Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Hayden Verbeek

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Absolute warrior ... but doesn't have the world's most dynamic skill set. Great defensively but dubious offensive skill set.

The player epitomizes Bergevin's "vision".

All the numb skull is going to do is get younger versions of the guys we already have on the roster, Youth, Speed and character. Bergevin is not going to somehow turn over a new leaf here and go for skill/talent, no sir he will stay the course. I actually even question if Bergevin would even pursue a guy like Tavares, he usually wants third liners as his vision of a first line center.

Reactions: Runner77

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
All the numb skull is going to do is get younger versions of the guys we already have on the roster, Youth, Speed and character. Bergevin is not going to somehow turn over a new leaf here and go for skill/talent, no sir he will stay the course. I actually even question if Bergevin would even pursue a guy like Tavares, he usually wants third liners as his vision of a first line center.

He'll be like: "Tavares is too expensive" while overpaying for a 2nd-3rd line tweener

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He'll be like: "Tavares is too expensive" while overpaying for a 2nd-3rd line tweener
I highly doubt that Tavares would even have Montreal in his top 5 places to play even if we didn't have such a master planner as our gm. The fact that Subban, a lifelong friend of his was traded from here surely wouldn't help our cause and the fact that we are a bottom 5 team and no it's no fluke. The man does not want another reclamation project and in my opinion is not a Bergevin type player. The man targeted Milan Lucic as his big move in 2016, let that sink in. We are at a terrible disadvantage with our current gm situation, he is the worst we ever had and until he goes things are not getting better.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I highly doubt that Tavares would even have Montreal in his top 5 places to play even if we didn't have such a master planner as our gm. The fact that Subban, a lifelong friend of his was traded from here surely wouldn't help our cause and the fact that we are a bottom 5 team and no it's no fluke. The man does not want another reclamation project and in my opinion is not a Bergevin type player. The man targeted Milan Lucic as his big move in 2016, let that sink in. We are at a terrible disadvantage with our current gm situation, he is the worst we ever had and until he goes things are not getting better.

Sadly he is going nowhere. I mean the owner authorized the Price contract. The owner took on an asinine Weber contract.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The limit is what 50? Might as well use the contracts up for AHL players

I have no problem with AHL players. I do have an issue with signing more alleged character than known skill, while piling up the nepotism points. It's disgusting.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We don't know without having a full grasp of the market and opportunity cost.

All we know is that we're lacking in quality organizational depth, certainly lacking at key positions and that there have been free agent signings of players who are better than Verbeek. All we're hoping for is that this isn't another nudge-nudge, I'll sign your kid cause we used to be great buddies playing on the same team, à la Christian Thomas.

So before signing the Verbeeks of this world, how about aggressively pursuing and signing those who have a higher ceiling than Verbeek? Did you hear what Alex Barré-Boulet said when he was asked why he signed with the Lightning -- they were the first to contact him. Right in our backyard.
Excellent points J.....

Makes sense when you explain that way

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have no problem with AHL players. I do have an issue with signing more alleged character than known skill, while piling up the nepotism points. It's disgusting.

Only thing we don't know is whether this had any semblance with the Christian Thomas signing where it was reported that Bergevin's relationship with the father played a role. It does however leave the door open for an inference, given the precedent and other instances where friendships have played a role in the hockey decisions that ensued.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Only thing we don't know is whether this had any semblance with the Christian Thomas signing where it was reported that Bergevin's relationship with the father played a role. It does however leave the door open for an inference, given the precedent and other instances where friendships have played a role in the hockey decisions that ensued.

In business optics are important. Bergevin doesn't appear to care how unseemly many of his moves look, he carries on like some petty tyrant who is above reproach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In business optics are important. Bergevin doesn't appear to care how unseemly many of his moves look, he carries on like some petty tyrant who is above reproach.

No question. What bothers me however, is why doesn't Bergevin ever conclude a nepostically-driven deal that actually involves a desirable, quality asset?

Reactions: groovejuice

Habs11

Mar 25, 2018
Hounds Season Ticket Holder — Verbeek hardest worker in league —. Very quick — decent offensively — relentless!! Glad he got signed!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00