Waived: Gregory Campbell (unconditional - contract terminated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The AHL is a place for career AHLers or up and coming prospects.

The NHL is for NHL players. If Campbell isn't good enough for the NHL he doesn't want to be a has been taking up a roster spot in the AHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The AHL is a place for career AHLers or up and coming prospects.

The NHL is for NHL players. If Campbell isn't good enough for the NHL he doesn't want to be a has been taking up a roster spot in the AHL.

Is he really willing to forfeit $1.3 million rather than play in the AHL?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
campbell is a good soldier and at one point was a servicable grinder. we all lose a step with age. campbell could still be a good influence on kids... showing them the type of sacrafices you need to make to play in the nhl as a bubble talent... but his days of being able to keep up with nhl play is cooked.

as a bruin fan i treasure memories of his past but now i wish him a dignified exit. taking on a role as player coach would be his best bet and collect the paycheck in ahl

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If CBJ are willing to eat salary, Chicago could badly use him, their fourth line and PK is a dumpster fire and that is Campbells bread and butter

…and someone knows just what the hell they are talking about.

I'd love to see it, love Greg Campbell, toughest mother****er since Robert Svehla

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
campbell is a good soldier and at one point was a servicable grinder. we all lose a step with age. campbell could still be a good influence on kids... showing them the type of sacrafices you need to make to play in the nhl as a bubble talent... but his days of being able to keep up with nhl play is cooked.

as a bruin fan i treasure memories of his past but now i wish him a dignified exit. taking on a role as player coach would be his best bet and collect the paycheck in ahl

He's still got plenty left in the tank, he was never a point collector. If he plays for a team worth a damn, he'd actually prove quite effective.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Have to think at this point the safer course for Columbus is to just terminate his contract. The risk he might change his mind and decide to report to the AHL probably outweighs any return the Jackets might hope to get by trading him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Now if it's a 6th for Campbell+ a 3rd sure

Or Columbus could just let him not report and not add anything to move him.

He's still got plenty left in the tank, he was never a point collector. If he plays for a team worth a damn, he'd actually prove quite effective.

Ah yes, the old "it's the team not the player." Except the team is only as good as its players. And Campbell was part of the problem because he sucks defensively as well as offensively.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I'm confused, why not just terminate his contract and wash your hands clean of him? If he wants to play in the NHL he can sign elsewhere for less $$ if a team wants him. Why is Columbus taking on the headache of trying to find him a new home

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm confused, why not just terminate his contract and wash your hands clean of him? If he wants to play in the NHL he can sign elsewhere for less $$ if a team wants him. Why is Columbus taking on the headache of trying to find him a new home

That might anger Colin. Better to at least pretend you're helping Gregory.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Agreed.

If he is refusing the assignment just because he doesn't want to ride the bus and play in AHL games, that's fine. I understand. It'd be better to retire, but whatever.

If he is refusing the assignment because he fails to see he isn't an NHL talent beyond a call up for a fourth line role he needs to wake up and get over himself.
See below:

His agent said he doesn't want to play in the AHL because it would take the spot of a prospect trying to make the NHL.

So...he's either being a good guy, or trying to look good.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Haha, he's not reporting to the AHL because he doesn't want to take a prospect's spot? I've heard it all now. You're a fringe player, so go and try to work yourself back into the NHL.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I suppose such a team could probably more easily afford to cover for the fact that he's a liability on the ice nowadays, but that still doesn't actually net an improvement for the team in questoin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad