Dallas is a Paper Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Stone makes 9 million and Hertyl alone makes what 8? So Hanifin and Mantha cost a million towards the cap?

If your gonna whine and be a sore loser at least get your facts straight.
They basically got Hertl who is massively overrated and has been for a couple of years. Mantha is even more useless and they would have added Hanifin regardless of Stone.
Get your facts straight. 1. Its Hertl. 2. Hertl is only 6.75.mil cap hit because of retention. 3. Hanifin also has 50% retention and is only 2.475.million cap hit. Stones cap hit is almost equal to both theres put together. Barely less. Granted they also added mantha with 50% retention who is a 2.85 mil cap hit, so they could have afforded hanifin had they not added mantha first.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stars showed they can beat the cheats last night. When the Stars turned it on, the Knights had no answer for their possession game except for a flukey all world performance by Thompson.

Reactions: Deas and Eegs

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Stars showed they can beat the cheats last night. When the Stars turned it on, the Knights had no answer for their possession game except for a flukey all world performance by Thompson.
Stars need to finish better. Thompson stood on his head, but they made that easier on him than they needed to. Need to shoot upstairs more. Way too many low shots and almost looked like they kept trying to beat him 5 hole (maybe 5 hole was a pre scouting weakness I'm not sure). That should have been a 6-2 game as least.

Reactions: LightningStorm

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Stars need to finish better. Thompson stood on his head, but they made that easier on him than they needed to. Need to shoot upstairs more. Way too many low shots and almost looked like they kept trying to beat him 5 hole (maybe 5 hole was a pre scouting weakness I'm not sure). That should have been a 6-2 game as least.

Five hole is a massive weakness, look how he goes down. He leaves one pad at 10-15 degree angle before coming down fully. I don't really think they were going five hole though, too many shots mid section/pads.

Reactions: piqued

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Five hole is a massive weakness, look how he goes down. He leaves one pad at 10-15 degree angle before coming down fully. I don't really think they were going five hole though, too many shots mid section/pads.
I only saw the extended highlight pack, but yeah way too many low shots that just looked way too easy for Thompson. I know Dallas is more of a deep team than a top heavy star team with elite game breaking shooters, but still with that many looks they should have lit up a goalie like Thompson. He played well, but he's not an elite goalie and they made him look like one.

Johnston just needs to shoot for the top corner every time. Kid has a nasty shot and looked like he was also shooting low far too much.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeh what was with the Stars shooting low. They need to bear down and actually aim those shots. Like the shot that finished it in OT. Johnston was all over that game for the Stars last night too, he had multiple opportunities and was dragging the stars into the fight when needed.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Playoffsareoverrated

Jan 23, 2021
Espoo, Finalnd
I know that HFBoards absolutely loves and overrates Heiskanen, so I hate to break it down for you guys. Dallas will never win the Stanley Cup with Heiskanen as your best 'defender.' That guy is great on offense, but he is just too soft and a bad defender. He is simply not a winning player when it matters. Can you even imagine this guy dropping his gloves for the team?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
This reads like a very long winded way of calling Vegas bush league and Tampa totally fine for doing the same thing with the same result.
As my Dad used to say, he used a lot of words to say not much of anything.:)

I know that HFBoards absolutely loves and overrates Heiskanen, so I hate to break it down for you guys. Dallas will never win the Stanley Cup with Heiskanen as your best 'defender.' That guy is great on offense, but he is just too soft and a bad defender. He is simply not a winning player when it matters. Can you even imagine this guy dropping his gloves for the team?
Oddly enough, your take is about 180 degrees from the typical take on Miro. He is a great defender, and probably could do a lot more offensively, but he doesn't shoot as much as he should.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Interesting analysis, why would he need to drop his gloves to win the Cup? Usually fighting is non-existent in the playoffs.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Such a brutal take.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
100% agree.
Stars fan and I sort of agree with some of the post below, in that I wonder if a team with old and young players, with fewer in their prime age, is the formula to win the Cup. That said, it is what it is, and Nill has built a team that should be a contender. Not as crazy a situation as Vegas having no drafted players on its roster. There are many ways to build a team, although doing so mostly through the draft means they will more likely be competitive longer. LVG reminds me a bit of the post 1999 stars that wanted to keep their window open for Modano and traded most of their first round picks to do so, although it failed. LVG ought to enjoy this while they can, as I doubt they can keep it up, although the clever cap work basically bought them a few years of dominance.

Most players on the team say Benn is not vocal, but is the leader by example of hard, if not always productive play. A guy who plays power forward and scored 32 and 22(?) goals in the last two years certainly isn't trash, even if he doesn't live up to the contract. Next year is his last.

We know Pavs is washed (and was demoted off the top line, but hey, 27 goals in your swan song season is pretty good) and Suter is close and may wear out with the extra minutes he gets because they don't trust Lundquist. I was surprised that Duchene looked tired last night at times.

Can DeBoer win the Cup? This argument reminds me of Eddie Belour being accused of not being able to win the "big ones" until he actually did. Very typical mindset, but he has coached in a lot of Conference Finals, so I think he is a good coach. As hinted in some post, I agree that sometimes he has trouble adjusting in game, but I am not sure how you measure that one. Stars were one of the tops in the second period and in comeback wins, so I think he should get some credit for that. Also, last night he managed to cure the biggest problem the Stars had, which was getting passes around the Knights defending sticks (which are excellent) to get a huge edge in high scoring chances. So, he actually did adjust game to game.

I know we root against refs (STH and I hear it at most games) but is it any different or worse than any other team, really?

So, overall, I think this guy's "hot take" is lukewarm at best.
I will say that Dallas' in arena fans seem to root against the refs as much as they root for their own team.

As for the team, their most talented players are young. I really would like to see them get a new captain. I think Jamie Benn is absolute trash, and I wonder what the culture is there with him as the leader.

Also DeBoer may be one of the most overrated coaches ever. He is great at getting you to the playoffs and terrible once you get there.

So I think if they get rid of Benn and DeBoer, they could be scary good.

My hot take.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
More like a sleeping tiger...

Dallas needs to embrace a killer instinct. I don't see it from them. They got the tools and can bounce Vegas out, but they need to put in the work and effort. Stars players, why doesn't the Cup mean enough for y'all to go out there and destroy them? Where's the hunger? Where's the grind? Knock the nonsense off and go get 'em!!

Reactions: MBTendy

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Oddly enough, your take is about 180 degrees from the typical take on Miro. He is a great defender, and probably could do a lot more offensively, but he doesn't shoot as much as he should.
That guy can't even spell Finland, his opinion can just be tossed in the bin.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Dallas has an incredible top 9 forward group and goaltender. But I think they're missing one more legit piece on defence to compliment Heiskanen and Harley

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Stars fan and I sort of agree with some of the post below, in that I wonder if a team with old and young players, with fewer in their prime age, is the formula to win the Cup.

All are important. As one example of endless, look at Boston in 2011. You had Patrice Bergeron in his prime, young Tyler Seguin on an entry-level contract, and Mark Recchi, an old, experienced veteran past his prime. In other words, having salary controlled veterans, salary controlled good to great young players on ELC's, and prime players are important. I only picked one of each, but there are more of each, and that applies to most cup teams. Even when there was no salary cap, look at the 2001 Avalanche: post-prime Ray Bourque (Hall of Famer now), prime Rob Blake, Foresberg, Sakic (all Hall of Famers now), Hart & Vezina finalist level Patrick Roy, despite being 35 (also now Hall of Famer), and 21 year old Alex Tanguay at just a sliver under point per game in the regular season & playoffs.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They're still gonna win this series in 7 most likely, it's a carbon copy of last year's Devils/Rangers series. They just need Otter to play at the level he's shown in the past, they've gotten virtually nothing out of him the past playoffs since that epic game 7 v Calgary

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Stars fan and I sort of agree with some of the post below, in that I wonder if a team with old and young players, with fewer in their prime age, is the formula to win the Cup. That said, it is what it is, and Nill has built a team that should be a contender. Not as crazy a situation as Vegas having no drafted players on its roster. There are many ways to build a team, although doing so mostly through the draft means they will more likely be competitive longer. LVG reminds me a bit of the post 1999 stars that wanted to keep their window open for Modano and traded most of their first round picks to do so, although it failed. LVG ought to enjoy this while they can, as I doubt they can keep it up, although the clever cap work basically bought them a few years of dominance.

Most players on the team say Benn is not vocal, but is the leader by example of hard, if not always productive play. A guy who plays power forward and scored 32 and 22(?) goals in the last two years certainly isn't trash, even if he doesn't live up to the contract. Next year is his last.

We know Pavs is washed (and was demoted off the top line, but hey, 27 goals in your swan song season is pretty good) and Suter is close and may wear out with the extra minutes he gets because they don't trust Lundquist. I was surprised that Duchene looked tired last night at times.

Can DeBoer win the Cup? This argument reminds me of Eddie Belour being accused of not being able to win the "big ones" until he actually did. Very typical mindset, but he has coached in a lot of Conference Finals, so I think he is a good coach. As hinted in some post, I agree that sometimes he has trouble adjusting in game, but I am not sure how you measure that one. Stars were one of the tops in the second period and in comeback wins, so I think he should get some credit for that. Also, last night he managed to cure the biggest problem the Stars had, which was getting passes around the Knights defending sticks (which are excellent) to get a huge edge in high scoring chances. So, he actually did adjust game to game.

I know we root against refs (STH and I hear it at most games) but is it any different or worse than any other team, really?

So, overall, I think this guy's "hot take" is lukewarm at best.
I expected disagreement and I appreciate your explanation.

My problem with Benn is that I find his leadership to be lacking. Last playoffs were a prime example. Benn blows a gasket, makes an incredibly bad play, and the team plays better during his two game suspension. He comes back and the team plays worse. There is probably more to the story than what I saw, but that's what I saw.

So when I say he is trash, I don't mean in terms of hockey production, I mean in terms of leadership. If he leads by example, what example was he setting with that play and his comments to the media afterwards? Doesn't sound or look like a Stanley Cup winning captain to me.

DeBoer can get credit for a couple wins in the postseason, sure, and they are hard to come by, but he needs to put together 16 of them in a single postseason. Possible? Maybe? Nothing I have seen from him makes me think he is capable. I do think he is the weakest coach we had at Vegas.

I just don't see Dallas getting there with the kind of leadership they have including their captain and coach. But they can easily prove me wrong this year.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Less this and more fighting?
23525.jpg

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I will say that Dallas' in arena fans seem to root against the refs as much as they root for their own team.

As for the team, their most talented players are young. I really would like to see them get a new captain. I think Jamie Benn is absolute trash, and I wonder what the culture is there with him as the leader.

Also DeBoer may be one of the most overrated coaches ever. He is great at getting you to the playoffs and terrible once you get there.

So I think if they get rid of Benn and DeBoer, they could be scary good.

My hot take.
I'm not a huge DeBoer fan, but to say he's terrible once you get to the playoffs might be off. He's made it to the Finals four and the third round twice in 16 years.

I mostly don't think he is effective at staying relevant with one team

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad