Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2014/15 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Athanasiou is back, he did lose 15 lbs though, so that isn't great news. But still nice to see those wheels out there and back a little earlier than expected.
Wow. If you do the math, that's a really striking amount of calories to lose per day. The kid must not have been eating enough. or rather, drinking enough. You'd figure protein shakes with ice cream and peanut butter would have been the order of the day.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wow. If you do the math, that's a really striking amount of calories to lose per day. The kid must not have been eating enough. or rather, drinking enough. You'd figure protein shakes with ice cream and peanut butter would have been the order of the day.

Yeah, was pretty surprised to hear he lost that amount, I certainly expected him to be between five to ten lbs down from it though.

Griffins open the scoring on the PP, Teemu gets an assist.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Anytime you have your jaw wired shut you're going to loss weight. It's impossible not to no matter how many liquids you drink. 10-15 pound loss seems normals to me.

Oct 18, 2006
Athanasiou is so promising, whenever he's out there he's produced.

Great to see him with an assist first game back.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Seems like Mantha has played like 1 minute since GR scored its third goal and like 10 mins all game, really shows how much confidence Blash has in him.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Seems like Mantha has played like 1 minute since GR scored it's third goal and like 10 mins all game, really shows how much confidence Blash has in him.

As a 20 year-old he's just not that effective against adults right now. His ice time should be limited if he's not performing.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
As a 20 year-old he's just not that effective against adults right now. His ice time should be limited if he's not performing.

I disagree, clearly he needs to develop his game against adults, and a good way to do that is by actually playing. He might not be dominating, but his play is still more than good enough to not get benched half way through a game. The're are few less effective forwards who recieve more consistent/better ice time.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Perhaps if the site gave any sort of indication? I registered yesterday with nothing yet... Hardly an attention span issue if no indication is giving.

That's nothing. I signed up the day before the NHL regular season started and still haven't received an email. Lol.

I had GCL for four years prior and thought I would try something new as I wasn't a fan of the Rogers deal they forced on us Canadian fans. I sucked it up though as I needed hockey. After a rocky start with tons of lag in the begining it's been back to normal.

Sorry I know this probably isn't the thread for this and you were talking about AHL.

loudernow*

I disagree, clearly he needs to develop his game against adults, and a good way to do that is by actually playing. He might not be dominating, but his play is still more than good enough to not get benched half way through a game. The're are few less effective forwards who recieve more consistent/better ice time.
I've watched the same thing all season. Blash overplays nobody's that like to chase the play.
Mantha is big
Mantha is from the Q
Mantha can think the game.
Blash isn't going to like his play

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
That's nothing. I signed up the day before the NHL regular season started and still haven't received an email. Lol.

I had GCL for four years prior and thought I would try something new as I wasn't a fan of the Rogers deal they forced on us Canadian fans. I sucked it up though as I needed hockey. After a rocky start with tons of lag in the begining it's been back to normal.

Sorry I know this probably isn't the thread for this and you were talking about AHL.
I'm a fan they gave me GCL for free lol.

loudernow*

Mantha got a helper halfway through the second then sat with Tvrdon the rest of the second. Mantha got two shifts in the third.
Zengerle is getting played 30+ shifts a game. Zengerle is going nowhere, but he does chase the play a lot. Apparently thmat must count for something

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Mantha got a helper halfway through the second then sat with Tvrdon the rest of the second. Mantha got two shifts in the third.
Zengerle is getting played 30+ shifts a game. Zengerle is going nowhere, but he does chase the play a lot. Apparently thmat must count for something

Sorry, but Mantha's apple didn't make up for him being pretty much invisible. He needs to learn how to work or he will sink like a rock under Babcock.

loudernow*

Sorry, but Mantha's apple didn't make up for him being pretty much invisible. He needs to learn how to work or he will sink like a rock under Babcock.
IMO he has been engaged. Other posters on this board have also noticed how less effective players going through the motions get a ton of time.
As far as Babs, have you ever watched Franzen.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
IMO he has been engaged. Other posters on this board have also noticed how less effective players going through the motions get a ton of time.

Yeah there's a huge difference between Mantha and Franzen. Franzen may now be more useless than (name something), but when he broke into the league it was because of his work ethic, not his scoring. Babcock has two modes, dog house and eternal love. Franzen was a big body who worked extremely hard, and Babcock fell in love and now we have the monster we see today who can do no wrong. Mantha on the other hand is currently a floater with scoring touch, and Babs hates that and could earn him a spot in the dog house.

As for being engaged, I would categorically disagree, he floats a lot. He hasn't earned any more time with the time he has had. The Wings brace have been clear they weren't going to hand Mantha anything, he had to earn it like the rest, and thus far, he's not earned more than 3rd line minutes in the AHL. I think that last year in the CHL reinforced some really bad habits, he could just dominate without trying because he was playing with children, and he thinks he can do the same with men, and it's not working.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012

I watched him be a PPG+ beast 3 PO years in a row. I for one won't be the least bit disappointed in Mantha if he turns into Franzen 2.0...just hope he doesn't take the concussions or the criticism that Mule has.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Mantha needs to make his presence felt even when he's not scoring. He's got a big body and needs to be more of a force, that's what will get him eternal love from Wings brass.

loudernow*

Yeah there's a huge difference between Mantha and Franzen. Franzen may now be more useless than (name something), but when he broke into the league it was because of his work ethic, not his scoring. Babcock has two modes, dog house and eternal love. Franzen was a big body who worked extremely hard, and Babcock fell in love and now we have the monster we see today who can do no wrong. Mantha on the other hand is currently a floater with scoring touch, and Babs hates that and could earn him a spot in the dog house.

As for being engaged, I would categorically disagree, he floats a lot. He hasn't earned any more time with the time he has had. The Wings brace have been clear they weren't going to hand Mantha anything, he had to earn it like the rest, and thus far, he's not earned more than 3rd line minutes in the AHL. I think that last year in the CHL reinforced some really bad habits, he could just dominate without trying because he was playing with children, and he thinks he can do the same with men, and it's not working.
Why is Mantha so deserving of this special coaching?
Sproul is an offensive defense man with huge potential (like Mantha) who is a team leading -11, yet plays constantly. Why isn't this reinforcing bad habits? Why doesn't Sproul deserve the same attention?
As far as floating defensively, Pulks is a 0 in +/-. Even with all the points. Why wouldn't he benefit from the same coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce