Stevens/Primeau/Poot
Sicoly/Ralph/Kirwin

McFadden(OA)/Merkley
Samarukov/Shoemaker(OA)
Tetrault/Makkonen
Hanna/Aguanno

Popovich
Daws

Can such a line up win 10 more games than last year?
Would put them at 31 wins and approx. 68pts.
Good enough for 8th and final playoff spot?
Can see them improving from 202 goals for to 250.
Question can the defence and goal tending improve from 297 goal against two years in a row?
Thoughts?

Last edited:

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Can such a line up win 10 more games than last year?
Would put them at 31 wins and approx. 68pts.
Good enough for 8th and final playoff spot?
Can see them improving from 202 goals for to 250.
Question can the defence and goal tending improve from 297 goal against two years in a row?
Thoughts?

When you put it this way....we're doomed.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Based on that paper roster, gotta figure there will be at least another forward or two shown the door.

Stevens I would think would be one of them, as it appears that Poirier is a slightly better version of the same player, and with a higher upside.

I would say Sicoly/Ralph/Kirwin will be in tough as well. I don't really have a preference between the three "grinding" type forwards....it just seems redundant to have three very similar players on a roster that is desperate for more skill.

Gotta think Tetrault and Makkonnen will be in tough too.

It would appear that GMGB is moving the timeline up a year (probably because there is a scenario where a lot of the core pieces will be gone after this year) so I expect there will be more changes before the season starts. I could see some players and picks being moved for a top line '98 centreman and/or a minute logging '98 dman.

Just with the couple of moves so far, and the drafting of a '99 European player as opposed to a 2000 who would perhaps be here an extra year, it would appear they are looking to make some noise this year.

For goodness sakes, though.........get a goalie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I think for sure bets on a lineup and this isn't my line combinations are as follows:

Forwards
Hawel/Ratcliffe/Schnarr
McEwen/Smith/Deakin-Pout
Bertuzzi/Primeau/Stevenson
Toropchenko/Portier/???
???/???/???

Also in the mix but not assured a spot at forward
Hotchkiss
Kirwin
Sicoly
Ralph
Stevens

Defense
Makkonen/Samorukov
Merkley/McFadden
Hanna/Aquanno

Also in the mix at defense
Shoemaker (if he reports)
Tetrault
Farrance (if he reports)

Goal
Popovich
Daws

My thoughts are that Sicoly, Ralph, Stevens and Hotchkiss are the last four forwards.

If Shoemaker and Farrance report, Hanna and Makkonen are on the outside looking in.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
You will love the open ice body checks that Poirier likes to throw. Guys certainly have their head up when he's on the ice. It's my understanding that there may have been some "off ice" contributors to his underachieving with the Troops. He gets his $h!t together you got the best player in that trade by a long shot.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I think for sure bets on a lineup and this isn't my line combinations are as follows:

Forwards
Hawel/Ratcliffe/Schnarr
McEwen/Smith/Deakin-Pout
Toropchenko/Portier/???
???/???/???

Also in the mix but not assured a spot at forward
Hotchkiss
Kirwin
Sicoly
Ralph
Stevens

Defense
Makkonen/Samorukov
Merkley/McFadden
Hanna/Aquanno

Also in the mix at defense
Shoemaker (if he reports)
Tetrault
Farrance (if he reports)

Goal
Popovich
Daws

My thoughts are that Sicoly, Ralph, Stevens and Hotchkiss are the last four forwards.

If Shoemaker and Farrance report, Hanna and Makkonen are on the outside looking in.

I don't see Hotchkiss making the squad this year, if everyone has their proper glasses on IMHO. I think he was the reason that Burghardt stunted here to be honest.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

Forwards
Hawel/Ratcliffe/Schnarr
McEwen/Smith/Deakin-Pout
Toropchenko/Portier/???
???/???/???

Goal
Popovich
Daws

I don't think Tropochenko will be a fourth liner here... he's a 4th round NHL pick.
I agree with RCS that I think some changes will be coming to get a point producing forward based on the trades thus far. There are certainly enough bodies to trade.

Just for fun though:

Ratcliffe/Schnarr/Smith
McEwan/Hawel/Tropochenko
Bertuzzi/Primeau/Poirier
Deakin-Poot/Ralph/Kirwin
Sicoly

McFadden/Merkley (don't love this pair, but based on last year I'm guessing this will be it)
Samorukov/Shoemaker
Makkonen/Hanna
Aguanno

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
If some players can make strides in their game I can see this being a very talented group of forwards. Not sure why anybody wants to give up on Kirwin already, hes a 2000 born and I thought did well this past season considering he didn't get tons of minutes. Cuts need to be made but I wouldn't cut him loose yet. Sicoly also is somebody that I couldn't want to fully part with as he is a fantastic penalty killer however his offensive game leaves a lot to be desired.

This team while not the most explosive out there in 2016-17 didn't have the biggest problem scoring goals (at least a huge upgrade over 15-16) and I don't see offense being a problem for the 17-18 version.

The back end could be a problem though.
This team had big problems keeping the puck out of their own net in 2016-17 both because of sometimes shoddy D and lackluster goaltending.
I'm not ready to give up on Popovich but he is going to need to make some improvements, he had great nights last year, he had awful nights. Samorukov and McFadden are going to have to eat some major minutes this year with Rhodes gone, same goes for Shoemaker.

I'm not saying its a disaster back there but I think there's tons of room for improvement.

I do see a good roster though and honestly I think the goal for this team this year should be set no lower than get to .500 and the playoffs. Anything less to be would be a bit of a disappointment.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
. Not sure why anybody wants to give up on Kirwin already, hes a 2000 born and I thought did well this past season considering he didn't get tons of minutes. Cuts need to be made but I wouldn't cut him loose yet. Sicoly also is somebody that I couldn't want to fully part with as he is a fantastic penalty killer however his offensive game leaves a lot to be desired.

Can't keep everyone.

Some combo of Stevens/Ralph/Kirwin/Sicoly/Hotchkiss need to be moved....no way to get around it. There is maybe two spots for that group of players - assuming none of the "higher end" forwards are moved, and assuming no others are brought in.

While he might have the most upside of the group, he still may be a victim of the numbers game.

Since you want to keep him and Sicoly, who would you cut loose at their expense and what would your 13F be?

I don't agree about the goalie. If you want to make some noise this year, I think you need a more proven goalie. Some one who can be relied upon to bail out a youngish D-core. I haven't seen that from Popovich yet.

I think the goal of playoffs and .500 is attainable. Assuming another high end pick up, and a goalie upgrade, I think this team could challenge for home ice. Could.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
You will love the open ice body checks that Poirier likes to throw. Guys certainly have their head up when he's on the ice. It's my understanding that there may have been some "off ice" contributors to his underachieving with the Troops. He gets his $h!t together you got the best player in that trade by a long shot.
Here is an example of what Piorier brings. All due respect to the young man on the receiving end but I don't think he's played since.

https://youtu.be/4YJf5xg9dbM

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Here is an example of what Piorier brings. All due respect to the young man on the receiving end but I don't think he's played since.

https://youtu.be/4YJf5xg9dbM

Just my observations from that clip: 1. slow looking feet on the back check, 2. avoids taking a hit to get the puck out of his own end and fails to do so, 3. runs into the attacking forward because he couldnt get out of the way and then fails to engage the opposing player after the hit. Am I missing something??

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Just my observations from that clip: 1. slow looking feet on the back check, 2. avoids taking a hit to get the puck out of his own end and fails to do so, 3. runs into the attacking forward because he couldnt get out of the way and then fails to engage the opposing player after the hit. Am I missing something??

100% accurate. read my mind

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Todd Harvey has moved on to an NHL scouting job. Jake Grimes coming over from Peterborough to take his assistant coach's position. As per Tony Saxon and Randy Russon.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Pre-season tickets came in the mail today along with the list of promo dates and top prospects game info.

Quick glance at the promo schedule and I don't see any kind of "alumni day" like we've had the last two seasons, which leads me to believe we won't see a third banner raising ceremony this season.

They do mention a Remembrance Day week game on Nov 10th so perhaps special one off jerseys are coming again.
Teddy Bear Toss is December 10
Season ticket holder redemption games are December 16 and March 9

Season ticket holders can buy tickets to the Top Prospects Game from September 22 to October 6 before the tickets go on sale to the general public on October 7. They haven't yet mentioned a cost for tickets.
Season ticket holders can get tickets at 10% off of the regular price but only for the amount of season tickets you have. If you want to buy extra you will be charged full price.

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
Who's getting excited? 2 weeks away from training camp!!

Also anyone see the Storm's up coming year slogan? " THE TIME IS NOW" !!

To me next year will be the time is now!!

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Who's getting excited? 2 weeks away from training camp!!

Also anyone see the Storm's up coming year slogan? " THE TIME IS NOW" !!

To me next year will be the time is now!!

If the time is now then Burnette better start building around Merkley soonish.
I've watched a bit of the Hlinka tournament and I have to say I absolutely love the lack of announcers. No TV timeouts, no mid period ice scrape, just pure hockey. It's pretty nice.

Storm Watching

Jul 21, 2011
So is he coming after all....

25798549861_86aeace0c9_m.jpg
[/url]2016OC58 by footiepaul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad