GDT: Group H • May 11 • Finland 3, Canada 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yea it's gonna take a lot more. Russians still have a lot of skill that I like.

The Russians are basically the Vancouver Canucks of international hockey. Tremendous skill, but have a tarnished image due to constant unnecessary diving, and an inability to get the job done when the stakes are at their highest (haven't won a best-on-best hockey tournament since 1981).

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Now when I have cooled down and drunk this and next months rent, I can tell you the secret of this game:

It wasnt lehtonen's day, hes savin perecentage was under 90% what is not acceptable against Canada. Also canucks were being canucks, using their chanches way more effectively and finns were being finns, shootin to a goal-post. Also we have Juuso Hietanen who sucks more than a black hole.

Järvinen will have decent NHL career. Second line was respecting canadians, and thats a big mistake. You cant respect them if you want to win them. Komarov and Koivu line, excellent job.
Jussi Jokinen deserves almost apologies, yes he sucked first but in the tough games (swiss, this) he has been solid, this game even good. GJ (Eniya must be happy)

If we had:
2nd line doing their job
Lehtonen as great as he usually is
Cheeper beer in the crowds

We would've win.

GG anyway

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
WTF? We surely cheer for Sweden in football World- and Eurochamps.

I cheer against Sweden in football probably even more than in hockey. Has something to do with jealousy and bitterness I guess. There is no way I want our beloved neighbours to the West enjoy success in the biggest sport in the world while we haven't even been able to qualify to the almighty WC or Euro Cup. :D

Norway and Denmark on the other hand, I wish them well and find myself cheering for them. But Sweden? No way...

Last edited:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Really exciting game, Finns got back on their heels and respected Canada's speed too much from the 2nd period on. But you have to give them credit for their discipline. Jokinens shot from the side there was amazing.

Canada vs. Finland games rarely disappoint, no exception here.

Edit: Its always weird/hilarious/awesome to me to see the Canada vs. Finland rivalry. Both fans like the other team so much, there is rarely any stupid arguing going on. To me Finland is like a little Canada, if they had a bigger population, they would be a force, love the way they play. Not quite dirty, always on the edge, always hard and respectful. Good luck in the rest of the tourney Finns!

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
I cheer against Sweden in football probably even more than in hockey. Has something to do with jealousy and bitterness I guess. There is no way I want our beloved neighbours to the West enjoy success in the biggest sport in the world while we haven't even been able to qualify to the almighty WC or Euro Cup. :D

Ok, fair enough! I usually support our Nordic neighbours since we never qualify*. :(

(*Finnish football NT isn't far from European Champs in 2016)

It's pretty sad if you find happines in others failures. :(

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
The Russians are basically the Vancouver Canucks of international hockey. Tremendous skill, but have a tarnished image due to constant unnecessary diving, and an inability to get the job done when the stakes are at their highest (haven't won a best-on-best hockey tournament since 1981).

Gotta know a Leafs fan has to get a shot in eh? Can't really compare the Leafs to any of the WC teams because they all deserve to be there.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Ok, fair enough! I usually support our Nordic neighbours since we never qualify*. :(

Just watch Formula 1, Rally, snowboarding and other things that we are good in... Homerism is the best thing! Besides, F1 is lot bigger than hockey anyway!

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Just watch Formula 1, Rally, snowboarding and other things that we are good in... Homerism is the best thing! Besides, F1 is lot bigger than hockey anyway!

I don't like motorsports at all... And homerism sucks balls. I like our football league even though it's hardly the best but I like to see HJK, Inter Turku and TPS play against European teams.

We should have an European League in hockey too!

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Gotta know a Leafs fan has to get a shot in eh? Can't really compare the Leafs to any of the WC teams because they all deserve to be there.

lolwut.jpg

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
It's pretty sad if you find happines in others failures. :(

You're putting words in my mouth. Never said I "find happiness" when Sweden fails. I said they're among the last teams I find myself cheering for. That is the nature of sports. You're more supportive towards one team than another. I am sure there is an order on your list regarding the teams/nations you cheer for in different competitions.

Nice try being a wise-ass though.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Put burrows on the PK already, hes easily the best PK guy on the team.

Nov 25, 2011
Edmonton
The Finnish view has not much to do if it was the national team or a club team, regular season or playoffs, but if the guy was drunk enough or not. After a number of beers (10 or 20 or whatever, depending on your tolerance) you are allowwed to cry for any reason. If you're sober, you don't cry. For any reason.

:laugh: I love Finns, you guys are the best.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Finns don't cheer for Sweden in any sport (or in general) ever, no matter what. No problem cheering for Russia, though.

Bullsh.t

I always cheer for SWE if FIN is not playing, exept for when it's a SWE-CAN game.
I like both of those teams, so then I don't cheer for anyone but just sit back and enjoy great hockey.
On the other hand I'd never support RUS in any sport.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009

Norway and Denmark on the other hand, I wish them well and find myself cheering for them. But Sweden? No way...

As a strappy young lad, I used to support Finland in hockey. Then your hatred towards us taught me to hate you so....Ohhh Canada!!!!. Awesome performance tonight :nod:

Shand

Jul 4, 2011
That's what i was trying to say. Some guy will cry after CAN-FIN group game and the other guy will cry after SCF game 7.

Or neither :thumbu:

Canucks fan here who was downtown for SCF Game 7. Didn't cry or riot just went home quietly. ;)

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
1,000 posts. Closed.

I think everything that needs to be said has been said, so no need for a second thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad