Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2014/15 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I think Athanasiou can be a good 2C in a couple years. Good 45-55pt guy who will dazzle you with his skill every now and then but doesn't have the IQ to be a star.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I think Athanasiou can be a good 2C in a couple years. Good 45-55pt guy who will dazzle you with his skill every now and then but doesn't have the IQ to be a star.

Another Filpulla then. Who will be perpetually ragged on for being a 2C and not an elite 1C. It hasn't happened with Sheahan yet, but it will soon enough.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Another Filpulla then. Who will be perpetually ragged on for being a 2C and not an elite 1C. It hasn't happened with Sheahan yet, but it will soon enough.

I don't think so. I think if he would have preformed better in college and in the AHL point wise, this would be the case. but it had become the general consensus that he was going to be a shutdown #3 at his best. then as people here saw him more in the A, he got projected peak rose a little and it was believed he might have more offensive potential yet.

He is already better than most of us thought he would be coming out of college. and if he became a consistent 50 point defensively responsible center, most of us will call that a win.

Athanasiou, and Larkin will have this problem if they dont become one though. because they are quickly building hype around them. one because he is dominating his league while being one of its youngest players:) and one because he is producing and passing the eye test in a pro league. I think while it hasn't happened yet and may not now because of his injury, but I think we might sadly see people turn on Mantha, and start really hyping AA because of production and play style. They have the same amount of points exactly but Mantha has played 9 more games. and AA's game style is more engaging to the eye, while Mantha is quieter, which looks like floating (sometimes it is, sometimes its not, but for years he's played like that, and until that changes I think Blashill is going to put him in a position to make and earn all of his production.)

sorry to get kind of off track, point being I think Sheahan's minors career calmed most hype and allowed him to make the NHL without unreal expectations among us fans. He has raised them since his debut last year, and may continue to raise them to an unrealistic standard, but to me while he has improved in all fascists of the game, its the small details that he's made his biggest strides, and considering that was one of his strengths last year makes it all the more impressive.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Filppula was ragged on for being an inconsistent #2. At no point did he approach #1 status nor was it expected. Also in this narrative Filppula is still enjoying more success on the wing than he is in the center position.

I am glad he is doing well in Tampa, but he is Stamkos' left winger there.

I was a big Filppula fan but his inconsistencies in Detroit were his undoing. He was rightly criticized a lot at the end. Ultimately he had two good seasons, a partial one and a nice Cup run. Still it was tough to deal with his disappearing acts and ultimately he failed to deliver in the #2 center spot often enough without bringing a little more intangibles to make it doable for another five to eight years. Think it was best for all involved.

I continue to believe Athanasiou will eventually shift back to wing at the NHL level.

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
I don't think so. I think if he would have preformed better in college and in the AHL point wise, this would be the case. but it had become the general consensus that he was going to be a shutdown #3 at his best. then as people here saw him more in the A, he got projected peak rose a little and it was believed he might have more offensive potential yet.

He is already better than most of us thought he would be coming out of college. and if he became a consistent 50 point defensively responsible center, most of us will call that a win.

Athanasiou, and Larkin will have this problem if they dont become one though. because they are quickly building hype around them. one because he is dominating his league while being one of its youngest players:) and one because he is producing and passing the eye test in a pro league. I think while it hasn't happened yet and may not now because of his injury, but I think we might sadly see people turn on Mantha, and start really hyping AA because of production and play style. They have the same amount of points exactly but Mantha has played 9 more games. and AA's game style is more engaging to the eye, while Mantha is quieter, which looks like floating (sometimes it is, sometimes its not, but for years he's played like that, and until that changes I think Blashill is going to put him in a position to make and earn all of his production.)

sorry to get kind of off track, point being I think Sheahan's minors career calmed most hype and allowed him to make the NHL without unreal expectations among us fans. He has raised them since his debut last year, and may continue to raise them to an unrealistic standard, but to me while he has improved in all fascists of the game, its the small details that he's made his biggest strides, and considering that was one of his strengths last year makes it all the more impressive.

Just watching Sheahan, I get the feeling there is untapped potential left to go.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
A little early, but how will the team next season look like?

Mantha - Athanasiou - Janmark
Larkin - Kadeikin - Miele
Frk - Nosek - Tvrdon
Bertuzzi - Zengerle - Nastasiuk

Ouellet - Sproul
Jensen - Bäckman
Nedomlel - Lashoff

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A little early, but how will the team next season look like?

Mantha - Athanasiou - Janmark
Larkin - Kadeikin - Miele
Frk - Nosek - Tvrdon
Bertuzzi - Zengerle - Nastasiuk

Ouellet - Sproul
Jensen - Bäckman
Nedomlel - Lashoff

Larkin won't be there and if he is he would be ahead of the other guys at center in very quick fashion. Just like Miele isn't going out of the middle given he is a consistent point per game pivot in the AHL for a while now.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Larkin won't be there and if he is he would be ahead of the other guys at center in very quick fashion. Just like Miele isn't going out of the middle given he is a consistent point per game pivot in the AHL for a while now.

Miele might not even be back with the team next season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Miele might not even be back with the team next season.

True, but if he is, he isn't going to be moved to wing on the depth chart. It reminds me of the ideas floated about where Pare would line up on the championship team. The Griffins are not solely a Red Wings play thing despite what many think on here at times. Their lineups reflect that commitment to winning at the AHL level.

Brandel*

I haven't watched the Griffins recently but just noticed they have the game clock and score on the video screen now. So amazing. I've been pestering their twitter account so long for them to add that, making gifs was beyond annoying without it. How long have they had it up on their streams?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Callahan crashes into the boards, cannot put any weight on one of his legs. Looks pretty bad in the aftermath, guessing he might be done for a significant time period, hope not, but the early outlook is not good at all.

Oct 18, 2006
Callahan crashes into the boards, cannot put any weight on one of his legs. Looks pretty bad in the aftermath, guessing he might be done for a significant time period, hope not, but the early outlook is not good at all.
No. :( Sounds a bit like Mursak's ankle injury.

If anyone is to take advantage of this I hope it's Frk. Surely he's done ought in the ECHL? I remember when this guy was a top 5 prospect.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
No. :( Sounds a bit like Mursak's ankle injury.

If anyone is to take advantage of this I hope it's Frk. Surely he's done ought in the ECHL? I remember when this guy was a top 5 prospect.

Frk has actually been doing very well down in Toledo. In just 23 games, he has 17 goals and 30 points. If Callahan is out for a significant period of time, I see no reason why they don't bring up Frk.

Oct 18, 2006
Frk has actually been doing very well down in Toledo. In just 23 games, he has 17 goals and 30 points. If Callahan is out for a significant period of time, I see no reason why they don't bring up Frk.
"Ought" should have been enough. Stupid iPad.

I agree, Frk's tore up the ECHL he deserve a proper go.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wow Teemu with a bomb from distance, a really bad goal for Ellis but still.

And yes that Dan Ellis, while he might not be an NHL guy anymore, that isn't a goalie you expect to give that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad