Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat Predators assisted by the stanchion

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Congrats to the Captain for scoring his 100th career goal.

I think the current group needs to learn how to win and compete. Losing begats losing.
They've already shown they're going to compete every night. A nice string of losses isn't suddenly going to break them. They've had them before and recovered just fine.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
That's kind of the point tbh. Caufield scored a lot. He got keyed on and was rendered nearly useless. He had to adapt and, maybe even more, the PP strategies had to adapt. He now plays all kind of roles as a distributor on the PP. He is rounding out his offensive game in a major way this year even though the goals are down.

When the PKs adapt to the new Habs system and renders this one less effective, we will see a resurgence of opportunities for Caufield.

There is however some truth to the fact that he will need to start position into closer to the circles a bit more often again. He moved to the perimeter to open up playmaking options, but by doing so he made his shot less dangerous. He will need to balance it out over time. He seems like a smart guy and he understands offense, I am not worried.
He did got better in many aspects but i wonder if maybe he plays that type of game because he doesn’t feel like his shot is 100% yet and he wants to contribute. But making him work on the boards doesn’t allow him to play in the open space like he’s supposed to for him to score as often as he should.

Reactions: Andrei79

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's what's best for the team long term. Giving it your all isn't magically going to make elite talent fall onto this roster.
Neither is finishing a couple spots lower in the lottery.

Giving it your all does help with the development of the young guys already on the roster though and that's probably better for the teams long term outlook then having the lottery odds go from 6% to 8%.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Congrats to the Captain for scoring his 100th career goal.

I think the current group needs to learn how to win and compete. Losing begats losing.
Exactly. You just need to look at the Oilers for a long time and the Sabres where a player like O'Reilly talked about the constant losing affecting him mentally.

People too often forget that hockey players are human beings and they want the positive feeling of winning even if their team is not very good.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Can't disagree with Gallagher's approach. You want the players to think this way. It's obviously on the organization to find ways to look at the bigger picture.

This team has had a great attitude right from the golf outing pre-camp. They just need more talent and some REAL grit in the bottom 6.
2nd most used Dman Tonight? Arber Xhekaj 20:20
That is exactly what I meant when I said he earned his ice time. I love seeing replays of players not keen on fore checking or retrieving pucks in his corner.
Imagine the ice time he'd have if Marty liked him. :sarcasm:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Neither is finishing a couple spots lower in the lottery.

Giving it your all does help with the development of the young guys already on the roster though and that's probably better for the teams long term outlook then having the lottery odds go from 6% to 8%.
It most certainly is. Could've had Fantilli/Smith if we tanked a little harder last year. Going to miss out on Demidov this year for a couple of spots.

Reactions: habsfan891

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They've already shown they're going to compete every night. A nice string of losses isn't suddenly going to break them. They've had them before and recovered just fine.
Leaving the ice dejected after busting your ass all night vs leaving the ice after Suzuki scores in OT makes a huge difference. To each their own

It most certainly is. Could've had Fantilli/Smith if we tanked a little harder last year. Going to miss out on Demidov this year for a couple of spots.
Tanked a little harder? What does that even mean? I can see Marty during his pep talk telling his team...hey guys if you tank a little harder tonight we could get a better pick and replace one of you as early as next season...makes sense

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
And we had Michkov available at our pick anyways so we had elite talent available anyways. Go back through the drafts and you'll see that if you're picking 7 like we currently are there's always guys that were available that would go much higher in a re-draft. The elite talent will be there, it's down to identifying and then nurturing them properly.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm all for drafting Iginla, however I do have to wonder if he won't get picked higher than many think.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
And we had Michkov available at our pick anyways so we had elite talent available anyways. Go back through the drafts and you'll see that if you're picking 7 like we currently are there's always guys that were available that would go much higher in a re-draft. The elite talent will be there, it's down to identifying and then nurturing them properly.
You can also see that in most drafts higher picks have been associated with higher likelihood of drafting elite players. Sure there's some players that scouts overlooked or misjudged but on average top talent concentrates towards the top of the draft.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The one thing that is impressing me is the shot Suzuki's has unfurled the second half of this season.
The precision is awesome on net or on iron for the most part.
Better velocity better release and heavy particularly when he lets it go on the fly.

Did he also work with the shot doctor because he had a good shot in the past but recently he's been showing off a great shot.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You can also see that in most drafts higher picks have been associated with higher likelihood of drafting elite players. Sure there's some players that scouts overlooked or misjudged but on average top talent concentrates towards the top of the draft.
And we will be in the top of the draft regardless. Yeah pick #6 is going to give you slightly better odds then pick #7, but the difference is small, whereas the positive development environment that helps guys like Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Guhle, Xhekaj, Roy, etc... become better versions of themselves is vastly more important to the long term outlook of the team.

Reactions: Tyson

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nope, I won 5 bucks lol
We all won thanks to your hilarious posts in the GDT.

For those who missed out on them ...

TFBs7sj.png

:sarcasm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In 2024, there needs to be a way to correct missed high sticks.

Gotta be infuriating for guhle to take that stick, and then realize it was for nothing.

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
*Everyone is a winner on draft day*

Doubters in disbelief

I love his untroubled game. Second line minutes with an unexperienced Newhook at center and just not making any dumb mistakes.
The hands are undeniable as is his savvy.

In 2024, there needs to be a way to correct missed high sticks.

Gotta be infuriating for guhle to take that stick, and then realize it was for nothing.
Isn't that consecutive games now blatant high sticks are missed by all four officials.
Damn they never miss ours.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad