GDT: Group H • May 11 • Finland 3, Canada 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

Keep telling yourself that. A real man would have cried with Teppo.

And Saarinen is the worst reporter ever.

A bit different when you experience it by first hand. No one could argue that losses hurt as much when you're "just" a fan compared to being a member of the losing team. And, for the record, I wasn't judging anyone who cries over a hockey game. I just mentioned how I personally feel.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
A bit different when you experience it by first hand. No one could argue that losses hurt as much when you're "just" a fan compared to being a member of the losing team. And, for the record, I wasn't judging anyone who cries over a hockey game. I just mentioned how I personally feel.

Any Finn want to give be a brief overview of what was being said in that interview?

teris

Dec 6, 2006

Keep telling yourself that. A real man would have cried with Teppo.

And Saarinen is the worst reporter ever.

I don't really see myself ever crying over a hockey game, but that one and a half minute interview of Numminen almost does it every time.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Any Finn want to give be a brief overview of what was being said in that interview?

Basically the idiot reporter was trying to get Numminen "analyze" (yes, he actually used that word) the game after the final even though it was clear Teppo was too emotional and couldn't give any rational answer. He should have just given up and let let Teppo go instead of trying to drag on the interview.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I could probably do a better one myself (yea right, drunk as hell), but there's a rough translation in the info of that video:

Interviewer: Around the players neck here in Torino are hanging valuable silver medals. As we can say the silver is not a shame after this final. Next to me is standing one of the most experienced player of Finnish team, Teppo Numminen.
Teppo, you have a new silver medal around your neck. What are the topmost feelings after the game?

Teppo: Well, pretty fuzzy. Of course tired and we have a long journey behind. But we fought well. *almost crying*

Interviewer: Surely you're very emotional right now...If we still try to analyze a little todays final..Why didn't Finland quite reach the desired level?

Teppo: Maybe we didn't skate as well as in the earlier games. Just didn't skate well enough to win. We had our places in the end but it wasn't enough. But the team fought till the end and we can be proud of that.

Interviewer: Teppo, despite of everything this silver is apparently won.

Teppo: It is, yeah. Uh, it is... This is *sigh*...

Interviewer: Thank you very much.

I don't really see myself ever crying over a hockey game, but that one and a half minute interview of Numminen almost does it every time.
This.

Mara

May 10, 2011
I could probably do a better one myself (yea right, drunk as hell), but there's a rough translation in the info of that video:

This.

Every time I hear that "ehdottomasti voitettu hopea" I want to strangle the interviewer. Who the **** thinks that you just WON SILVER after LOSING THE OLYMPIC FINAL.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Ah, I see. Feel bad for the guy. Finland is a great hockey country and they're always consistently winning medals, if only they could just get to that gear more often and start winning those gold medal games.

Kigetsi

Nov 6, 2009
Finland
Ah, I see. Feel bad for the guy. Finland is a great hockey country and they're always consistently winning medals, if only they could just get to that gear more often and start winning those gold medal games.

Thanks man, really appreciate that. IMO Finland and Canada play pretty similar in international tournaments and thats why Canada is my second team after Finland. Can't stand Sweden or Russia.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Every time I hear that "ehdottomasti voitettu hopea" I want to strangle the interviewer. Who the **** thinks that you just WON SILVER after LOSING THE OLYMPIC FINAL.

Yeah that makes me want to punch a wall as well. Not only on that occasion, but generally Finnish media treats silver and bronze medals as if they were some sort of consolation for not winning gold.

Tw149

Feb 22, 2010
Everything went better than expected.
Yeah, quarters will be against USA, which might be tougher than against SVK/SUI, but it will pay in the Semis when you don't have to face Sweden. Repeat the 2011 with Russia and you're in gold medal game.

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004

It usually boils down to less natural scorers in the team. Which means you need all the stars aligned proper way (disciplined team effort, great PP and PK), little luck and a great day of a goalie.

Usually not all these come together at the same time and there comes defeat.

Great game, but when the movement stopped we were in big trouble; no backchecking from forwards, not really taking the second wave and too little pressure for the puck guy (defenders too passive). In the second period we started surfing end-to-end and not putting the puck to corner from the blue line (could't give enough pressure after puck was stolen).

There were also lot of positive signs (mainly PP, little shy at the end though and more direct aproach was need,more shots basically) and we can challenge any team. But we need legs for it and have to play smarter on the opponent blue line and need to balance the game a bit so know when to attack more creatively and when just dump the puck.
Defenders some time tries too qute when the pressure is heavy, just clear the puck to sides don't try to force a nifty pass to the center of ice.

And goncrats to Canada. Good game but you got that little bit too easy still. Well, some games still to make the performance better before the sudden-death games start.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Thanks man, really appreciate that. IMO Finland and Canada play pretty similar in international tournaments and thats why Canada is my second team after Finland. Can't stand Sweden or Russia.

I'm pretty neutral towards Sweden (They're your geographical rival while USA is ours), but **** Russia. :laugh:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm pretty neutral towards Sweden (They're your geographical rival while USA is ours), but **** Russia. :laugh:

Finns don't cheer for Sweden in any sport (or in general) ever, no matter what. No problem cheering for Russia, though.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Gong Show in Stockholm

Finns really got crushed by that invidual skill of Canada and some horrible D. Good game, hope we meet in the finals.

No need to show disrespect on either side. After all our countries are among the very few where hockey is the most important sport.

Take a look at the bs... On the Russia/Sweden thread, and you would think that the group in Helsinki doesn't exist. Both teams are more interested in diving and not playing hockey. The refs need to call that ****! Russia has been getting away with the diving since the 72 series. Calling Sweden a "Dream Team". Wake the f.... up over there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad