Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Well, on the one hand, yeah, many Habs fans are only looking at the high-end talent, and I can see how fans of other teams will find this annoying.

OTOH, Montreal got a 23 year old now pacing for almost exactly 50 points for picks 31 and 37, so it's not impossible. (ie, Newhook, 25 points in 44 games.) If he'd played the whole season on PP1 or actually had decent linemates, he'd be doing even better.
He was a 30 point player the last 2 years. The post I am making a joke about specifically said a 50-60 point player, as in someone already scoring that.

A late first and very early 2nd for a 23 year old player putting up 30 points was a fair deal and would be a fair one again. That is not what Habs fans were saying here. So, really, it's even funnier with your very pertinent example of what to expect. The Winnipeg 1st alone shouldn't even get a 30 point 22 year old, just based on the very on point example from your own last offseason.

Reactions: bernmeister

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He was a 30 point player the last 2 years. The post I am making a joke about specifically said a 50-60 point player, as in someone already scoring that.

A late first and very early 2nd for a 23 year old player putting up 30 points was a fair deal and would be a fair one again. That is not what Habs fans were saying here. So, really, it's even funnier with your very pertinent example of what to expect. The Winnipeg 1st alone shouldn't even get a 30 point 22 year old, just based on the very on point example from your own last offseason.
Well, it all depends on where Winnipeg's pick ends up, and how different teams see the draft. If it ends up #24 and there's a team at the draft that loves a guy still available at #24, it could well be worth as much as #31 and #37. But I agree that expecting a proven 50 point young player is not going to happen.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Habs fans high as hell in here again lol

"yeah can I get a 50+ point forward age 23? I'll pay a late 1st"

Winnipeg 2024, but also Calgary 2025 1st and Montréal 2025 1st

The only one I would not trade is the Montréal 2024 1st

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Winnipeg 2024, but also Calgary 2025 1st and Montréal 2025 1st

The only one I would not trade is the Montréal 2024 1st
I know what was said in the OP. I'm referring to the back and forth that transpired in the pages since then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know what was said in the OP. I'm referring to the back and forth that transpired in the pages since then.

There will be back and forth and that will depend on what is available on the trade market. Ideally, we are after someone who can slide in our core and is close to Suzuki/Caufield/Dach's age. Only guy that comes to my mind is Zegras but who knows what other player might be available.

I do believe our 1st is on the table for the right target. However, that comes after the draft lottery and closer to the draft.

The idea with Newhook is he is improving, not in stall mode, and we picked him up at the right point in time. I didn't love or hate the trade. I think Newhook is a middle 6F. 2nd or 3rd line type. Decent add but doesn't turn the needle for us too much IMO.

I would say Newhook does have 50-60 pts potential. Adds speed to the team but is not that gritty. Not soft but what does he do beyond points and in the playoffs. This is likely why Sakic moved on from him IMO.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Can we not speed up the rebuild
I think people are not understanding the concept of "speeding up the rebuild" all the same way. I think that traditionally, it would mean trying to sign UFA (so 27yrs+ players) to big contract or trading for establish players that can move into key role in the lineup by trading futures.

For MTL it is to trade young player or picks to get other young players that are closer to the NHL. So in stead of waiting 2 or 3 season for the 2023 late 1st pick to be ready, they got Newhook, who was ready to play, while being yet an established. You don't burn the early year of the career, you skip the development phase leading to that NHL readiness. I think that for a market like MTL, this is a very good strategy... fan base wont endure a 8yrs process... a 4yrs one? most likely. The key for this to work is to 1- make the good trade and identify those NHL ready young player with untapped potential, and 2- don't make mistake with your 1st round pick as they need to step in quickly and be good fast.

Reactions: pth2

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We should have sped up the rebuild by doing actual things to speed it up. Trading 1sts isn't speeding it up.

Trading guys like Anderson last year (when there was apparently offers) or trading Matheson at the draft this year after his ridiculous season.. those are moves you make to speed up the rebuild.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
A good example of the Habs 'speeding up' the rebuild would be a trade for a player like Necas. Jets' 1st, Hutson, and Roy should be tempting and doesn't hurt the rebuild at all.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Zegras?

Morgan Froat if he's still in Tort's doghouse?

The one thing Montreal can offer that deeper teams can't is quality ice time opportunity. They could target guys buried in depth charts such as:
-Alex Steeves from Toronto whose too good for the AHL but doesn't have an NHL opening or
-Peyton Krebs from Buffalo who could blossom into a 2nd liner but has been passed for that role in Buffalo but isn't ideal for a 3rd liner.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Habs should have offered a big deal for Mitts. Going for Zegras, they’re expecting a similar i.e. Guhle.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Why? Habs have Kirby Dach as their 2C.
Do they really? He has trouble staying healthy for half a season. They have to plan for the possibility that this is the norm for Dach, as he also missed significant time during his career in Chicago.

If he does overcome the injury bug, he can (or the player they acquire) play on a wing.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If one wants to solve the top 6 problem, just sign Reinhart. Hes instantly our top 3 and then we add to that.

As for trades, Harris/Barron/Struble and our picks are available. Nothing else unless it's an overpayment.

As usual Hughes will target underachievers but playing in the NHL. Kerbs, Frost, Kalyev come to mind.

BTW...NO, we don't want Laffy, Puffy or Scruffy for our core players. (I wish Hab fans would stop it with the NHL2000 trades. All they do is turn on food fights.)

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do they really? He has trouble staying healthy for half a season. They have to plan for the possibility that this is the norm for Dach, as he also missed significant time during his career in Chicago.

If he does overcome the injury bug, he can (or the player they acquire) play on a wing.
I hate the words "bad luck" but they are real.

As for returning from injuries, many thought Markov was finished with two years of knee problems. Came back and put in 3 full seasons over the several post recovery.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
If one wants to solve the top 6 problem, just sign Reinhart. Hes instantly out top 3 and then we add to that.

As for trades, Harris/Barron/Struble and our picks are available. Nothing else unless it's an overpayment.

As usual Hughes will target underachievers but playing in the NHL. Kerbs, Frost, Kalyev come to mind.

BTW...NO, we don't want Laffy, Puffy or Scruffy for our core players. (I wish Hab fans would stop it with the NHL2000 trades. All they do is turn on food fights.)
The problem with your premise is that the Habs NEVER have signed an elite UFA. And until it happens, I won't believe it as a viable option.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I hate the words "bad luck" but they are real.

As for returning from injuries, many thought Markov was finished with two years of knee problems. Came back and put in 3 full seasons over the several post recovery.
We shall see, won't we? I just don't want to go into next season 'hoping' that this will be the year that Dach plays more that 50 games with the team.

I think that Hughes will have a plan in place, ready to execute come draft time.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Yes, they really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad