Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Part of me wonders if one of the requirements for hosting the top prospects game is that it would be likely that there would be a player from the home town team in the game which Guelph fits as Merkley will likely be in it.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Just announced, Skalde will not be back next year. I'd imagine none of us are shocked.
However I will say it's never ideal going into a draft without a coach or GM for the kids and parents to meet.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Just announced, Skalde will not be back next year. I'd imagine none of us are shocked.
However I will say it's never ideal going into a draft without a coach or GM for the kids and parents to meet.

My guess we are going to see the announcement post draft as whoever is going to be hired is probably drafting for someone else this weekend. Just my guess though. As for Skalde I just did not see him as a good fit here. I have voiced my opinion on that. Good luck to him in the future. I assume we see someone with a track record of working with Jr aged kids announced. Now my question is do we see someone in a dual role?

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I agree that it's not exactly a great selling point to have no coach or GM at the draft. Not shocked as this team is always seemingly doing things backwards, but my guess here is they didn't have a ton of choice.

I think their new GM is currently employed in a different org and is staying to complete the work they have done all year leading up to the draft.

I think the coach will be coming from elsewhere. But no need to announce the coach without the GM - that's his/her job.

All that said, I think the org knows who will be coach and GM and they can tell the players and their parents without telling us. After all, we're only the paying customers, lol.

Also, I am relatively sure that there is no sell job needed on their #2 overall pick.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Who are we kidding, its Walker as GM and Harvey as Head Coach. :laugh:

The team won't add payroll if they can help it.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Who are we kidding, its Walker as GM and Harvey as Head Coach. :laugh:

The team won't add payroll if they can help it.

I would turn in my season tickets...
In all seriousness though. That is the reason I was wo seeing about someone in a dual role. I thought I remembered seeing something about Skalde being signed through next year . So that would put them on the hook for a year more of his salary. I could be totally wring on that though.
Chico could be up for it!

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

No coach no Manager and from what it seems from the outside looking in not much of a plan in place to start from and fans in question for next season and down the road seems like a dark Storm cloud hanging over Guelph and it's not coloured Maroon and White best of luck sorting out the future with limited time till draft day

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
No coach no Manager and from what it seems from the outside looking in not much of a plan in place to start from and fans in question for next season and down the road seems like a dark Storm cloud hanging over Guelph and it's not coloured Maroon and White best of luck sorting out the future with limited time till draft day

In my opinion, a plan is in place. They just won't announce anything until after the draft. My guess would be Todd Bertuzzi taking over behind the bench, but we shall see. :popcorn:

As for the team itself, it's coming around. We should see playoffs this upcoming season and have a real good team the year after.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
In my opinion, a plan is in place. They just won't announce anything until after the draft. My guess would be Todd Bertuzzi taking over behind the bench, but we shall see. :popcorn:

As for the team itself, it's coming around. We should see playoffs this upcoming season and have a real good team the year after.

There have been a few rumours this year that we're after the coaching services of Bertuzzi as well. Apparently he isn't interested in coaching if his son's on the team at the major junior level from what I heard (there's a lot of local media pressure at this level when it comes to a guy coaching his son. Mike Foligno took a beating whenever the Wolves slumped while Nick and Marcus played), but I would also imagine that applies to coaching against his son. I can see him coaching either one of our teams after Tag's junior career is over.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
They will have a GM at the draft. Mr. Kelly is still with the team until May 31. He has been working towards the draft for sometime.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.

They just let there coach go yesterday. What do you exp., them to hire someone over nigh. Mr. Kelly is still the GM intill May 31.Sorry. this was ment for Attack sound.

Last edited:

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014

Your comment is pretty laughable. Kelly is still here for draft. Coach let go obviously because the replacement is known for both Kelly and Skalde. Likely cannot announce prior to draft as replacement could very well be drafting for someone else. Aside from Kelly leaving, I am as optimistic with where this team is going now as I ever have been. The young core in this group is pretty awesome. Add a second overall pick to that and all the picks we have in cupboard to move. This team is about a year away from a championship run. I am very confident in the direction.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Barrie Colts have made it official that they will be selecting Ryan Suzuki first overall.

My bet is that we will have another generation of Bertuzzi by 9:10 a.m. tomorrow morning.

I have absolutely no problem with that.:welcome:

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Draft will be interesting

I think this year's draft will be most interesting, primarily because of the US factor. It seems 6 of the top 12 prospects have USNTDP and/or US college commitments, meaning anyone drafting them is taking a risk, unless they have assurances they will report. More likely, as we have seen, they will only report if the 'right' team drafts them. Personally I think that's wrong, but I'm sure it will be pointed out by someone "These are teens, no one owns them, they are free to do this so until the OHL passes a new rule it's going to happen".
Sad but true.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
2017 draft picks

Any chance we can draft a highly rated D who's over 5'10"?
Lots of 6'2 and over D left who can actually play defence - lets get one:help:

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
They heard me! lol!

Mark Woolley 6'2" 192
SCOUTING REPORT: Mark is a big, versatile defenceman that has
a presence each time he is on the ice. He is a lengthy defender with
very good mobility. He has a good skill set and is not afraid to rush
the puck when the opportunity arises. Mark sees the ice well from
the back end and makes good outlet passes. He shoots the puck
well and does a great job of using his feet to find the open lane to
the net. He is used in every situation by his coaches and plays at all
the key times as well.

mcreferee

Jun 6, 2011
Draft

Curious as to why this organization just doesn't seem to want to draft goaltenders..or at least waits to the very last.

Three third round picks...one of them would have been great to use to grab one of the higher ranked goaltenders. Seems they'd rather spend asset on someone another team doesn't want or has given up on.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Kellys Picks

Tag Bertuzzi
Mason Primeau
Anthony Aguanno
Mark Wooley
Dennis Golovatchev
Ty Jackson
Dylan Jackson
Eric Ciccolini
Cole Brady
Clark Hiebert
Steven Grant
Nicholas Haas
Alton McDermott
Ethan Eliopulos
Jonah Bailey

My Picks

Graeme Clark
Marcus Gretz
Anthony Aguanno
Xavier Henry
Daniel DAmico
Nicholas Zabaneh
Austin Brimmer
Brendan Hoffman
Qwen Say
Erik Yelle
Brodie McDougall
Daniel Torrealba
Levi Siau
Matthew Crasa
Justin Nolet

Ringo6

Apr 8, 2017
Some terrible picks in the middle of the draft. Why on earth would we draft a pair of twins that might weigh 250 combined. They are good skaters but will never play an ohl game

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Kellys Picks

Tag Bertuzzi
Mason Primeau
Anthony Aguanno
Mark Wooley
Dennis Golovatchev
Ty Jackson
Dylan Jackson
Eric Ciccolini
Cole Brady
Clark Hiebert
Steven Grant
Nicholas Haas
Alton McDermott
Ethan Eliopulos
Jonah Bailey

My Picks

Graeme Clark
Marcus Gretz
Anthony Aguanno
Xavier Henry
Daniel DAmico
Nicholas Zabaneh
Austin Brimmer
Brendan Hoffman
Qwen Say
Erik Yelle
Brodie McDougall
Daniel Torrealba
Levi Siau
Matthew Crasa
Justin Nolet

Interesting,4 of your picks
DAmico,Brimmer, Yelle and Crasa,
were all drafted by Windsor.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Interesting,4 of your picks
DAmico,Brimmer, Yelle and Crasa,
were all drafted by Windsor.

Yes...all very good players
DAmico played up with the Marlies last year as well, more speed and skill than Golovatchev IMO
Brimmer is a true power forward, net front, great player vs his team mate at 5'3, 130
Two of the Marlies top four D were available in Yelle and DeGiorgis and the Storm select Hiebert. Kinda like how they took Liam Stevens over both Entwistle and Clarke of the Marlies I guess.
Liked Crasa, Penwar and Devereaux from the Elite team

With the limited picks Windsor had they did extremely well

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Yes...all very good players
DAmico played up with the Marlies last year as well, more speed and skill than Golovatchev IMO
Brimmer is a true power forward, net front, great player vs his team mate at 5'3, 130
Two of the Marlies top four D were available in Yelle and DeGiorgis and the Storm select Hiebert. Kinda like how they took Liam Stevens over both Entwistle and Clarke of the Marlies I guess.
Liked Crasa, Penwar and Devereaux from the Elite team

With the limited picks Windsor had they did extremely well

Hey Chico - thanks for posting your picks. Very interesting that the only pick you had in common was Aguanno. It will be interesting to see how your picks fare over the next year or two.
As for myself, I'm pretty happy with our first four picks - those are really the ones I see ever wearing the jersey. The twins - interesting strategy (almost Hunter-esque).....if they grow. I'm quite tired of seeing undersized players getting pushed off the play despite their pestilence. I found the 5-9 line entertaining to watch this past year, but at the end of the game, largely ineffective . Having said that, I don't see Sicoly or Ralph back next year, or Stevens for that matter, unless he turns on that bulldog approach that MK purported when he was first drafted. I can't see Hotchkiss cracking the lineup either, but I felt that way last year too.

Looking forward to seeing another Bertuzzi in the fold, as well as Primeau - Woolley and Aguanno I hope will show good. Anything beyond that is gravy IMO. As for current players nudged out - that's another post - although I've played some cards here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad