GDT: Group B • Dec. 28 • United States 1, Finland 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Embrassing for U.S to lose 1-4 to the worst team in the tournament.

ugrimugri*

Well, you can't really beat Canada twice on their home ground and it probably was a really smart move by Helminen not to put Aittokallio in goal vs CAN the other night - we just might get a great final game with the exact same two teams that opened the tournament the other night...

Lalli

Oct 23, 2011
Finland
I am a bit surprised of the effort of USA. Did they play with bad attitude because of the result of FIN - CAN game?
But the result was nice and well earned. USA did not have so many goal scoring chances.
Solid play by Aittokallio also Armia and Salomäki were good. Next game is against Denmark which should not be a problem for Finland. ;)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I liked #4 Mäkinen allready after the practicegame against Canada (not last game) and I liked him again very much. I really see him as our top or top 2 defender... Not much of mistakes, good passes even under pressure of hard hitting forechekers, some offensive abilities too, gets the puck to the net... Very nice.

Also I loved to see the team started to play to their potential. Specially I loved we won without our first line playing good, when the first line starts to play into their potential its going to be good. The whole team also defended this time. I would like to see someone else et Markus Granlunds place, theres just too much passing in the line right now. Maybe even someone from the fourth line, it performed pretty well and was energic.

Levi

Dec 1, 2008
Exactly the confidence boost the Finns needed. Really impressed with how calm Aittokallio looked in the net.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Gibson didn't trip Glanlund intentionally. Not sure if he even saw him and that was indeed a dive by Granlund. Mikael Granlund turned the game around with this, eventho he had a pretty weak game overall.

Maybe Granlund was even looking for that and could predict the goalie might trip him when he saw he wasn't really watching. It's said Granlund thinks like he was 3+ years older than the other players of his age, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did it intentionally.

But wasn't that number 11? Markus, not Mikael?

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Aittokallio should play rest of the tourne unless he loses an arm or leg

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
I didn't see the game but I take it that Finland tightened up there d?

If thats the case looks like it should look for interesting medal round in the next few days.

Lalli

Oct 23, 2011
Finland
I liked #4 Mäkinen allready after the practicegame against Canada (not last game) and I liked him again very much. I really see him as our top or top 2 defender... Not much of mistakes, good passes even under pressure of hard hitting forechekers, some offensive abilities too, gets the puck to the net... Very nice.

Also I loved to see the team started to play to their potential. Specially I loved we wont without our first line, when the first line starts to play into their potential its going to be good.

Mäkinen was the best defender offensively today. He is brave enough to try some tricks in the game hopefully his attitude will work as an example to other defenders of Finland.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
What this loss really means is that the next round the USA will probably face Russia and Sweden.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
As an Avs fan I love how Aittokallio looked today.

I went to the Avs training camp and I don't think Aittokallio is playing outside of his skill level at all. He looked awesome in camp, and he looks awesome in the tourny so far. Expect more of the same from him.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Mestaruus's message

I just dont see him intentionally drwaing a tripping penalty against goalie like that. 7 times out of then the goalie falls and you get goalie inteference penalty... It was accident by both players and the call was imo weak if it was accident. If it was intentional trip by us goaltender then it ofc was good call.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Embrassing for U.S to lose 1-4 to the worst team in the tournament.

I would never call Finland the worst team in the tournament, clearly that honour belongs to Denmark. However we can say that either the 8-1 loss to Canada was an aberration or that the US have a real crap team this year...

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
As an Avs fan I love how Aittokallio looked today.

I went to the Avs training camp and I don't think Aittokallio is playing outside of his skill level at all. He looked awesome in camp, and he looks awesome in the tourny so far. Expect more of the same from him.

He looked great. No desperation saves, no bad rebounds just calm, steady play.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I would like to see someone else et Markus Granlunds place, theres just too much passing in the line right now. Maybe even someone from the fourth line, it performed pretty well and was energic.

I'd consider either Salomäki or Donskoi. Both would bring more speed and straight forward playing into the first line. Maybe some grit too.

I don't think they're really going to separate the brothers, though.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The chances of him making any kind of difference are pretty slim at best. No clue why anyone is even talking about him.

Actually Shane Prince is a difference maker!
This isn't just a new opinion by me, IMHO prince would be a top 6 player on any team in this tourney.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
If USA beats Canada, Finland have even chances to win their group now.

Possible, but extremely unlikely. Unless I'm wrong in a 3 way tie it would come down to goal differential and I suspect Canada after tonight will have a huge advantage even before they get their turn with Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad