Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, it'd be nice to have Janmark in GR, but I think this is a decent compromise. They've given him a taste of NA hockey, and I'm sure they've gone over diet and workout details as well. He gets to go back to Frolunda, make more money, improve his fitness level, be a go-to guy on a good team, and Detroit gets to save a contract slot for this year and perhaps some money on his future contracts.

And those player rights are now owned for 4 years after the draft, so he could be more than 1-2 years maturing there. There's no need to bring him over before Datsyuk is near of retirement imo...

If we treat him like Zetterberg, he comes over the pond after next season as 22-year-old.

If we treat him like Datsyuk, he could come over the pond after 2015-16 season as 23-year-old.

These two nice examples will show that there's no hurry to bring European kids to NA now when those rights will last longer.

When Janmark is having a huge 20-minute role at Frölunda, some other Red Wings draftee is having that huge 20-minute role at Griffins and they are not eating important developmental ice-time from each other.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
And those player rights are now owned for 4 years after the draft, so he could be more than 1-2 years maturing there. There's no need to bring him over before Datsyuk is near of retirement imo...

If we treat him like Zetterberg, he comes over the pond after next season as 22-year-old.

If we treat him like Datsyuk, he could come over the pond after 2015-16 season as 23-year-old.

These two nice examples will show that there's no hurry to bring European kids to NA now when those rights will last longer.

When Janmark is having a huge 20-minute role at Frölunda, some other Red Wings draftee is having that huge 20-minute role at Griffins and they are not eating important developmental ice-time from each other.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk were a loooong time ago. Nowadays when guys head back to Europe they don't tend to come back. In fact all of our recent success comes from guys who came to North America and stayed here.

Valtteri Filppula
Jiri Hudler
Jonathan Ericsson
Joakim Andersson
Tomas Tatar
Adam Almqvist
Petr Mrazek

Teemu Pulkkinen and Alexi Marchenko are looking like guys who have a great shot at sticking after they made the move to North America. They both came over at the same age Janmark is right now.

Guys who went back to Europe and were never heard from again include:

Igor Grigorenko (extenuating circumstances)
Johan Ryno
Dick Axelsson
Stefan Liv (RIP)
Daniel Larsson

Can Janmark still become relevant? Sure, but most guys who do are committed to playing in North America.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah but during this time period, between the last two lockouts, those draft rigths for european players lasted only for 2 years. That's why guys have been coming over the pond earlier in recent years.

Now with new CBA, the situation for europeans is more like pre-2004. Organizations won't have to hurry them over the pond if there's a good place to develop at European team.

Also money has become a factor, like it wasn't ten years ago. ELCs AHL-salary is so laughable level against European Top leagues nowadays, that it's really hard to sell the AHL-route for an European.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Janmark's rights will only last for two years due to his age when drafted. But he could be loaned to Sweden or somewhere else for 2015-16 after signing with the Wings.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I forget to mention that Hakan Andersson is on Frolunda's board of directors, so the Wings will be able to work very closely with Janmark.

Yeah but he's said very clearly that he can't talk to the Frolunda players and use his position that way. Like tell Dick Axelsson to work harder and head back to NA or whatever. If Janmark gets signed there might be a difference, but I don't really know.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Zetterberg and Datsyuk were a loooong time ago. Nowadays when guys head back to Europe they don't tend to come back. In fact all of our recent success comes from guys who came to North America and stayed here.

Valtteri Filppula
Jiri Hudler
Jonathan Ericsson
Joakim Andersson
Tomas Tatar
Adam Almqvist
Petr Mrazek

Teemu Pulkkinen and Alexi Marchenko are looking like guys who have a great shot at sticking after they made the move to North America. They both came over at the same age Janmark is right now.

Guys who went back to Europe and were never heard from again include:

Igor Grigorenko (extenuating circumstances)
Johan Ryno
Dick Axelsson
Stefan Liv (RIP)
Daniel Larsson

Can Janmark still become relevant? Sure, but most guys who do are committed to playing in North America.

All of those guys though actually signed NHL contracts went to GR and then bolted. They didn't come for a pro tryout at the end of the season.

I haven't read anywhere yet that the Wings even offered him a contract, they might feel he is better suited to developing on a good team in the SEL than over here. Due to the fact that he had issues where he couldn't properly workout/ train up until this last season, they may feel he is a couple of years away still and know that if they stick him in the AHL for those 3 years he will probably bolt. In contrast if they give him another year in the SEL, after showing him how to properly strength train, and then bring him over. He'll probably be fine.

I think this is one of the biggest reasons Jarnkrok was traded. Even though he'll likely turn out to be a good NHLer, the Wings are done playing the if you don't play me/ I'm going home hostage game. Guys like Tatar & Nyquist have every reason to complain about being in the AHL too long. There were there for years. Jarnkrok was there for 6 months. Being bullied into giving a player NHL time is not a great precedent to start.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Valtteri Filppula
Jiri Hudler
Jonathan Ericsson
Joakim Andersson
Tomas Tatar
Adam Almqvist
Petr Mrazek

Mrazek doesnt really belong on this list. He was already in NA for a year by the time we drafted him

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mrazek doesnt really belong on this list. He was already in NA for a year by the time we drafted him

Jurco, Tvrdon, Frk and Mrazek all had some previous scouting before heading this direction. In terms of watch this player we like him. Pretty clear we are concentrating on that region. I think mostly because of the notion they were struggling to produce hockey players lately. As is pretty typical of the Wings, the second something is undervalued they poor resources into it. Probably the most underrated part of their philosophy is just that, they always seem to be on a different trend than anybody else.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If AA can't play center, AHL hockey is going to be a big test for Mantha next year if they don't shore up that center depth. If he's stuck with Ferraro or Nestrasil, he's basically being fed from a future 4th line NHL center at best.

I know AA is no Drouin, but maybe the Wings organization should make a concerted effort to mold him into an NHL center like the Bolts did with Drouin this past season. Take whatever extra measures are necessary and give him some special attention.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If AA can't play center, AHL hockey is going to be a big test for Mantha next year if they don't shore up that center depth. If he's stuck with Ferraro or Nestrasil, he's basically being fed from a future 4th line NHL center at best.

I know AA is no Drouin, but maybe the Wings organization should make a concerted effort to mold him into an NHL center like the Bolts did with Drouin this past season. Take whatever extra measures are necessary and give him some special attention.

Well the first step didn't go well, because he was moved back away from center after struggling mightily with it in Barrie.

It would be interesting if he could get it. Hate to break this to people but most 4th line centers in the NHL are pretty good players in the AHL where over half the league will never sniff that level with any consistency. For instance Nestrasil was very good after Jarnkrok left and he probably doesn't have a huge NHL future. Guys like Darren Haydar, Keith Aucion and Corey Locke are lethal AHL players that have helped with the development of others.

Quite frankly if these wingers are as good as a lot of us like to say, they shouldn't have a ton of problems. Also think one of the vet signings will likely be down the middle. Grand Rapids is a nice place to live and they have a championship caliber organization. I am curious if one of the last vet spots goes to a bigger pivot name at the AHL level, it would not surprise me.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
FYI from MLive: Detroit Red Wings to sign Czech free-agent forward Tomas Nosek to two-year entry-level contract.The 6-foot-2, 205-pound center/left wing (left-handed shooter) will compete for a roster spot in training camp. If he doesn't earn it, he'll play for the Grand Rapids Griffins. He turns 22 on Sept. 1.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/06/detroit_red_wings_to_sign_czec.html

oops sorry posted this before i read other threads

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
FYI from MLive: Detroit Red Wings to sign Czech free-agent forward Tomas Nosek to two-year entry-level contract.The 6-foot-2, 205-pound center/left wing (left-handed shooter) will compete for a roster spot in training camp. If he doesn't earn it, he'll play for the Grand Rapids Griffins. He turns 22 on Sept. 1.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/06/detroit_red_wings_to_sign_czec.html

oops sorry posted this before i read other threads

Interesting that he's good enough to be considered for a roster spot. Will be exciting to see how good he is at camp.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Well the first step didn't go well, because he was moved back away from center after struggling mightily with it in Barrie.

It would be interesting if he could get it. Hate to break this to people but most 4th line centers in the NHL are pretty good players in the AHL where over half the league will never sniff that level with any consistency. For instance Nestrasil was very good after Jarnkrok left and he probably doesn't have a huge NHL future. Guys like Darren Haydar, Keith Aucion and Corey Locke are lethal AHL players that have helped with the development of others.

Quite frankly if these wingers are as good as a lot of us like to say, they shouldn't have a ton of problems. Also think one of the vet signings will likely be down the middle. Grand Rapids is a nice place to live and they have a championship caliber organization. I am curious if one of the last vet spots goes to a bigger pivot name at the AHL level, it would not surprise me.

You aren't breaking this news to anyone. The fact of the matter is Ferraro isn't Haydar or Locke or Krog. And Nestrasil has a few months of solid play at the AHL level to go along with a lot of mediocrity. I'd rather have Emmerton centering Mantha than Ferraro or the like.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting that he's good enough to be considered for a roster spot. Will be exciting to see how good he is at camp.

If they aren't saying that, they probably aren't getting him signed. It's standard for overaged Europeans to "compete for it in camp".

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If they aren't saying that, they probably aren't getting him signed. It's standard for overaged Europeans to "compete for it in camp".

But Detroit's usually pretty straightforward and honest with players. They treat their players very well, that's part of why so many ex-players work for them after retirement. I can't see them dangling that carrot while having no intention of seeing it through.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
But Detroit's usually pretty straightforward and honest with players. They treat their players very well, that's part of why so many ex-players work for them after retirement. I can't see them dangling that carrot while having no intention of seeing it through.

It's not really dishonesty, most guys just want to have the slightest chance and this is pretty much it. Didn't they stress how Jarnkrok would get to compete for it in camp aswell, yet anyone following the team knew it wasn't possible no matter what he did. Nosek will be in camp and will get games to show what he's about no doubt, but we know that there are centers spots to fill in GR next season while we're stacked on the big club. I consider it a no risk prospect/depth signing.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's not really dishonesty, most guys just want to have the slightest chance and this is pretty much it. Didn't they stress how Jarnkrok would get to compete for it in camp aswell, yet anyone following the team knew it wasn't possible no matter what he did. Nosek will be in camp and will get games to show what he's about no doubt, but we know that there are centers spots to fill in GR next season while we're stacked on the big club. I consider it a no risk prospect/depth signing.

No doubt his chances are very slim. I just saw the fact that he could even be considered to be 'competing' for a spot as an indication that he's not some insignificant organizational depth prospect ala Aubry or something.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

Veteran spots are still available. You can almost bet GR will sign a veteran offensive centre at some point. Martin St.Pierre, Jeff Taffe, Pelletier or something along those lines.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

I think Volek & his agent feel its a win-win situation, i.e. play in NHL or be tutored by Blash

quote from MLive "Nosek's agent, Ales Volek, also represents Red Wings forward Tomas Jurco. Volek liked how Grand Rapids Griffins coach Jeff Blashill helped develop Jurco, which aided the Red Wings in their efforts to land Nosek."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
TExas Stars is one win away from Calder Cup. Leading St. Johns in the final 3-1.

No wonder we lost for a becoming Champion. They were scary good against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad