GDT: Group H • May 11 • Finland 3, Canada 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf

Apr 25, 2012
Well, some people are more emotional than others and act like that. I just don't understand why people think it's funny that some guy is crying.

If you think people are laughing now, you have no idea what it would be like if people saw a guy crying after his team lost in the playoffs, let alone the regular season.

Oilin Toronto

Mar 31, 2010
It doesn't feel bad at all tbh, imo neither team was that much better than the other. Finns got more shots on goal, two posts in last period, but Canadians simply had more individual talent and Lehtonen couldn't bail us out. I'm very happy with this result, compared to last year the team is playing much better(last year lost to Czech and beat Latvia in OT) and this game showed that Finland can win any team in this tournament. A good, tough game that could have ended either way.

You should be proud...they played well.

the only thing that i would add is that Canada may have waken up after that poor 1st period. You guys just had no answer to the Tavaras, and later in the game, the Getzlaf line. Nonetheless, a very competitive game.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
Lehtonen wasn't at his best tonight but I'm not gonna blame him. But Granlund worries about me. He was so weak and couldn't do anything and like we saw in the wjc he wasn't good there either. It is possible that he won't make a good NHL career.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
The 2nd and especially 3rd periods were the team Canada I think many of us were waiting for to show up. I hope they can keep it going as the tournament moves forward. No more stupid penalties and fix that abysmal PK.

JYP88*

my behalf they could stop this Skoda tournament (worldcup). every four years Hockey tournament where teams could have best rosters. Well we got olympics, but how long NHL players are able to join?

PJM

Feb 18, 2006
If you think people are laughing now, you have no idea what it would be like if people saw a guy crying after his team lost in the playoffs, let alone the regular season.

The Finnish view has not much to do if it was the national team or a club team, regular season or playoffs, but if the guy was drunk enough or not. After a number of beers (10 or 20 or whatever, depending on your tolerance) you are allowwed to cry for any reason. If you're sober, you don't cry. For any reason.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Lehtonen wasn't at his best tonight but I'm not gonna blame him. But Granlund worries about me. He was so weak and couldn't do anything and like we saw in the wjc he wasn't good there either. It is possible that he won't make a good NHL career.

Some health problems, which he will be able to heal up during the summer brake. Nothing to worry about Granlund. Except for maybe in this tournament. It seemed to me that Pesonen was the main problem in the PIG-line. He lost the puck more often than Granlund.

Mara

May 10, 2011

Granlund is less than 180cm, doesn't have exceptional speed and is not that strong. As I've said in the Wild forum Granlund thread, a lot of people are overestimating his chances to be a force in the NHL. I hope I'm wrong though.

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco

Shouldn't have made a stamp...

Last edited:

Kigetsi

Nov 6, 2009
Finland
That's what i was trying to say. Some guy will cry after CAN-FIN group game and the other guy will cry after SCF game 7.

PJM

Feb 18, 2006
Some health problems, which he will be able to heal up during the summer brake. Nothing to worry about Granlund. Except for maybe in this tournament. It seemed to me that Pesonen was the main problem in the PIG-line. He lost the puck more often than Granlund.

I don't think it was just Pesonen. The whole line was less able to create offence than the #3 or #4 lines. Or at least that's how it seemed to me. That, combined with the poor defence, meant they were my least favourite line this game.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Should't have made a stamp...
OhCrap.png

Now I know why Kimi got kicked out of Ferrari.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Did not see the game, but a good result for Canada (duh). What I mean it shows that Canada means business in this tourney.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lots of tough guys in this thread who have never cried...

I could imagine myself shed a few tears of joy over a big win in a hockey game, but after a tough loss I normally feel anger rather than sadness. The loss in the Olympic final in '06 was probably the toughest loss I have gone through as a fan, and I remember how surprisingly calm I was after the game, watching the winning ceremonies in a state of shock and disbelief rather than feeling sadness.

Mara

May 10, 2011
You should be proud...they played well.

the only thing that i would add is that Canada may have waken up after that poor 1st period. You guys just had no answer to the Tavaras, and later in the game, the Getzlaf line. Nonetheless, a very competitive game.

After Canada started playing it looked very similar to our games against Slovakia and Switzerland. SOG was 12:11 in second and 11:11 in third, with the two posts for Finland. The first period was an anomaly, Finland probably never has and never will again dominate like that against Canada. :laugh:

ugrimugri*

The people who have followed the WCH tournaments for dozens of years, they know that in order to win the WCH u have to lose at least 1 game before the QF and u can't win twice against the same top 6 team - so both CAN and FIN have now lost 1 game (meaningless when the playoffs start) - if they should meet again in that final game, which I actually predict, the Finns have an edge ;)

teris

Dec 6, 2006
I don't think it was just Pesonen. The whole line was less able to create offence than the #3 or #4 lines. Or at least that's how it seemed to me. That, combined with the poor defence, meant they were my least favourite line this game.

Pesonen and Immonen, despite having NHL skill, have been proven to be too soft to play their game in the NHL, Granlund still has that question mark over his head. As a line, it's just set to fail against Canada and maybe even the US. We didn't play against either Canada or US last year so they weren't exposed back then.

Mara

May 10, 2011
The people who have followed the WCH tournaments for dozens of years, they know that in order to win the WCH u have to lose at least 1 game before the QF and u can't win twice against the same top 6 team - so both CAN and FIN have now lost 1 game (meaningless when the playoffs start) - if they should meet again in that final game, which I actually predict, the Finns have an edge ;)

Finland won Russia twice last year, there goes that theory down the toilet. :D

Barkkonen

May 10, 2011
Now that i have cooled down + drank half litre of vodka.

Canada was just being Canada, they can only play their A game when there is worthy opponent, hats off to Canada better team won today! :handclap:

Kigetsi

Nov 6, 2009
Finland
I could imagine myself shed a few tears of joy over a big win in a hockey game, but after a tough loss I normally feel anger rather than sadness. The loss in the Olympic final in '06 was probably the toughest loss I have gone through as a fan, and I remember how surprisingly calm I was after the game, watching the winning ceremonies in a state of shock and disbelief rather than feeling sadness.
That's just like i felt too right after '06 Olympics. But now when i watch those highlights, especially that heart-breaking Numminen interview, i can't stop but cry a little bit everytime. I was just saying, that people are different and react to things in different ways.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Finns really got crushed by that invidual skill of Canada and some horrible D. Good game, hope we meet in the finals.

No need to show disrespect on either side. After all our countries are among the very few where hockey is the most important sport.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The loss in the Olympic final in '06 was probably the toughest loss I have gone through as a fan, and I remember how surprisingly calm I was after the game, watching the winning ceremonies in a state of shock and disbelief rather than feeling sadness.

Keep telling yourself that. A real man would have cried with Teppo.

And Saarinen is the worst reporter ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad