Rumor: Habs made an offer for Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Cheveldayoff is also a very patient GM.

He's had a few players that asked to be traded and it took years before he moved them.

Evander Kane has said he asked a trade every summer for a few years before he was finally traded.

Trouba didn't want to stay. He even held out until he signed in November a 2-year deal that took him to UFA. He was traded the year after to the Rangers. He's another example of a Jets player who only wanted to go to one team.

Laine also wanted out long before he was traded.

So Cheveldayoff is not a GM who is impatient.
If I recall Bogosian also said he asked to be traded for a couple years when he finally got traded to Buffalo lol

But yes you are right he is a slow poke....

Chevy is in no rush and the Habs have zero reason to rush so that is why no deal is going to happen any time soon

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If I recall Bogosian also said he asked to be traded for a couple years lol

But yes you are right he is a slow poke....

Chevy is in no rush and the Habs have zero reason to rush so that is why no deal is going to happen any time soon

Exactly. I would love to have PLD ASAP on the Habs. But this might be a deal that might be easier to pull off next year.

That's if he's still in Winnipeg then. Because if he is, Jets will be a little more "on the clock" then.

Reactions: SCP Guy

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Tkatchuk pulling a PLD, but it's seen as a good thing :laugh:

There a a few differences ......

Tkatchuk has 1 year left and has some leverage
PLD has two years left and way less leverage

Tkatchuk has not had his agent say yes I want to play in this or that city
PLD's agent has opened his mouth publicly instead of just to GMs that inquire....

If Tkatchuks agent was to say last summer we don't want to extend and he would really enjoy playing in St.Louis then they would be the same IMO.

I may be nitpicking but why not ;)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It feels wierd that Tampa broke their bank for players like Hagel and Coleman for just 2 years of control....
I stated many times, if PLD gets his head out of his ass and sign a 2 year deal around 6 to 6,5 mil, he will by the TDL next spring be out of Winnipeg. PLD at 3 to 3,5 mil for 2 playoff runs.....
I think Jets rather want dead cap of PLD than a dead corpse like Hoffman for 2 seasons

Hagel, Coleman and Goodrow all had cheap contracts and would be on the team for 2 playoff runs.

(3 in Hagels case)

This just shows the double standard when it comes to the Habs.

It's literally the EXACT same situation.

Not even close.

Tkachuk isn't willing to only go to one team and one team only. He's open to a handful of them.

This is also the 2nd time PLD has wanted out and hes not even 25 yet.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

He's had a few players that asked to be traded and it took years before he moved them.

Evander Kane has said he asked a trade every summer for a few years before he was finally traded.

Trouba didn't want to stay. He even held out until he signed in November a 2-year deal that took him to UFA. He was traded the year after to the Rangers. He's another example of a Jets player who only wanted to go to one team.

It was never reported Trouba was only interested in the Rangers. He wanted a move to the U.S. His wife works in Florida. He owns property in Florida.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jeff Gorton wasn't afraid of making a trade for a player he could have signed as a free agent. The Rangers made the trade for Trouba. They could have waited for Trouba to become a free agent in 2020. Same thing with Adam Fox. The Rangers could have waited another year to sign Fox for nothing. He wanted Fox and traded two 2nd round picks for him in 2019 rather than waiting until August 2020(it would have been later that year because of Covid).

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Tkachuk isn't publicly saying he'll only go to one team and crippling the potential return his team could get.
Wouldn't say he's crippling it judging by some of the expected returns we are reading.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Jeff Gorton wasn't afraid of making a trade for a player he could have signed as a free agent. The Rangers made the trade for Trouba. They could have waited for Trouba to become a free agent in 2020. Same thing with Adam Fox. The Rangers could have waited another year to sign Fox for nothing. He wanted Fox and traded two 2nd round picks for him in 2019 rather than waiting until August 2020(it would have been later that year because of Covid).
And he will do it with PLD after this season I’m sure

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It was never reported Trouba was only interested in the Rangers. He wanted a move to the U.S. His wife works in Florida. He owns property in Florida.

It was after the fact - Rutherford was with the Pens at the time and said his offer for Trouba was better than the Rangers but Trouba said no to an extension with Pittsburgh. But it wasn't publicly just New York.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009

At the same time, he certainly can be happy that he and Tyson now feel that they can put down roots in New York. Tyson is a medical student who will be applying for her residency, slated to begin next year -- and now can target her applications to hospitals in New York, something that Trouba has said was a crucial factor when the two were scribbling down where they wanted to end up together next.

"That's pretty unsettling for us and for her to not know the future, and where we would have our future, and what's actually going to happen," Trouba said. "And now to have a place where we know we're going to be for the next seven years is pretty big for both of us."

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Tkachuk isn't publicly saying he'll only go to one team and crippling the potential return his team could get.

To be fair, Brisson didn't say PLD only wants to go to Montreal.

He said Montreal is a place he'd like to play. But he didn't say he only wants to play there.

You might ask why he only mentioned Montreal and no other team, that's because it was in an interview at the draft with Montreal media.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Hagel, Coleman and Goodrow all had cheap contracts and would be on the team for 2 playoff runs.

(3 in Hagels case)

Not even close.

Tkachuk isn't willing to only go to one team and one team only. He's open to a handful of them.

That was my point, if PLD can sign for 2 years and Jets sell him next trade deadline with full retention, it would be a cheap 2C for around 3,5 mil for 2 runs...

GreenLine

May 24, 2021

Laine never asked for a trade as far as I know. His agent stated that if the Jets weren't willing to play him with their best center, then they'd consider their options. Naturally that was taken out of context by this forum and spun to seem more dramatic.

I agree on the rest. Chevy won't be bullied into accepting some lowball offer like many Habs fans are hoping for.

I don't see the Habs going after him at this point. They already acquired another center and they seem content to tank again next year. More likely they leaked this rumor about the trade offer to appease the fans that want all players from Quebec to play for the Habs. Case in point: this absurdly long thread.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Laine never asked for a trade as far as I know. His agent stated that if the Jets weren't willing to play him with their best center, then they'd consider their options. Naturally that was taken out of context by this forum and spun to seem more dramatic.

I agree on the rest. Chevy won't be bullied into accepting some lowball offer like many Habs fans are hoping for.

I don't see the Habs going after him at this point. They already acquired another center and they seem content to tank again next year. More likely they leaked this rumor about the trade offer to appease the fans that want all players from Quebec to play for the Habs. Case in point: this absurdly long thread.

Montreal didn't leak shit. The first whispers of Dubois wanting out at free agency came for Friedman and the first real reports linking him to Montreal came from Winnipeg. The first real reports from Montreal started after the draft, in concert with Brisson's media tour.

The benefit of leaking it is Dubois'. Montreal doesn't want or need the pressure to acquire a french canadian and Winnipeg doesn't want the distraction or driving down the price. It was a blatant attempt to drive the parties to the table.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

(3 in Hagels case)

Not even close.

I'm missing something.
1-On one hand PLD you claim that PLD is only willing to go the the Habs
2-And also bring up that this is the 2nd time he wanted out.
Shouldn't this hugely drop his value?
On the other hand all we are hearing from Jet fans is how he should get a big return.

Who's right?

So now it he Habs that leaked out this rumor.:facepalm:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
An important tidbit for the Habs fans who treat hockey players as purely assets and have been on the 'just wait two years and get him for free train'. It's obviously not that simple:

Especially now, a long-term deal I could have a family, I could be in the last years of my career at that point. It’s not just what you want now, it’s what you want six years from now, five years from now, eight years from now. It’s not an easy decision to make,” Dubois said. “Everybody’s different, everybody has different motivations, everyone has different opinions of everything. It’s easy to judge people but, at the end of the day, we all have different mindsets in what is important to us and what is not.”

People have plans. What holds true now may not hold true in two years. Dubois can't necessarily put his life on hold for two years because you don't want the Canadiens to give up a couple of prospects or a couple of picks. If the Canadiens want him, they'll try as hard as they can to get him now.

Reactions: Archijerej

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
An important tidbit for the Habs fans who treat hockey players as purely assets and have been on the 'just wait two years and get him for free train'. It's obviously not that simple:

Especially now, a long-term deal I could have a family, I could be in the last years of my career at that point. It’s not just what you want now, it’s what you want six years from now, five years from now, eight years from now. It’s not an easy decision to make,” Dubois said. “Everybody’s different, everybody has different motivations, everyone has different opinions of everything. It’s easy to judge people but, at the end of the day, we all have different mindsets in what is important to us and what is not.”

People have plans. What holds true now may not hold true in two years. Dubois can't necessarily put his life on hold for two years because you don't want the Canadiens to give up a couple of prospects or a couple of picks. If the Canadiens want him, they'll try as hard as they can to get him now.

Yes this is true, but the Habs won't trade their top assets for him as is the case with any trade request with specific destination(s).

Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Guhle, and maybe Dach are likely all non starters for the Habs.

PLD will go for about what Trouba got. Mid-late to late 1st + 2nd pairing dman/2nd line player with control.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the Habs were not bottom 5 material, I'd bet my luxury outhouse that they would make a an 8.4 million x 2 OS. A mid 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd is not far off or maybe less then the Dvorak, Panthers 1st and B prospect.

Jets would then have to decide to pay 8.4 for two years for a disgruntled player of take the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad