Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Don't really understand Evans coming back but I guess it's as the 7th guy.

Was interesting Athanasiou played center over Nosek playing on the same line at the prospect camp. Could be an indication they will try and develop him there which would make sense as we could use more depth at C and AA has the skills to do it.

Jurco-Miele-Mantha
Nosek-Nestrasil-Pulkkinen
Porter-Athanasiou-Frk
Hoggan-Aubry-Campbell/Grant

Backman-Marchenko
Ouellet-Sproul
Paetsch-Jensen
Evans

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Was interesting Athanasiou played center over Nosek playing on the same line at the prospect camp. Could be an indication they will try and develop him there which would make sense as we could use more depth at C and AA has the skills to do it.

Jurco-Miele-Mantha
Porter-Athanasiou-Frk

Backman-Marchenko
Ouellet-Sproul
Paetsch-Jensen
Evans

After last year I don't see Pulkks being demoted to 2nd line duty. Mantha still has a lot to prove, even if people here are too high on him to see it.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
After last year I don't see Pulkks being demoted to 2nd line duty. Mantha still has a lot to prove, even if people here are too high on him to see it.

Yeah I agree, Pulkkinen was not only the best player on that team last year, but showed himself as a leader. you don't demote a guy after leading your team to a great year, after a lot of talent was called up.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It just goes naturally that Mantha will be this season at ~15 minute 2nd line role instead of his 27 minute junior role. Just time to start learning those shorter NHL-style 40-50 second shifts instead of minute and a half -shifts.

That will end his floating when he has more energy to be used in shorter time period.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

Jurco-Miele-Mantha
Porter-Athanasiou-Frk

Backman-Marchenko
Ouellet-Sproul
Paetsch-Jensen
Evans

GRG keeps 8 D,,,Nedomlel too

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

I was torn between Pulky and Mantha on that top line but It's not a demotion. He showed good chemistry with Nestrasil last year. Ultimately I'd want them on a line together, at least to start out. He's still gonna get top PP time. It also better balances the lines as Jurco and Pulky are our two best, most experienced wingers at current time. Putting them on different lines spreads the wealth a little more.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Don't see why they would want Nedomlel to sit in the press box every night when he could be playing in Toledo.

My guess is that Ned has done all he could in Toledo unless the mgmt feels the new coach can teach him something. Besides Ned is big, plays a different role than the others except Evans, and needs to get more experience against bigger better players. GRG generally keeps 14-16 forwards and 8 D in case of call ups etc.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
My guess is that Ned has done all he could in Toledo unless the mgmt feels the new coach can teach him something. Besides Ned is big, plays a different role than the others except Evans, and needs to get more experience against bigger better players. GRG generally keeps 14-16 forwards and 8 D in case of call ups etc.

I think it comes down to him just not being good enough yet. He's not going to beat out any of the 7 guys ahead of him. On ice reviews of him at the prospect camp were less than stellar. I like the kid and hope he makes it but sitting and watching can't be better for his development than playing at this point. He has things he needs to improve, especially his skating. If there are a few injuries in GR or NHL call ups then Nedo moves up.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I think it comes down to him just not being good enough yet. He's not going to beat out any of the 7 guys ahead of him. On ice reviews of him at the prospect camp were less than stellar. I like the kid and hope he makes it but sitting and watching can't be better for his development than playing at this point. He has things he needs to improve, especially his skating. If there are a few injuries in GR or NHL call ups then Nedo moves up.

Yes agree, but still GRG keeps up 8, at least they have for the past few years. Probably they need 4 D a side to practice.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't see why they would want Nedomlel to sit in the press box every night when he could be playing in Toledo.

Maybe they will let injuries to solve the situation out. ;)

Like: Two NHL injuries and one AHL injury --> One Griffin will get a call up in NHL and that 8th AHL defenceman will jump in the the AHL Top6.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Maybe they will let injuries to solve the situation out. ;)

Like: Two NHL injuries and one AHL injury --> One Griffin will get a call up in NHL and that 8th AHL defenceman will jump in the the AHL Top6.

Watch next season were like Ottawa this year who only had 88 man games lost

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Watch next season were like Ottawa this year who only had 88 man games lost

Yeah, my point just was that NHL injuries will also affect AHL-roster suffling, so they will need even more depth there than in NHL to keep the team winning.

Imo, that's why they are strengthening the ties with Toledo at next season...

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yeah, my point just was that NHL injuries will also affect AHL-roster suffling, so they will need even more depth there than in NHL to keep the team winning.

Imo, that's why they are strengthening the ties with Toledo at next season...

Chicago dropped Toledo as an affiliate too, so there is even more room for Detroit to put some depth players.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Has there been any news on the soon to be channel that got 40+ games to air? Or is it still waiting to be completly ironed out? I really hope to see the channel on Comcast.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Has there been any news on the soon to be channel that got 40+ games to air? Or is it still waiting to be completly ironed out? I really hope to see the channel on Comcast.

I wouldn't count on it being on Comcast to be honest. Unless its on that channel that sometimes airs whalers games. It would be awesome if it was on FSD+

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Ah ok thanks for the link. That explains why I haven't seen **** about the channel. Really hope its on comcast without needing to get a package for it. Have a feeling I'm gonna be more interested in the Griffins than the wings this year.

Yeah same here. Its a great idea for a sports network, and could be a pioneer as far as local and minor league team sports channels go. Its also a great time for Grand Rapids to get a deal like this, with the team so strong.

The White Death

Jun 21, 2007
South of Heaven

Jurco-Miele-Mantha
Porter-Athanasiou-Frk

Backman-Marchenko
Ouellet-Sproul
Paetsch-Jensen
Evans

They haven't lost anything since last season and they've added Porter, Nosek, Miele and Mantha. Not to mention the improvement expected from AA and the D-men. I'm thinking a shot at the title is not out of the question. Thoughts?

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
They haven't lost anything since last season and they've added Porter, Nosek, Miele and Mantha. Not to mention the improvement expected from AA and the D-men. I'm thinking a shot at the title is not out of the question. Thoughts?

Absolutely but Jurco and atleast one Dman will definitely be up at some point with injuries. Around the Playoffs we should get Janmark possibly and Nasty so I think it's definitely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad