Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
I was never a big fan of his when he was the GM and HC here in Hamilton in year 1.. I feel for u guelph storm fans.. Honestly just being truthful if u guys didn't have merkley you guys would have one crazy season just being honest.. He likes to put ur top prospects on the 4th line until last 4-7 games of season untik he moves ur vet players then u will see those players get good lines...

Happen to matt strome his rookie year.. Was put on the 3rd-4th line until Harper got traded then saw second line minutes. Donr see any of ur top prospects getting key mins..

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Honestly I wish they would just clean house and start over with a new coaching staff. Not with someone who has had any connection to the Guelph Storm team past or present. And I definitely don't like seeing one person doing two highly demanding and stressful jobs. I don't believe that he can give 100% to either job and that is going to hurt the team.

Westside

Dec 31, 2012
All I can say get ready for some really boring hockey. George's coaching style will put you to sleep. He is a good GM but terrible HC.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
All I can say get ready for some really boring hockey. George's coaching style will put you to sleep. He is a good GM but terrible HC.
I guess you were not in Guelph in 1998. Because they won The O and lost in overtime in the cup final to Portland that was ranked number I'm the CHL all year. Bye the way Gorge was the coach. And he alsongot the Bulls to the cup in Kitchener.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I guess you were not in Guelph in 1998. Because they won The O and lost in overtime in the cup final to Portland that was ranked number I'm the CHL all year. Bye the way Gorge was the coach. And he alsongot the Bulls to the cup in Kitchener.

Very hard to argue his ability or success quite frankly at either role. Personally in today's game the jobs should be seperated. Why not have a Head Coach and a GM just an extra set of eyes that makes you less apt to "miss one" or make a mistake? Other then Ego or Finance it doesn't make sense?

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Very hard to argue his ability or success quite frankly at either role. Personally in today's game the jobs should be seperated. Why not have a Head Coach and a GM just an extra set of eyes that makes you less apt to "miss one" or make a mistake? Other then Ego or Finance it doesn't make sense?

Other than there will never be a worry about the coach and GM being on the same page... Drafting will be to the coaches style and the coaching system will be geared to the players being drafted...

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Shout-out to the human highlight reel.

Ryan Merkley wins the Emms Family Award for Rookie of the Year!!!

Congrats Ryan. Here's to many more successes.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Pretty disappointing to hear the Jackson twins weren't at the orientation camp

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Pretty disappointing to hear the Jackson twins weren't at the orientation camp

It was pretty disappointing to hear that Kelly drafted them.
Passing up on players like Zabaneh, D'Amico, Wendt, Brimmer, Diodati, Frasca, Ishmael, Hoffman, Andrews and Patterson is very disappointing.
I just hope he has cleared out his last pen and pencil.

If you look at Burrnetts last two drafts in Flint, (Dellandrea, Holmes, Busby, Wismer, Littlejohn, Keppen, Gretz, Burridge, Pallandra) the Storm should finally improve in future drafts.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Passing up on players like Zabaneh, D'Amico, Wendt, Brimmer, Diodati, Frasca, Ishmael, Hoffman, Andrews and Patterson is very disappointing.

If you look at Burrnetts last two drafts in Flint, (Dellandrea, Holmes, Busby, Wismer, Littlejohn, Keppen, Gretz, Burridge, Pallandra) the Storm should finally improve in future drafts.

Interesting 5 of the 10 players you mentioned that Kelly didn't draft, D'Amico, Patterson, Frasca,Andrews and Brimmer,were drafted by Windsor,all after the 5th,and all of them with the exception of Andrews who was okay, played very well at the recent Spitfire rookie camp especially D'Amico and Frasca.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

I think the 2016 draft happened before George showed up and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the decisions on the 2017 draft were mostly left up to Asst GM Stefan and head scout McParlan. He was in the arena nearly every night, so I'm not sure how much scouting he did. That being said I was happy with him as a GM and wish he was still in Flint in that role. There's a lot of picks and young talent for him to work with in Guelph and would be surprised if he didn't find some measure of success. I know there's been criticism of Merkley, but he was 16. I expect a monster year or two out of him as he and his game mature.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Hello Storm fans. We are going to miss George Burnett in Flint and the great job he did. I have a question. Does anyone know anything about a U-18 Draft Pick Flint selected in D Scott Gaetz who played for the Toronto Marlboros this past season? Thank you in advance and congrats on the quick signing of Tag Bertuzzi.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Hello Storm fans. We are going to miss George Burnett in Flint and the great job he did. I have a question. Does anyone know anything about a U-18 Draft Pick Flint selected in D Scott Gaetz who played for the Toronto Marlboros this past season? Thank you in advance and congrats on the quick signing of Tag Bertuzzi.

All I know is he is our owner's son. Probably a "favor" pick and unlikely to be an OHL player.

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
Anyone hear if the Storm are gonna use there import pick and release Michnac or keep Michnac and let the #4 pick go?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Anyone hear if the Storm are gonna use there import pick and release Michnac or keep Michnac and let the #4 pick go?

You would have to think they could get a draft pick for him. I personally would love to see the Petes trade for him as they won't be able to get somebody in round 2 anywhere near as talented as him...

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

No comment on the retaining of the assistants.

Congrats to Phil Golding though! He's certainly paid his dues over the last almost decade that I've been in Guelph, and I wish him well. Knowing him a little, it couldn't have happened to a better dude.

Really hoping to see some player movement once the Memorial Cup is decided. While coaching certainly can help, it's really the players on the ice who will decide the games and this team needs more positive difference makers.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Import Draft

So it looks like they have a decision to make about imports. With the 4th pick it would make sense to try and use it to get more assets to build on. With Michnac and Samorukov still eligible for at least another year. I don't see Samorukov sticking in the NHL next year.

I would do one of three things, one, trade Michnac to another team needing an import that has low pick this year and Guelph make a pick to replace him. Two, keep Michnac since he showed offensive flair in the first half last year, make a pick for someone in OHL looking at a specific player who may not be there when they pick and then do a trade for a non-import roster player. Three, trade the pick to another team and get a young non-import player with big upside in return.

Either way, I think its a valuable position to be in going into the import draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad