Waived: Gregory Campbell (unconditional - contract terminated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
His agent said he doesn't want to play in the AHL because it would take the spot of a prospect trying to make the NHL.

So...he's either being a good guy, or trying to look good.

'Maybe if I come up with a reason that doesn't make any sense they won't question it...'

:laugh:

I've always had an irrational hatred of Campbell for two reasons..

1 - His Dad is/was a jerk-off
2 - Going by Gregory in stead of Greg

It makes me think of when Pierre unnecessarily says KRISTOPHER Letang. Anyone that makes me think of Pierre is on my ****-list.

:laugh:

CBJ should offer him a coaching/scouting/development position which is similar in pay to his current contract.

Tell him:
1. We are icing the best 23 man roster we have. Unfortunately you didn't make the cut. That's sports.
2. We appreciate your leadership, insights, and contribution to the team so far.
3. If you want to report to the AHL, you may. If you want to cancel your contract and play abroad, you may.
4. We have been trying to trade you to another NHL team. No takers.
5. If you would like, we will offer you this position within the team's front office...

Why would they want to pay him a highly inflated front office rate? If he can't make the 23-man roster (at $1.5m) then him refusing to report is the best case scenario.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
The amount of hypocrisy is ridiculous. You don't know **** about the situation. If he doesn't want to ride busses after 10 years in the NHL - it's his choice. Columbus can either trade him or suspend his contract, no damage done. All this ****ed up daddy comments to boot - does he owe you something? You could have Wayne Gretzky as your daddy, none of you would make the NHL as a player. He earned his stay.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He was horrendous in his last season in Boston. Was surprised he got signed.

Terrific guy, terrific teammate and leader, but he wasn't even serviceable after his injury.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If the Columbus retained salary, I wouldn't mind him on the Ducks actually. Nate Thompson is injured so he could work as his replacement short term. Most importantly, he would bump Jared Blol out of the everyday lineup.

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Etem - Vermette - Rakell
Garbutt - Campbell - Wagner
Boll

But I'd wait a few more games first to see how Sorensen looks.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If the Columbus retained salary, I wouldn't mind him on the Ducks actually. Nate Thompson is injured so he could work as his replacement short term. Most importantly, he would bump Jared Blol out of the everyday lineup.

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Etem - Vermette - Rakell
Garbutt - Campbell - Wagner
Boll

But I'd wait a few more games first to see how Sorensen looks.

Why would Columbus retain salary on a negative value cap dump? They owe him nothing right now.

They offered an AHLer NHL money. Bad. He didn't report. Thus, all fixed.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I've always had an irrational hatred of Campbell for two reasons..

1 - His Dad is/was a jerk-off
2 - Going by Gregory in stead of Greg

It makes me think of when Pierre unnecessarily says KRISTOPHER Letang. Anyone that makes me think of Pierre is on my ****-list.

But it's their first names... who cares honestly? I always say Kristopher Letang... Kris is a nickname and I dont know him personally. Gregory or Greg... what does it change? People desperatly find reasons to be mad nowadays...

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Lol even Wade freaking Redden took the demotion and the guy was only a few seasons removed from an all star game appearance. Sure 6.5 doesn't compare to 1.5, but you'd still probably be the big money guy on the team. Why not go have some fun with a bunch of mid 20's guys rather just starting their career or cruising the Bus as a minor leaguer?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The amount of hypocrisy is ridiculous. You don't know **** about the situation. If he doesn't want to ride busses after 10 years in the NHL - it's his choice. Columbus can either trade him or suspend his contract, no damage done. All this ****ed up daddy comments to boot - does he owe you something? You could have Wayne Gretzky as your daddy, none of you would make the NHL as a player. He earned his stay.

And the flat-out refusal to accept that his statement about not taking a young player's spot, while certainly self-serving to some degree, couldn't possibly be genuine.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Lol even Wade freaking Redden took the demotion and the guy was only a few seasons removed from an all star game appearance. Sure 6.5 doesn't compare to 1.5, but you'd still probably be the big money guy on the team. Why not go have some fun with a bunch of mid 20's guys rather just starting their career or cruising the Bus as a minor leaguer?

Redden had like 26M left on his deal when demoted to the AHL, Campbell has a 1 year 1.7m deal, apples and oranges. I don't understand why people feel obliged to have an opinion how a guy wants to play out his career

Edit: and btw, the amount of HATE Redden got for taking big bucks in the AHL was ridiculous. Everybody called him a greedy has been who should just retire to save his dignity. You just can't have it right.

Last edited:

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
And the flat-out refusal to accept that his statement about not taking a young player's spot, while certainly self-serving to some degree, couldn't possibly be genuine.

This is called business smarts - he wants to play out possibly his last pro contract in the NHL. You don't want to sound like a jerk by saying - I'm not going to no mother****ing Cleveland to ride bus. You don't want to burn bridges with a fanbase, who knows what comes after - you might end up working there as a scout or a coach or a TV color guy, you just don't come out and say - trade my ass out of here.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I way more respect for Campbell than I do for the people making crappy comments about him. If he doesnt want to play in the AHL then he shouldn't have to and it seems he knows full well that the consequences might be that he won't play hockey at all.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Minuses
-sucks
-can't skate
-terrible fighter
-old
-delusions of grandeur
-distraction

Pluses
-father, in position as VP of NHL hockey ops, watches all of his games and sends angry memos to any referee who calls a penalty on him

Whatever team is first in the NHL in PIMs might want to take a flier. To anyone else, I can't imagine what they'd want with this player.

Last edited:

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

On behalf of the Hfboards community, please accept our appologies, Colin.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Imagine garbage day rolls around, and your trash flat out refuses to be taken to the dump.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Pluses
-father, in position as VP of NHL hockey ops, watches all of his games and sends angry memos to any referee who calls a penalty on him

Whatever team is first in the NHL in PIMs might want to take a flier. To anyone else, I can't imagine what they'd want with this player.

Except he was also part of the texting with Wideman in the whole "it's all the stupid refs unions fault that I smashed a linesman and ended his career." Given the way the refs targeted Wideman to start the season, the whole bonus of having Campbell may not hold true anymore. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad