Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I've been thinking for a while that Backman might be another late round gem. That was a fantastic goal, you don't see many goals that nice from Dmen. He could turn out to be the best of our crop of D prospects.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I've been thinking for a while that Backman might be another late round gem. That was a fantastic goal, you don't see many goals that nice from Dmen. He could turn out to be the best of our crop of D prospects.
Yeah, it's funny how he gets pretty much no hype. I'd argue Bäckman & Jensen are at least as good as Ouellet, Sproul & Marchenko right now. Of course Jensen is older than the others but Bäckman just needs to settle in. When he gets that sorted out he could easily end up being the best of the bunch.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, it's funny how he gets pretty much no hype. I'd argue Bäckman & Jensen are at least as good as Ouellet, Sproul & Marchenko right now. Of course Jensen is older than the others but Bäckman just needs to settle in. When he gets that sorted out he could easily end up being the best of the bunch.

Jensen is really intriguing, his skating advantage became more and more pronounced as the game kept going. It is so effortless that it never goes away, in double ot he led a rush that almost ended it. He really could become a Bret Hedican type player, an awesome skater with good positioning that eats minutes. I think because of some of his gifts people look for offensive numbers, but a swift skating stay at home guy is a big deal especially with that right handed shot.

These kids are going to start pushing people out or at least become huge trade-bait, they are all very good and extremely impressive. Only Sproul has huge moments of defensive worry and he is obviously the most gifted in terms of tools and offense.

Backman has had his fans around here for a while, it doesn't surprise me at all that he has made a smooth transition. I would like to trade Almqvist for a player we can help develop that maybe had a rough year or something but the Wings are confident in. I just don't see the fit with what we already have up and with this group of NHL ready players in terms of skills and physical gifts chasing him. Almqvist needs a big summer and it looks like he might be unable to train during a decent portion of it after last night which is devastating to his chances in Detroit.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
almqvist is 7th round pick that has 2 NHL games on his belt and isn't exempt from waivers next year.

he doesn't have much trade value.
Let him show what he can do in the NHL and he might end up having some. With what he's done this year, I just can't see how you don't give him a shot.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Let him show what he can do in the NHL and he might end up having some. With what he's done this year, I just can't see how you don't give him a shot.

I agree. It'd be a shame to lose him for nothing on waivers or next to nothing in trade.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I tend to forget about Nick Jensen. I wonder what will happen with him...

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Nestrasil was another guy that impressed me last night, there were lots of Griffins who were having trouble carrying the puck, but he seemed to be the guy the Heat were having the most trouble taking it from.

Calgary seems to have a pretty good farm team though, Granlund and Baertschi were dangerous every time they are on the ice.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah I've been a huge Backman fan since he was drafted. He had no offensive output when he was drafted but it has started to come around. He developed in possibly the second best league behind the NHL so I'm hoping he has a great playoff run and will be given a fair shot at making the DRW roster in training camp.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Nestrasil was another guy that impressed me last night, there were lots of Griffins who were having trouble carrying the puck, but he seemed to be the guy the Heat were having the most trouble taking it from.

Calgary seems to have a pretty good farm team though, Granlund and Baertschi were dangerous every time they are on the ice.

they do. might make the postseason before the oilers.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah I've been a huge Backman fan since he was drafted. He had no offensive output when he was drafted but it has started to come around. He developed in possibly the second best league behind the NHL so I'm hoping he has a great playoff run and will be given a fair shot at making the DRW roster in training camp.

KHL is clearly ahead of SHL.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
almqvist is 7th round pick that has 2 NHL games on his belt and isn't exempt from waivers next year.

he doesn't have much trade value.

Why does it matter what round you are taken? He played great in Sweden, has played great in North America. If we were any other team besides maybe Boston, he would be a full-time player.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why does it matter what round you are taken? He played great in Sweden, has played great in North America. If we were any other team besides maybe Boston, he would be a full-time player.

earlier picks are going to get more chances even if they are worse players.

it's arguable at best that he would be full-time NHLer on any other team than boston. he's one of the best AHL dmen but hasn't shown to be that much better than everyone else.

hawks have glendening who is similar player except he is stronger skater. yet to play in NHL.

game in sweden suits AA's strengths. just like it did with rundblad.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I dunno, international competitions would suggest otherwise.

small samples, coaching etc play a role in that. russians have often used system that hasn't worked in the 80s. malkin had to tld his coach at the olympics that pull the god damn goalie, we are losing and there is no time left. in a elimination game.

sweden has one twice since 98 and both times they had very good NHLers to help them win.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
small samples, coaching etc play a role in that. russians have often used system that hasn't worked in the 80s. malkin had to tld his coach at the olympics that pull the god damn goalie, we are losing and there is no time left. in a elimination game.

sweden has one twice since 98 and both times they had very good NHLers to help them win.

Eh, I have zero interest in arguing the topic so let's move on.

Offensive d-men bringing home the win for the Griffs! :yo: Given how good McCollum has been of late I wouldn't be shocked if he gets the start today. Playing with house money up 1-0 and best to get Petr the Great ready for Game 3.

Oct 18, 2006
Do we know the severity of Almquist's injury? All I can find is this:

defenseman Adam Almquist, was much less fortunate on this night, though, as he suffered an apparent lower body injury early in the opening period when he was leveled from behind in the right corner by an unpenalized Max Reinhart long after the whistle had blown on an offside play. Almquist eventually was assisted off the ice and did not return to the game.

Hope it's not serious and he can return. Who'll replace him, Fournier?

Johnz96*

Do we know the severity of Almquist's injury? All I can find is this:

Hope it's not serious and he can return. Who'll replace him, Fournier?

I can never find good injury reports for the Griffs. I wonder if Marchenko might be back for the playoffs and when they expect Cally back.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Gif of Backman's tying goal

WeakCommonJavalina.gif

Johnz96*

Don't see why anyone world trade for Almqvist unless it's Nill. Even then it would be for next to nothing.

I think he can be 40+ point d-man in the NHL given the opportunity.
He's a much better d-man than Kindl, Quincey, Ericsson and Lahoff were with the Griffs and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he is better than most if not all of them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad