Rumor: Habs made an offer for Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Montreal didn't leak shit. The first whispers of Dubois wanting out at free agency came for Friedman and the first real reports linking him to Montreal came from Winnipeg. The first real reports from Montreal started after the draft, in concert with Brisson's media tour.

The benefit of leaking it is Dubois'. Montreal doesn't want or need the pressure to acquire a french canadian and Winnipeg doesn't want the distraction or driving down the price. It was a blatant attempt to drive the parties to the table.
The initial rumor of Dubois wanting to play in Montreal came from a Winnipeg-based reporter for the athletic. I'm not debating that.

I'm suggesting the rumor that Montreal made a trade offer likely came from Montreal. Dubois wouldn't know about any trade offers, and the Jets don't leak anything nor do they have any incentive to in this case. The only party that would know of the trade offer and benefit from the leak would be Montreal.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Nobody should feel bad for Winnipeg and I don't even mean that in an insulting way. They knew Dubois probably wanted to play in Montreal and took a gamble that they could sell him on Winnipeg. Credit to them for having the balls but it didn't work out.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's risk in that too if they really want him. Right now you can probably get him around $8-8.5m x 8 years.

In 2 years if he's playing well? That likely goes upwards of $10m.
Cap will probably go up considerably in two years, limiting a potential impact.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The initial rumor of Dubois wanting to play in Montreal came from a Winnipeg-based reporter for the athletic. I'm not debating that.

I'm suggesting the rumor that Montreal made a trade offer likely came from Montreal. Dubois wouldn't know about any trade offers, and the Jets don't leak anything nor do they have any incentive to in this case. The only party that would know of the trade offer and benefit from the leak would be Montreal.

Brisson would know if a trade offer came from Montreal (or another team). Montreal doesn't benefit from leaked trade rumours either, because it creates pressure on them. No one was talking about trading for Dubois before the trade rumours. Because the team was doing different things and is in the middle of the rebuild. Neither team benefits from rumours of trade negotiations.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Brisson would know if a trade offer came from Montreal (or another team). Montreal doesn't benefit from leaked trade rumours either, because it creates pressure on them. No one was talking about trading for Dubois before the trade rumours. Because the team was doing different things and is in the middle of the rebuild. Neither team benefits from rumours of trade negotiations.
Agents don't know about trade offers generally. If Brisson knew, someone would've had to have told him. The most likely explanation is the Habs leaked it to appease the section of the fanbase that wants everyone from Quebec to play there.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Laine never asked for a trade as far as I know. His agent stated that if the Jets weren't willing to play him with their best center, then they'd consider their options. Naturally that was taken out of context by this forum and spun to seem more dramatic.

I agree on the rest. Chevy won't be bullied into accepting some lowball offer like many Habs fans are hoping for.

I don't see the Habs going after him at this point. They already acquired another center and they seem content to tank again next year. More likely they leaked this rumor about the trade offer to appease the fans that want all players from Quebec to play for the Habs. Case in point: this absurdly long thread.

Regarding Laine, I didn't get the info from people on HF. I'm going off what Murat Ates said yesterday on a podcast with the The Athletic Montreal.

He brought up the Evander Kane asking for a trade every summer for years before he got moved. He mentioned Trouba's hold out and wanting to leave. And he said Laine asked for a trade and said even Roslovic asked to be moved because he felt he wasn't going to get more of an opportunity there.

If you want to give it a listen, here is the episode of the podcast, where they spent most of it with Murat talking about PLD and other things regarding the Jets and Habs:

Reactions: GreenLine

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Petry was only a distraction to what fans see. Not in the dressing room. There are different forms of distractions.

Uninspired on the ice? Yeah that's fair but he was also drowning like so many other players as well so was he really uninspired?
I don’t get what point you’re making. “Uninspired” players are the ones who are distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad