Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Hayden Verbeek

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
They'll still do it. Bergevin, Julien, Churla and Lapointe have only just begun using Stone Tools.

At one point a overhaul needs to be done. I can't see Julien going anytime soon but the others certainly haven' warranted staying after all these years. Problem is, Molson won't hire a real hockey person to oversee hockey operations, he thinks he knows what's best for the organization and tgat seems like to keep the status quo.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He's a solid player. Not being a PPG doesn't mean much. His team is crazy good. Not sure he'll ever amount to being a quality NHL'er, but he's a guy you notice every time he's on the ice. I've seen him more than a handful of times.

I'd prefer a guy who is offensively dangerous every time he's on the ice. There's no shortage of Verbeek-like players but a genuine dearth of skilled offensive ones.

Very interesting Avatar, by the way. What's the story there?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Marc Bergevin's regime will be known by his defenders as the "it can't hurt" era

In which all of those "can't hurt" moves lead to 3 of the worst seasons in franchise history.

I'm pretty sure that trading and paying big money to Shaw, paying big money to Alzner, Trading Subban for Weber, not re-signing Markov and Radulov, thinking Drouin was a center or a top-line player, screwing around with Chucky, and failing to actually improve the center ice position all played a monumentally larger role than making a bunch of "it can't hurt" moves. The problem is that apart from Petry, those "it can't hurt" moves are the only things he's found success from.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
As opposed to...expecting them to find all-stars with undrafted UFA?

Why is MB so dumb he can't sign the next Martin St Louis???? He's so dumb!!

Who's asking for a St. Louis? An undrafted and underrated "right in your backyard" Jonathan Marchessault would be a reasonable wish, would it not?

Bergevin is what he is. It seems his vocal supporters are what they are as well.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'm pretty sure that trading and paying big money to Shaw, paying big money to Alzner, Trading Subban for Weber, not re-signing Markov and Radulov, thinking Drouin was a center or a top-line player, screwing around with Chucky, and failing to actually improve the center ice position all played a monumentally larger role than making a bunch of "it can't hurt" moves. The problem is that apart from Petry, those "it can't hurt" moves are the only things he's found success from.

Exactly.

I understand not liking Bergevin. I don't like him either.

But when people come out and criticize every move, no matter what... with no critical thinking about the move. When signing a free asset when we have 19 contracts to give for next season becomes a problem, then it weakens their other arguments. It looks like bias instead of honest criticism.

I'll save my outrage for the Alzner contract, the Subban trade, letting Markov/Radulov walk, etc... etc...

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Marc Bergevin's regime will be known by his defenders as the "it can't hurt" era

In which all of those "can't hurt" moves lead to 3 of the worst seasons in franchise history.

It's a good way to put it.

Individually I haven't taken issue with most of his smaller moves, but when you look at the big picture it is clear that the team has atrophied under his watch due to his failure to enhance or even replace the talent level on this team. I'm not sure we've ever had more than 4 legit top-6 forwards on the team at any given point during his tenure, and those 4 were closer to #'s 3-6 range rather than #1-4.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hayden Verbeek's ELC details according to CapFriendly:

c24185c4-1982-4c86-ae14-e37ed44b3fb2.png

Reactions: groovejuice

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Was talking to a 97 Usports commit today. He told me he played verbeek in kingston this past summer in a 3 on 3 tournament... Said his jaw dropped and he was actually pissed being a habs fan that they would sign him... Said hes a try hard with no hands and vey little skill

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Apparenly, they were interested in Barre-Boulet, Joel Bouchard confirmed on TSN690 the day after Boulet signed with Tampa. He said that Habs did call regarding the player to do their due diligence. He also said other teams called about him, as well. However it seems that Tampa got on him earlier and was more aggressive in pursuing him.

You can't say they didn't have interest in him when his coach said they did.

Although some rumors have been going around that Habs do have interest in Alexandre Alain and Olivier Galipeau.

Ooo! We could give him a bridge contract!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No undrafted free agents fill glaring needs. There is no top 6 C, there is no top 4 defenceman. All of the guys who are undrafted are being signed for depth.

Not immediately. But what about high risk/ high reward types?

Reactions: jaffy27

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Not immediately. But what about high risk/ high reward types?

They have a only 43 contracts this season, and only 32 at this point for next season... this signing doesn't prevent going after any of those types.

Who do you suggest though? And how do you know they would even consider Montreal as an option?

A guy like Daniel Brickley didn't entertain any Canadian teams.

These guys all get ELCs, you can't throw more money at them then other teams do, if they want to go to LA instead of Montreal, what is your plan?

As it is, they have signed Verbeek to an ELC... they have ATOs to two forwards and two defencemen... at least 3 of those (Korostelev, Beauregard and Plante) can be seen as guys with high end skill but other deficiencies that may not make them NHLers.

At the end of the day, if you get a 3rd or 4th line guy out of these UDFA contracts, you've done well. Address the Centre and PMD positions in the draft and in the summer.

Reactions: jaffy27

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This move itself can't hurt. Bergevin's failure outside of his minor moves is what does hurt. Bergevin making minor pickups like adding 4th liners is alright, everyone could use some depth. However when that's all he can do right, then that's a big problem.

I don't think it's that simple personally. A GM making a move has an impact on the coach's work. Ultimately the GM is the coach's boss. When your boss tell you something or do something you stop and listen. When a GM acquires a player he kind of force his coach to give this player a chance to prove himself.

Of course wont be the case here cause Verbeek is a rookie so he'll get the rookie treatment (must be a good person) but when MB goes out of his way to acquire guys like Martinsen, Ott, King, L. Shaw, Froese, Benn, Schlemko, Flynn, Barberio, Lessio, Mike Brown, Bartley, Redmond, Farnham, Niemi, The Kraken, ... he kind of put pressure on his coach to give them a fair trial. In this list i think only the Kraken did not get at least 10 games. This long list covers the last two or 3 years only but I surely missed a name or two.

I mean at one point there are only so many 4th liners and 7th dmen on a team. You can't ice 20 of them. Yet by acquiring a truck load of them you kind of force your coach to play the musical chair game with them. Of course acquiring Verbeek has nothing to do with all that. He's a kid he wont play outside the AHL. But i think the reaction of some fans (me included) is more a reaction toward all the useless moves he did the last 2 years than this move in particular. It's okay to get one or two 4th liners. It's not okay to get 3 or 4.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They have a only 43 contracts this season, and only 32 at this point for next season... this signing doesn't prevent going after any of those types.

Who do you suggest though? And how do you know they would even consider Montreal as an option?

These guys all get ELCs, you can't throw more money at them then other teams do, if they want to go to LA instead of Montreal, what is your plan?

As it is, they have signed Verbeek to an ELC... they have ATOs to two forwards and two defencemen... at least 3 of those (Korostelev, Beauregard and Plante) can be seen as guys with high end skill but other deficiencies that may not make them NHLers.

At the end of the day, if you get a 3rd or 4th line guy out of these UDFA contracts, you've done well. Address the Centre and PMD positions in the draft and in the summer.

A lot of times, you hear signed players say how they ended up going with a certain team on account of early and recurring interest. I'd try to add more scouts and have a higher degree of interaction with those players that are most desirable.

Second, they should continue to use players already drafted by the the Habs even moreso, as ambassadors -- it gets interesting for some players to be able to continue their careers with teammates from the same school. How about Jimmy Schuldt, 6 ft, 202 lbs, LHD:

Schuldt is in his senior year with St. Cloud and, in addition to the fact that he is currently heading to the Frozen Four with Poehling, has also played for a year with Charlie Lindgren in 2015-16.

Those two members of the organization could put in a good word to convince the 22-year-old left-handed defenceman to head to Montreal following his last year with the Huskies.

And what a year it has been for Schuldt.

He is currently third in the NCAA in scoring for defencemen with 38 points in 39 games, including 10 goals. He also led his team in points before some of the older forwards on his team caught up. Due to his great performance this season, he has recently made the top-10 shortlist for the Hobey Bakar Award, given to the league's MVP. He is the lone defenceman nominated.

Given the title of captain last year, Schuldt has been a force for St. Cloud leading them in a 2017-18 season where they have consistently flirted with the number-one rank. He is a team-first player, has not missed a game during his entire college hockey career, and seems to embody everything that a coach could want from a player in terms of attitude.

NCAA free agent target: Jimmy Schuldt

What does Schuldt project as? Does he not have top 4 potential?

Ultimately, what do teams have to offer when signing free agents from the NCAA? They can't offer more money, so it comes down to environment and opportunity. The more NCAA players the Habs have in-house from the better hockey schools (including adding one or two influential NCAA coaches within their ranks), could give them the edge in what is essentially an exercise in landing free players.

And, there may be years where you can get a top 6 forward or top 4D available, a late bloomer and during those years, you'll need all the persuasive tools you can dispatch.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Schuldt has had two former habs teammates, and attended a Habs development camp. What more are you going to do? I'm sure they will make him an offer, but will he sign?

His skating needs some work... I see him as going to the AHL, and maybe being a 5/6 guy with a huge shot that you use on the PP.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Schuldt has had two former habs teammates, and attended a Habs development camp. What more are you going to do? I'm sure they will make him an offer, but will he sign?

His skating needs some work... I see him as going to the AHL, and maybe being a 5/6 guy with a huge shot that you use on the PP.

Yeah, I saw that he was at the Habs camp last year, they probably have an edge with him. You're saying he's no better than a 5/6 -- I guess you're basing it on his skating?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Teams like LA where a lot of players want to go, will reach saturation point -- they can't guarantee playing time. It takes a team that has little to no organizational depth or that is n rebuild mode, to allow that. These guys are looking for an opportunity to enter the NHL quickly, hence the standard request about having them play one game in the current year, to burn that first year of their ELC.

The other thing to do is to add as many picks as you can, late round picks are valuable for NCAA types that slip. Like when the Hawks selected Dylan Sikura in the 6th round of the 2014 draft and who they just signed:

The Blackhawks desperately want to sign the 22-year-old Sikura after his season ends. They’ve had a representative at nearly all of his games, but they’re also trying to give him room.

Again, you're seeing the same trend with organizations that have a record of success -- close interaction with the player, following him very closely and making room for him. The Habs can probably do this latter part better than most teams, they have tons of room. These guys will usually jump at an opportunity to reach the NHL quicker.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Nothing you can do when a player has a preconceived idea based on geography.

However, there are lessons to be learned from the signing:

A lot of this has to do with where the Kings are at present v. 2012, but this is an area that Blake has a distinct advantage over Lombardi.

It has to be more of a "thing" for these college kids to meet with HHOFer and former NCAA player Rob Blake than Lawyer Lombardi.

Awesome to snag what appears to be the top college UFA, at least on the blue line.

Star power. If you're a young kid in college and you have a call from Rob Blake, you take the the call. If some dude named dean is on the line, please take a message.

Sounded like the Kings made an earnest run at Alex Lyon under DL's watch. Lyon admitted that the Flyers depth chart (Mason/Neuvirth as impending UFAs) was a factor in his decision. It sounds backwards, but sometimes if you're an established club it's a hard sell to (top) college UFAs if you have limited NHL roster spots up for grabs. Understandable since that's the difference between making 900K vs 70K.

And the Kings had a ton of draft picks during the rebuild portion of DL's run. If you're signing your own picks to ELCs, you can creep close to the contract limit and you might not have as many slots for college FAs.

Assuming the Habs want to increase their chances of signing the next big NCAA free agent, there are things they can do. And having an ex-NCAA star within your organization facilitates your dealings. And your depth chart is a big calling card.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Yeah, I saw that he was at the Habs camp last year, they probably have an edge with him. You're saying he's no better than a 5/6 -- I guess you're basing it on his skating?

He's physical and has a great shot.... His defensive game and skating need work for NHL though.

I still think he's one of the best UDFAs, but I rate him as a possible 5/6

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Teams like LA where a lot of players want to go, will reach saturation point -- they can't guarantee playing time. It takes a team that has little to no organizational depth or that is n rebuild mode, to allow that. These guys are looking for an opportunity to enter the NHL quickly, hence the standard request about having them play one game in the current year, to burn that first year of their ELC.

The other thing to do is to add as many picks as you can, late round picks are valuable for NCAA types that slip. Like when the Hawks selected Dylan Sikura in the 6th round of the 2014 draft and who they just signed:

The Blackhawks desperately want to sign the 22-year-old Sikura after his season ends. They’ve had a representative at nearly all of his games, but they’re also trying to give him room.

Again, you're seeing the same trend with organizations that have a record of success -- close interaction with the player, following him very closely and making room for him. The Habs can probably do this latter part better than most teams, they have tons of room. These guys will usually jump at an opportunity to reach the NHL quicker.

And isn't that exactly what they did with Jake Evans? Cayden Primeau?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->