Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Hey Chico - thanks for posting your picks. Very interesting that the only pick you had in common was Aguanno. It will be interesting to see how your picks fare over the next year or two.
As for myself, I'm pretty happy with our first four picks - those are really the ones I see ever wearing the jersey. The twins - interesting strategy (almost Hunter-esque).....if they grow. I'm quite tired of seeing undersized players getting pushed off the play despite their pestilence. I found the 5-9 line entertaining to watch this past year, but at the end of the game, largely ineffective . Having said that, I don't see Sicoly or Ralph back next year, or Stevens for that matter, unless he turns on that bulldog approach that MK purported when he was first drafted. I can't see Hotchkiss cracking the lineup either, but I felt that way last year too.

Looking forward to seeing another Bertuzzi in the fold, as well as Primeau - Woolley and Aguanno I hope will show good. Anything beyond that is gravy IMO. As for current players nudged out - that's another post - although I've played some cards here.....

Aguanno played up last year and I liked him very much then I would say he is 50% Finn and 50% Leslie.

Like Aguanno, Bertuzzi played in the OHL Cup last year and did very well. It seemed this year that he played every other shift and didn't have very much gas, but is a very good player and will become a fan favourite no doubt.

Golovatchev is a decent player and has a nose for the net. Could turn out to be an ok pick, IMO.

I have no idea whose bright idea it was to draft these twins. There is no way the centreman is better than Zabaneh of the Marlies, or the winger better than his teammate Brimmer.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Aguanno played up last year and I liked him very much then I would say he is 50% Finn and 50% Leslie.

Like Aguanno, Bertuzzi played in the OHL Cup last year and did very well. It seemed this year that he played every other shift and didn't have very much gas, but is a very good player and will become a fan favourite no doubt.

Golovatchev is a decent player and has a nose for the net. Could turn out to be an ok pick, IMO.

I have no idea whose bright idea it was to draft these twins. There is no way the centreman is better than Zabaneh of the Marlies, or the winger better than his teammate Brimmer.
Chico, I do not see working as a scout anywhere. All you do is complain about the Storm picks.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Chico, I do not see working as a scout anywhere. All you do is complain about the Storm picks.

I didn't see any complaining going on. I saw Chico post his list of picks in comparison to Mike Kelly's, and then he provided commentary on some of the players I was happy with, with no judgement to the negative. Other than the twins - which, given their size, puzzles me as well.

I didn't see any negativity or complaining.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
I didn't see any complaining going on. I saw Chico post his list of picks in comparison to Mike Kelly's, and then he provided commentary on some of the players I was happy with, with no judgement to the negative. Other than the twins - which, given their size, puzzles me as well.

I didn't see any negativity or complaining.

The Twins have a connection to ownership.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

It's called having a different opinion. And as pointed out, it was backed up with more info and opinions.

This might sound shocking, but a team that has finished last and second last the past two years, might not be perfect in their decision making.

I appreciate the insight from Chico. It's healthy to have informed debate, I really don't see it as negativity.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Does anyone have any insight on who might fill the GM and coaching positions for the Storm?

Is Walker ready to come back and take on bigger role? With Tag Bertuzzi being drafted, does that open a door for Todd to return in some role?

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Love the discussion. It certainly highlights that as Storm fans over the past while we have been spoiled with a consistent playoff team. The issues about the scouting and drafting are certainly merited but not a traditional area for posting until the last couple of years. Anyways, what opinion does anyone have about Sicoly coming back? Relentless worker. Dynamite skater. Defensive dynamo. However, he has almost no offensive skill whatsoever. He can be a penalty killing and fourth line contributor if he does not take a spot from any younger players, in my view. He would have minimal trade value however.

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
Anyone want to take a crack at who makes the team next year and who will be gone?
I take it Bertuzzi, Primeau and Aguanno make it!!

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
There is still the major midget draft this Wednesday where Guelph will have the 2nd overall pick. Not sure what to expect from the players that will be selected in this draft but with the 2nd overall pick it could be another player that may have a shot at making the roster this coming September. Plus a high pick in the import draft.

Personally I think that once we have a new General Manager announced there will be a lot of player movement. I would predict 8 to 9 new players on this roster come the fall possibly more.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
There is still the major midget draft this Wednesday where Guelph will have the 2nd overall pick. Not sure what to expect from the players that will be selected in this draft but with the 2nd overall pick it could be another player that may have a shot at making the roster this coming September. Plus a high pick in the import draft.

Personally I think that once we have a new General Manager announced there will be a lot of player movement. I would predict 8 to 9 new players on this roster come the fall possibly more.

Larry Mellot already said there should be about 6 new guys right now. Bertuzzi, Primeau, Aguanno, 2016 picks Stevenson and Daws plus the high import pick.

With around 22 guys from last years team eligible to return, it's going to be an entertaining training camp with quite the battle for limited spots.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Tony Saxon tweeted "Expect George Burnett to be named coach and general manager of the Guelph Storm in the next few days."

Not sure how I feel about this - any thoughts out there?:dunno:

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Tony Saxon tweeted "Expect George Burnett to be named coach and general manager of the Guelph Storm in the next few days."

Not sure how I feel about this - any thoughts out there?:dunno:

I am pretty good with this....
Stable, experienced, familiar with CHL/OHL...
And last time he took over from Mike Kelly, we went to the Memorial cup final... So let's do it again.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Do not believe what the ohl insiders say about why they fired the coach or what he sais about one of the owners sons being draft today.

Why would you even read anything ohlinsiders writes..???
Like the National Inquirer of the OHL. Headline "OHL goaltender has alien baby with Martian"

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Here is what I know:

1) Many teams/orgs are moving away from having one person handle the GM and coaching duties

2) The GM role requires more time now than ever. So much info to process and analyze, not to mention having to scout both the OHL and minor midget.

Guelph goes out and hires one person to fill both the coach and GM role.

I'd say I am surprised, but something tells me this has more to do with it being cheaper to hire a combo coach/GM than two separate people vs. it being about filling the positions properly.

Oh well, what can you do.

I hope that Mr. Burnett has been watching this team and that he doesn't require an "evaluation period" before making some changes. As many people here at at the rink have pointed out, if this team hopes to be a legit contender in 18/19, changes need to start being made ASAP.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I am pretty good with this....
Stable, experienced, familiar with CHL/OHL...
And last time he took over from Mike Kelly, we went to the Memorial cup final... So let's do it again.

Burnett was fantastic in Flint as just the General Manager. He really got our team heading in the right direction with his professionalism, shrewd trades, and excellent drafting/recruiting. He will be sorely missed.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Burnett was fantastic in Flint as just the General Manager. He really got our team heading in the right direction with his professionalism, shrewd trades, and excellent drafting/recruiting. He will be sorely missed.

The consensus in Belleville was that George was a good GM and that it would have been better to have him solely in that role. Very active in the trade market, not afraid to load up or sell off when the time is right. As a coach he deployed a very bland defensive style, and heavily favors his veteran players. He has a ton of experience in both roles though and I think Guelph could have done a lot worse for sure.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The consensus in Belleville was that George was a good GM and that it would have been better to have him solely in that role. Very active in the trade market, not afraid to load up or sell off when the time is right. As a coach he deployed a very bland defensive style, and heavily favors his veteran players. He has a ton of experience in both roles though and I think Guelph could have done a lot worse for sure.
George - Great GM - bad coach - too much on his plate to focus on both. His coaching style is a little dated.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
George - Great GM - bad coach - too much on his plate to focus on both. His coaching style is a little dated.

Yep. Seems to be the consensus.

Good hockey man but at a time when a GM needs to put so much time into their role, giving him the coaching job as well reeks of ownership being frugal.

I saw someone predict this would happen - either or twitter or here, can't remember.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus

This is what I remembered from Belleville fan posts back in the day, and what I was afraid of - I was looking for confirmation on what my dim memory banks were telling me. Maybe his coaching style has changed from that tenure.....maybe the coach role is just an interim condition.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
George is better at trading than drafting IMO. Belleville had some fairly underwhelming 1st round picks their last few years.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
George is better at trading than drafting IMO. Belleville had some fairly underwhelming 1st round picks their last few years.

Not to mention a dreadful record with second round picks. But with George taking on both jobs, a lot of the scouting responsibility fell to Barclay Branch.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Here is what I know:

1) Many teams/orgs are moving away from having one person handle the GM and coaching duties

2) The GM role requires more time now than ever. So much info to process and analyze, not to mention having to scout both the OHL and minor midget.

Guelph goes out and hires one person to fill both the coach and GM role.

I'd say I am surprised, but something tells me this has more to do with it being cheaper to hire a combo coach/GM than two separate people vs. it being about filling the positions properly.

Oh well, what can you do. I hope that Mr. Burnett has been watching this team and that he doesn't require an "evaluation period" before making some changes. As many people here at at the rink have pointed out, if this team hopes to be a legit contender in 18/19, changes need to start being made ASAP.
Great choice. I do not think they are cheap like you. Do not forget they still have to pay Jerold for next year.

Last edited:

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I love the U18 strategy. Take a goalie (because we actually need one) and then take some family members of other players who likely have zero shot at this roster.

:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad