GDT: Group B • Dec. 28 • United States 1, Finland 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
It's easier to quckly correct attitude than rotten playing system. Unluckily Finland has both problems. Helminen/Haapakoski unbelievable bad choice as coaching duo. Helminen has no clue about tactics and Haapakoski is as inspring as dead fish floating in the sea.

:biglaugh:

Finland needs longtime U-20 coach like Sweden had Per Mårts. Lauri Marjamäki would be excellent for that position. He nearly coached an average roster to medal games. Too bad that he coached only 1 season.

Jere26

Jul 12, 2011
Interesting one tonight. After that pathetic effort against Canada I only want to see at least some passion in the Finnish team.
On the positive side, finally Aittokallio in net and no junior league goalie (not blaming Gibson here for his performance against CAN). On the other hand I wish all the best for Dallas prospect Campbell. So predicting only 3-0 for the US ;) It was obvious since the beginning that they were the underdogs against both North American teams, just gotta beat those Danes & Czechs and hope it will be enough to make it to the next round.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010

Finland needs longtime U-20 coach like Sweden had Per Mårts. Lauri Marjamäki would be excellent for that position. He nearly coached an average roster to medal games. Too bad that he coached only 1 season.

I agree, Marjamäki is a very good coach, who knows the game through and through and has a very good mind on hockey. Helminen on the other hand is an ex star player with zero experience in coaching and Haapakoski is...
Dropkick Murphy said:
...as inspring as dead fish floating in the sea

yeah. Well said!

Haapakoski made the team with the biggest price tag in SM-liiga look like a Mestis team and with that showing he was made 2nd coach of the U-20 team... :shakehead
Way to go Kummola and Co. !

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
It's easier to quckly correct attitude than rotten playing system. Unluckily Finland has both problems. Helminen/Haapakoski unbelievable bad choice as coaching duo. Helminen has no clue about tactics and Haapakoski is as inspring as dead fish floating in the sea.

At first I was excited to have a legend like Raipe as the coach, but soon realized that he is not the right man for the job. Just like Gretzky was a crap coach, the past career as a hockey player doesn't mean you will be a good coach.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
At first I was excited to have a legend like Raipe as the coach, but soon realized that he is not the right man for the job. Just like Gretzky was a crap coach, the past career as a hockey player doesn't mean you will be a good coach.
Pretty much this.

But who else would have been available for the job? All the good coaches from FEL are already tied with the senior team.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Pretty much this.

But who else would have been available for the job? All the good coaches from FEL are already tied with the senior team.

They should make it clear that they only want the best guy available, pay him enough that they all want to come, and pick the coach early enough.

I like how Sweden handled their thing, Pär Mårts as coach of u-20 team for a few years, and after that move on to the men's team. Whoever they are going to make the predecessor of Jalonen I think should do a couple years of u-20 coaching. It also makes it easier for young guys to make it to the men's team since the star players of the new generation are all known by the coach.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Pretty much this.

I'm pretty much 100% sure that had Kummola even tried a better option then Helminen would've been available. As long as finnish hockey federation keeps treating juniors like this and assigning **** for juniors I don't see this getting much better either. Luckily the fat ******* will have to retire soon since he is over 60 already let's hope that someone with atleast half a brain replaces him.

Now on to the tournament I see this game as a really important one for Finland. If Finland can pick themselves up and actually perform as in have a close game at least like last year, we could have a chance to make it to the semis. But Finland is going to have to be ALOT better on every aspect of the game. Let's hope they'll pick themselves up, if not at least I'll get to see some pretty good prospects that I rarely see play for the USA =).

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
They should make it clear that they only want the best guy available, pay him enough that they all want to come, and pick the coach early enough.

I like how Sweden handled their thing, Pär Mårts as coach of u-20 team for a few years, and after that move on to the men's team. Whoever they are going to make the predecessor of Jalonen I think should do a couple years of u-20 coaching. It also makes it easier for young guys to make it to the men's team since the star players of the new generation are all known by the coach.

Per Mårts created an succesful system into U-20 team. Youth players all know how to play it. So easy transition to Men games and good time to young star players to come up. Players know what the coach expects and Coach knows the players like own pockets. Hard to say but Sweden will be an absolute force in few years and once again Finland have to learn alot from Sweden but what you can do when Kummola dictates. But i'm still pissed that Marjamäki didn't continue in that job he had excellent system, players had drive and determination. Every player bought his gameplan. Now we have Raipe who ruins our chances to be succesful this year because he doesen't have any head coach experience.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Jesus, it's not like Finland will let another 8 goals go...
I'm sure Finland will score this game, Granlund 2 goals. That kid's mad now! ;D

5-3 USA.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Tbh though, the main problem for Finland in the first game wasn't coaching but a D corps that just wasn't up to par, too young and just not good enough. Looked terrified when Canada played physical. Määttä looked like a 13 yo out there and the rest wasn't much better.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I was kinda hoping that Törmänen would get fired by Bern since NLA has a habit of firing coaches every two weeks. :laugh:

Maybe I'm a bit homer about him because of last season with Sport, but I think he would be a great U20 coach.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Why not let Jukka Rautakorpi coach this U20 team? He's working for the Hockey Federation anyway. I think Rautakorpi could have handled the douple duty since he has had enough time to build Tappara's team for this season and next.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Tbh though, the main problem for Finland in the first game wasn't coaching but a D corps that just wasn't up to par, too young and just not good enough. Looked terrified when Canada played physical.

The thing is that they are not really that bad although not as good as the top teams' defences. They actually usually don't play like scared rabbits, and the fact that they did is really largely the responsibility of the coaching team. Canada wasn't extremely physical for a Canadian team, just your regular tough checking and at times hard pressure in our end. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing unexpected but it seemed that the defence was in scared chaos the second the play started. They were not ready, it was a regular amateur hour there.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Tbh though, the main problem for Finland in the first game wasn't coaching but a D corps that just wasn't up to par, too young and just not good enough. Looked terrified when Canada played physical. Määttä looked like a 13 yo out there and the rest wasn't much better.

this. no reason to blame coaching when your defense and gaoltending are not up to the task.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
this. no reason to blame coaching when your defense and gaoltending are not up to the task.

You really think this is their natural level of play? I mean they would have lost to, I don't know, Outer Mongolia, with that sort of frozen, panicky defence. They were not ready and surely coaching has to take a large part of responsibility?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Key for Finland is to get the pucks out of their zone, crisp first passes and cut down the turnovers. I think they'll rebound, but the Americans are bigtime favorites to win anyway.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
If defense doesn't play up to their level it is the coaches fault. None of our dmen make the same mistakes in their own teams, atleast not over and over again like they did in this game.

This corps of dmen is not that young and inexperiencd that they should play this bad.

edit: I don't blame the goalie even one bit. Sure, he could've saved a couple of those 8 goals he let in. Try to be a good goalie infront of that dismal defense, it's hard to keep at your best when you've already had to let in 3 goals from right infront of the net, knowing that every time the Canadians come, the D will just let them go by

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Finland has a way better offense if they start rolling but Usa has better defense and maybe goaltending. Will be tough match.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Key for Finland is to get the pucks out of their zone, crisp first passes and cut down the turnovers. I think they'll rebound, but the Americans are bigtime favorites to win anyway.

this. + actually defending the goal. That's what the word defending means.

This team needs to play more like Konsta Mäkinen, who was supposed to be the weakest link, but instead was our best player. What did he do? Skated hard, puck didn't bounce in his stick like a hot potato in a kids grasp. He went fearlessly towards the goal, and gave 2 hard hits, while being the A) shortest and B) lightest guy on the team.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
You really think this is their natural level of play? I mean they would have lost to, I don't know, Outer Mongolia, with that sort of frozen, panicky defence. They were not ready and surely coaching has to take a large part of responsibility?

They got back to the game after Ruuttu's goal in the 2nd period. Maybe they weren't ready in the beginning but the defense just kept on making bad mistakes and Gibson couldn't carry the team.

But we'll see if the defense is any better against USA. I doubt.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Finland has a way better offense if they start rolling but Usa has better defense and maybe goaltending. Will be tough match.

Way better offense than who-the U.S.? I think not. Despite Finland's rep as playing a NA style, I think they are going to again struggle against a team that is much bigger and faster than they are. Shoot, the U.S. team, in particular the defense, is even bigger than Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad