playing against mostly 17 year olds.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Shows our desesperation for centers

But if he is very fast why not . He might play as. 4 or 3 c one day

But these spots are taken by dlr and danault

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We had only like 43 out of 50 contract spots used this year, I have no idea how good/bad he is but I'd rather them use contract spots on prospects than on nothing at all.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Seems to be a lot of vitriol for nothing. They signed a 20 year old Daniel Carr type. Not bad.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Seems to be a lot of vitriol for nothing. They signed a 20 year old Daniel Carr type. Not bad.

I wouldn't compare them.

A friend of mine played with Carr in his first year with Union, he was damn good, probably the best winger on the team. Almost ppg at 18 and 0.5gpg.

Verbeek needed to play with 30 goal scorers to not hit ppg in his 20 yo year.

For me, it's just that this management group has become so predictable in who they target, it's almost a caricature. They make no effort to sign the best overagers, but then go on to sign Verbeek, who has limited upside, but has dat dere character and speed.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wouldn't compare them.

A friend of mine played with Carr in his first year with Union, he was damn good, probably the best winger on the team. Almost ppg at 18 and 0.5gpg.

Verbeek needed to play with 30 goal scorers to not hit ppg in his 20 yo year.

For me, it's just that this management group has become so predictable in who they target, it's almost a caricature. They make no effort to sign the best overagers, but then go on to sign Verbeek, who has limited upside, but has dat dere character and speed.

Well Carr may have been a good NCAA player but had limited NHL upside because he’s not particularly big and he’s not that good of a skater. At least Verbeek has wheels, we will see.

I mean if they were at 48 contracts, okay. But they aren’t even close to that. If we found out they chose Verbeek over Evans, we could get mad. But I don’t see an issue here.

I’ll reserve my anger for something that makes a difference, like when he picks Hayton 6th overall since he wants a good two-way centre.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Shows our desesperation for centers

But if he is very fast why not . He might play as. 4 or 3 c one day

But these spots are taken by dlr and danault
Lol

Forget it

The semi excitement over this guy is mind boggling

This signing of a 5th year undrafted (twice) player is to fill spots in our empty minor system. It shows how empty our prospects are

If you seriously think he will ever sniff NHL is ludicrous. Especially giving him a spot on the 3rd or 4th line in an NHL team

Lol!!

He can't even dominate juniors. NEXT!!!!

Reactions: Zorba

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Why??
Overage player and not even a pt a game. What’s the point. Seriously
Have you seen him play? Speed to burn and great penalty killer. 30 goals with no power play time at all. No quit in this kid. Every team needs reliable second and third line players. He can potentially fill this role on a few years.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This organization is baffling. I don't know why we waste a contract spot on a guy like this but let Bradley go.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Lol

Forget it

The semi excitement over this guy is mind boggling

This signing of a 5th year undrafted (twice) player is to fill spots in our empty minor system. It shows how empty our prospects are

If you seriously think he will ever sniff NHL is ludicrous. Especially giving him a spot on the 3rd or 4th line in an NHL team

Lol!!

He can't even dominate juniors. NEXT!!!!

Its so ridiculous, that every NHL team makes signings of undrafted players every single year... why are we so ridiculous to sign a guy who is a longshot to make the NHL, when every team does that?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I guess he is better then ebbing or einseinshmid

A depth ahl signing

You need those crappy ahl guys

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Have you seen him play? Speed to burn and great penalty killer. 30 goals with no power play time at all. No quit in this kid. Every team needs reliable second and third line players. He can potentially fill this role on a few years.
I don’t need to see him play to know he won’t be an NHL
His draft year and the 2 after that he wasn’t even .5 pts a a game now as 20year old he isn’t a PPG
I couldn’t care less if he has 25 even strength goals
I’m Getting a huge laugh at some comparing him to Gallagher
Verbeek a 2nd line player ... sure thing. Right

Last edited:

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Oh man...this is the kind of big time Bergevin signing we've been waiting for! Took 6 years but Marc is finally making the big moves and getting the big names to sign here.
Can't wait to see the rest of his plan. I have little doubt that our centres next year will be top notch. He will sign Tavares. And then he will trade Galchenyuk for Crosby. And draft Dahlin even if we're 3rd overall. He will trick the other 2 teams into taking other players.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Great vision and great pass on his 2nd shift. No....I won't talk about each shift...lol

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I don’t need to see him play to know he won’t be an NHL
His draft year and the 2 after that he wasn’t even .5 pts a a game now as 20year old he isn’t a PPG
I couldn’t care less if he has 25 even strength goals
I’m Getting a huge laugh at some comparing him to Gallagher
Verbeek a 2nd line player ... sure thing. Right
You never know cannot measure heart,look at a player like Alex Burrows was not a star in the QMJHL,never drafted had to play in the ECHL and has scored over 200 career goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00