Rumor: Habs made an offer for Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
All the major sports news are all on that PLD to Habs again today ...
Think this thing is getting close to be honest

Of course, and Kyrie was traded to the Lakers a weeks ago.

So called pundits will pundit, that's just par for the course.

Reactions: Wats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry was the definition of a distraction. He finally shut his mouth when the coach was fired, but his play and attitude was embarrassing. I get the on ice was product was trash the first half of the season, but we gave him a pretty sweet retirement contract, the least he could do is act like a professional instead of giving up on the team and throwing a tantrum.

Petry was only a distraction to what fans see. Not in the dressing room. There are different forms of distractions.

Uninspired on the ice? Yeah that's fair but he was also drowning like so many other players as well so was he really uninspired?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Why would any team willingly pay the assets to get themselves involved with this diva when he's made it known he'll only entertain playing for the Habs?
Well I meant it more like I hadn’t heard another team involved I was curious if there was other reporting

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
True, but Dach will eventually ask for a raise if good. If Dubois wants to be in Montreal and we could lock him up at 8x$7.5M, I can see the logic in it for both teams.

I can’t see Dach making good money for a looong time given the weak supporting cast he has to work with in Montreal. If you’re speculating for a move next summer with an improved value from Dach on a good 22-23 season… I guess, but a lot of things will change by next year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He absolutely moves us out of the top three; possibly the top five. Dubois would have been our second highest point scorer last season. Not to mention, we had an insane amount of injuries, which contributed to us being so bad. So even without him, we probably won't be tanking to the degree Chicago and Arizona are. Regardless, why pay assets on top of worsening our draft position for a player we can simply sign a few years later and be better for it?

If Winnipeg wants our junk contracts like Hoffman. Sure, we can entertain a trade. No chance, Dach, Barron, Guhle or even our 2nd is apart of it.

That "long-term top six center" has quit on two teams now and been a complete baby about it. I'm not exactly keen on giving up any decent assets then throwing a 7M+ contract at a kid whose career season is 61 points.

Dubois can demand whatever he likes. We aren't obligated to give it to him. Right now, he isn't worth anywhere near 9M. If he wants to play for the Habs, he'll be taking less or we'll just not sign him. Keep in mind, he wants to play for us. We weren't actively trying to acquire him.

Oh, whether acquiring Dubois affects whether we draft 3rd or 6th matters little to me. I simply meant that he's not getting you out of a top pick, say top 10. The Atlantic division is far too strong for that and in all likelihood, the Canadiens are going to be the punching bag there along with Buffalo.

Regarding the signing him in two years thing, yeah, I get that. To me it's more about that if you like the player - which the Habs do - why would you risk things changing in two years, both on a personal and professional relationship? While waiting for two years seems like a clever idea on paper, I'd say that in the real world with real life implications, you probably want to get the deal done as far as possible. With that said, if the Jets won't budge barring an overpayment, well then, wait and I'm sure Dubois will understand. But if you want Dubois (and they've been playing footsie with him for years) then telling him to suck it for two years because you don't want to give up a couple of assets seems like bad business especially if the player seems to be doing everything in his power to play for you.

Also, really don't see the issue with giving 7 to a center who scores 60+ points. Cap is going up. That's actually a very good deal if you can get it.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
....But if you want Dubois (and they've been playing footsie with him for years) then telling him to suck it for two years because you don't want to give up a couple of assets seems like bad business especially if the player seems to be doing everything in his power to play for you.

Also, really don't see the issue with giving 7 to a center who scores 60+ points. Cap is going up. That's actually a very good deal if you can get it.
Keep in mind, what Bergevin wanted to do (ie, trade up to draft Dubois) is pretty much irrelevant to what the new administration does and doesn't want.

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
If Dach rebounds and projects be a solid 2C, I wonder if Dach for Dubois straight up would work?
Habs are keeping Dach.
If Chevy doesn't want Dvorak then he can keep PLD and trade him to a desperate team at the TDL and deal with the headache in the meantime.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Kent Hughes confirmed he has interest in Pierre-Luc Dubois.
Yes, but it's not the same as a long-standing interest in a player like you were alluding to.

For all we know Hughes thinks Dubois is a cancer, made a low-ball offer for him, and is now hoping he signs elsewhere long-term.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If Hughes thought Dubois was a cancer then he wouldn't make any offer at all.
If you think a guy is a 60 point big forward available for cheap, you might still make a lowball offer.

Some pretty horrible people get NHL contracts if they can produce.

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
If you think a guy is a 60 point big forward available for cheap, you might still make a lowball offer.

Some pretty horrible people get NHL contracts if they can produce.
Would be pretty fried to bring a guy you believe to be a cancer into your dressing room with a young rebuilding team even if he could be had for free.
For the record, I don't think PLD is a cancer at all and I know that Hughes doesn't either.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yes, but it's not the same as a long-standing interest in a player like you were alluding to.

For all we know Hughes thinks Dubois is a cancer, made a low-ball offer for him, and is now hoping he signs elsewhere long-term.

You're not making any sense.

I also highly doubt Brisson would be confirming Dubois' deep interest in Montreal were the Habs not very interested.

Reactions: Pongs21

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
You're not making any sense.

I also highly doubt Brisson would be confirming Dubois' deep interest in Montreal were the Habs not very interested.
Maybe I'm not explaining myself well, but I do make sense. You might not agree with my logic, though.

If Dubois is a mild cancer in the room, he is still worth having on a team, as a 60 point forward with size. But it means any offer will be for less than one might expect. Dubois can be a cancer but still want to be a Hab, and Hughes might be trying to get him at a discount as a cancer who only wants to play in one city.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Would be pretty fried to bring a guy you believe to be a cancer into your dressing room with a young rebuilding team even if he could be had for free.
For the record, I don't think PLD is a cancer at all and I know that Hughes doesn't either.

Montreal is a rebuilding team, but they're not all that young. They have a ton of veteran leadership still from their 2021 cup run.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If the Habs are not willing to exceed this then there is no incentive for the Jets to make a deal now because they can benefit from having him on the roster and still a good return later

How have Jets fans forgot that Dubois has a history of slagging off shifts when he doesn't get his way and wants to leave?

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
On the bright side PLD isn't doing this with 1 year left.....The Jets still hold more cards at this point.....Now if we were contenders or this was the last year of his deal he would be holding Chevy's feet to the fire with these public leaks....

While it sucks it could be much much much worse for the Jets

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
On the bright side PLD isn't doing this with 1 year left.....The Jets still hold more cards at this point.....Now if we were contenders or this was the last year of his deal he would be holding Chevy's feet to the fire with these public leaks....

While it sucks it could be much much much worse for the Jets

Cheveldayoff is also a very patient GM.

He's had a few players that asked to be traded and it took years before he moved them.

Evander Kane has said he asked a trade every summer for a few years before he was finally traded.

Trouba didn't want to stay. He even held out until he signed in November a 2-year deal that took him to UFA. He was traded the year after to the Rangers. He's another example of a Jets player who only wanted to go to one team.

Laine also wanted out long before he was traded.

So Cheveldayoff is not a GM who is impatient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad