Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13 ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'll admit I don't know much about Coreau but it's possible based on age that he gets a bit of seniority over Paterson. I'm sure they'll both get a fair look though, possibly rotating.

Also depends if Detroit opts not to re-sign McCollum this offseason, I really have no idea. His NHL future is still very bleak but he has taken strides as an AHL goalie.

Maybe signing Coreau is the writing on the walls for McCollum. We don't need 6 goalies under contract.

Paterson has another year left in junior hockey. Coreau's faith will depend on if they sign a veteran or re-sign McCollum to go with Mrazek. I don't know enough about him either.

As for the depth, you definitely don't need six goalies under contract, but it's nice to have depth in the organization. The more you have, the higher chance of someone taking the next step. Most teams have more than six goalies in their pipeline: http://thegoalieguild.com/wp-content/uploads/releases/depthchartsapr2013.pdf

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Paterson has another year left in junior hockey.

I was going entirely off what someone else said in this thread. Here's what Paterson tweeted yesterday.

d1b4ca113f110e8f6ade8ed1c2692b9c.png

Maybe I took that the wrong way because that's the only place mentioning it. :dunno:
Probably just a visit.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I was going entirely off what someone else said in this thread. Here's what Paterson tweeted yesterday.

d1b4ca113f110e8f6ade8ed1c2692b9c.png

Maybe I took that the wrong way because that's the only place mentioning it. :dunno:
Probably just a visit.

Yeah it's one of these late-season things, like Sproul and Quine last year. His options starting next season will only be NHL or CHL, too young for AHL.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Im excited to see what Pulkkinen has to offer, im not really sure what to expect as I have never seen so many mixed reports on one player. From everything I have read hes a playmaking pure goal scorer who has got a lot better at skating but is terrible at skating and plays no defense but has okay defense etc, you get what im saying.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Im excited to see what Pulkkinen has to offer, im not really sure what to expect as I have never seen so many mixed reports on one player. From everything I have read hes a playmaking pure goal scorer who has got a lot better at skating but is terrible at skating and plays no defense but has okay defense etc, you get what im saying.

He has no specific strong side to his game these days. He's small, he's slow, he's not that good offensively OR defensively. I expect him to do about 30 points next season in the AHL and come back to Finland

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He has no specific strong side to his game these days. He's small, he's slow, he's not that good offensively OR defensively. I expect him to do about 30 points next season in the AHL and come back to Finland

You are two years late with this post. He was small, he was weak, he was slow, but he has always been good offensively.

Now he is built like tank, he has some speed, and become defensive energy-line player at this season.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I read that Jarnkrok could return to NA if he doesn't take a spot in the World Champs. Just thought I'd pass that along. He's named to play two games against Germany April 20 & 21 first and foremost, after that there's a new roster for the Euro Hockey Tour tournament in Czech Republic April 25-28 and after that the final team is named.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Im absolutely thrilled for Marchenko, I think once he gets some time playing NA hockey theres nothing stopping him from being a top 5 prospect. He has already shown he can excel and play great hockey at the professional level, although the style in Russia is a bit different.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I read that Jarnkrok could return to NA if he doesn't take a spot in the World Champs. Just thought I'd pass that along. He's named to play two games against Germany April 20 & 21 first and foremost, after that there's a new roster for the Euro Hockey Tour tournament in Czech Republic April 25-28 and after that the final team is named.

Do we want him to make the National team?

On one hand, it would be a bit of a disappointment if he can't make the team. Conversely, A playoff run with the Griffs could help him transition to North America and have a good rookie year in 13-14.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Do we want him to make the National team?

On one hand, it would be a bit of a disappointment if he can't make the team. Conversely, A playoff run with the Griffs could help him transition to North America and have a good rookie year in 13-14.

He's getting his games in now at least. I think that's the most important thing, so he sees what he needs to work on in the summer.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Why is Marchenko there only for a week? I get that he's still under contract but wasn't the plan to come over for 13-14 anyways? Is he playing for a national team or something?

If I took a guess the NHL-KHL transfer agreement prevents him for playing in NA this season. So instead they asked the CSKA GM, which happens to be Sergei Fedorov, if Marchenko could at least come and practice for a week.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There is also the thing in KHL or at least was that even if team hasn't got any games left it doesn't mean season/training is over. They practice for month or so after that. Or at least used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad