Rumor: Habs made an offer for Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Aside from their core pieces I doubt they'd move, what do they have to trade?

Dvorak, Anderson, and Petry? Anything else of note?

Reactions: kevistar

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

Article is in French but apparently they made a good offer for Dubois recently.
ARTICLE TRANSLATED

In his former life as an agent, Kent Hughes was a fine negotiator. Qualities that he certainly still possesses in his position as general manager of the Canadian.

However, contrary to what one might think, a good negotiator does not necessarily imply being a good liar. For the past few days, rumors have been rife that the Canadian would eye Pierre-Luc Dubois.

"I can't talk about players from other teams. I've already been scolded for that, "said the general manager of the Canadian on Thursday when asked about his interest in the Quebec striker.

When colleague Jean-François Chaumont challenged him on the subject, Hughes smiled broadly. After biting his lip and probably turning his tongue seven times before speaking, he replied, "If we could afford to get a great established center in the NHL, for sure. we would be interested.”

However, the Canadian would have tried to get his hands on Pierre-Luc Dubois last week. A source familiar with the matter even claimed that Hughes made a very attractive offer to the Winnipeg Jets during the draft.

In his first full season with the Jets, the 24-year-old center had one of his best seasons with 60 points, including 28 goals.

A restricted free agent since July 13, Dubois has earned an annual salary of $5 million in each of the last two campaigns. We can expect him to pocket roughly the same amount. With perhaps a slight increase.

As a result, the Habs currently do not have enough room under the salary cap to make his acquisition. But if Hughes made a concrete offer to the Jets, it was because he had a plan in mind and he was confident that he could meet the limit set at $ 82.5 million for the next season.

Obviously, the departure of Jeff Petry would make things easier.

If Hughes was put off by the first question, he probably interpreted it as a sounding call about a hostile offer. Although it would be possible for the GM of the Canadian to do so, it would not be in the interest of the team to do so.

For an offer of between $4.2 million and $6.3 million, the Canadiens should give the Jets, as compensation, their first and third round picks. For the next level ($6.3 million to $8.4 million), an additional second-round pick is needed.

Compensatory picks must be returned in the next draft. As the Canadiens are likely to qualify for the Connor Bedard lottery, it's safe to assume Hughes won't be interested in giving him to the Jets.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Don’t put any weight into this. This is TVA inventing things. They say nothing of substance in the article and it’s all based on Hughes “smiling” when asked about a player like dubois. This is far fetched at best.

Dubois trade ain’t happening.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It's inevitable that he ends up in Montreal so if the cost is too high just circle back a year later, and if it's still high then just wait til his a free agent in 2024. The benefit of getting him early is locking in an 8th year and letting him hit UFA while he's still a serviceable player instead of having an overpaid Vlasic type contract if you sign it too late

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
It's inevitable that he ends up in Montreal so if the cost is too high just circle back a year later, and if it's still high then just wait til his a free agent in 2024. The benefit of getting him early is locking in an 8th year and letting him hit UFA while he's still a serviceable player instead of having an overpaid Vlasic type contract if you sign it too late
I'll bet you 100$ he doesn't sign with the Habs in 2024 unless he gets traded here before.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Don’t put any weight into this. This is TVA inventing things. They say nothing of substance in the article and it’s all based on Hughes “smiling” when asked about a player like dubois. This is far fetched at best.

Dubois trade ain’t happening.
he smiled? i mean what else do we need as a confirmation, that the transaction will be done soon.

wright only stared down and it provoked all those speculations. just imagine, if he smiled ...

Reactions: Kaizen

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I sincerely hope this is just TVA sports pandering to their base. There's zero reason we should be giving up assets for Dubois. We're just hurting our own draft position because unless Slafkovski defies all expectations and becomes a 30+ goal scorer, we're not a playoff team quite yet.

Ride out this season, possibly next and pick up Dubois for free alongside at least another top ten pick.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Halak, Ryder, and a 2nd

Funny enough I wouldn't actually give that up for Dubois if we had 2007 Ryder/Halak. Habs need a future starter and Ryder was already producing more than Dubois and only 26/27.

Reactions: viceroy

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Just like it was inevitable that Bobby Ryan was going to Philly forever, right?

You can't count on stuff like that is all I'm saying.

Reactions: pengineer

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks Cheveldayoff, Montreal didnt lost asset. We will get him for free in 2 years, there is no rush.

Reactions: behemolari
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad