Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13 ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
I went to the game last night and all I can say is this is a much different team than pre lockout. McCollum made a few decent saves but was horrenous other than that. First Admirals goal on the PP was an unscreened wrist shot from the point. The power play was the result of McCollum putting the puck into the net with little pressure. Almquist looked good in the offensive zone and on the PP, but seemed very average in his d zone. I don't understand the Ferraro hype this year, he was a turnover machine and never really showed his speed. Jurco had a few flashes showing his elite ability, but a few brain farts, which is to be expected with a first year guy as young as he is. Tatar had no issue showcasing why he needs to be an everyday NHL'er. He was a man amongst boys out there and you could tell he was playing the game at NHL pace while everyone around him was playing AHL hockey. Jarnkrok needs to be on a line with Sheahan and Tats. His speed, quickness, hands, and hockey sense are NHL caliber without question. He, like Tatar, was playing the game at a faster pace than the rest of the team. He seems to have had little issue coping with ice size and physicality. If only he had been over to anchor a line with Nyquist and Tatar earlier this year...

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I don't understand the Ferraro hype this year, he was a turnover machine and never really showed his speed

I think the hype comes from the fact that we was highly touted coming out of the draft and while he may never reach the original expectations it's always nice to see the growth he had from last year to this year. The other thing is he has all the tools to be an effective NHL player, he has the speed, ruggedness & a great release, and when you put up points with those kind of tools the hype machine comes back into play.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I hope Jarnkrok has a good finish. I think his stint has been a minor disappointment. The opening weekend was predictably slow, but I probably expected at least 6-7 points. I know his line hasn't been playing top minutes but still, a goal would be nice.

As for the Griffins season going forward, they're not going anywhere in the playoffs without the Red Wings guys I think. Nyquist, Andersson, DeKeyser would be huge additions in the skill department. Lashoff might not light it up in the NHL but he would bring the shutdown ability they currently lack aswell. A bit of a catch 22 though, as Detroit needs to lose in order for them to rejoin the team.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Nyquist had a goal and three assists in his 8-game stint with GR at Järnkrok's age when he left college in 2010-11. Järnkrok now has three assists in eight games. Considering Nyquist had played three seasons in North America by then, I'm not disappointed at all with what Järnkrok has shown.

The Griffins have only won 4 out of their last 13 games, after winning 12 out of 17 before that. Goaltending hasn't been as good as earlier in the year and I think the call ups have interfered with the team quite a bit. Playing McCollum won't help much either...

The Wings missing the playoffs would be huge for GR. Even getting a couple of guys would help a lot.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I hope Jarnkrok has a good finish. I think his stint has been a minor disappointment. The opening weekend was predictably slow, but I probably expected at least 6-7 points. I know his line hasn't been playing top minutes but still, a goal would be nice.

Production wise, sure, but I was very happy with what I saw in the few games I watched. He looked very cerebral, very mature - as though he were making mental notes and absorbing the North American game instead of showing off. It seemed almost as though he was aware that this is not "his team" and was giving deference to the guys who have been there all season.

I think once he goes through training camp and is actually a member of the team, we'll see him come out of his shell more and dictate more of the play than he has so far.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Production wise, sure, but I was very happy with what I saw in the few games I watched. He looked very cerebral, very mature - as though he were making mental notes and absorbing the North American game instead of showing off. It seemed almost as though he was aware that this is not "his team" and was giving deference to the guys who have been there all season.

I think once he goes through training camp and is actually a member of the team, we'll see him come out of his shell more and dictate more of the play than he has so far.

Physically is probably the best he's looked so there's that. He's been strong on his skates and shielding the puck pretty well. I know he takes pride in defense(solid +3 despite losses) but he could try to be a little more creative. I thought he and Ferraro looked very similar in size after celebrating one of the goals. So 6'0, 180 listing is probably fair and makes you feel good about where he's heading physically.

RedWingsNow*

Am I imagining things, or are the Griffs in a bit of a spin
Also, is Mrazek hitting a wall?

Peoria Rivermen 4 (OT) at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 - Status: Final OT
Saturday, April 13, 2013 - Van Andel Arena

Peoria 0 2 1 1 - 4
Grand Rapids 0 2 1 0 - 3

1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Longpre Peo (high-sticking), 0:22; Murray Peo (hooking), 4:14; Bruton Peo (fighting), 19:12; Pare Gr (fighting), 19:12.

2nd Period-1, Peoria, Bouvet-Morrissette 2 (Hensick, Grachev), 0:43. 2, Grand Rapids, Ferraro 22 (Hoggan, Jurco), 9:13. 3, Grand Rapids, Ferraro 23 (Pare, Tatar), 9:33. 4, Peoria, Lajunen 2 (Murray, Woywitka), 14:23. Penalties-Bruton Peo (fighting), 4:38; Evans Gr (fighting), 4:38; Della Rovere Peo (unsportsmanlike conduct), 6:03; Grant Gr (interference), 6:03; Della Rovere Peo (fighting), 9:35; Callahan Gr (fighting), 9:35.

3rd Period-5, Grand Rapids, Pare 22 (Tatar, Almquist), 4:07. 6, Peoria, Chorney 4 (Murray, Grachev), 17:31 (PP). Penalties-Sheahan Gr (delay of game), 15:45.

OT Period-7, Peoria, Hakanpaa 1 (Murray), 0:20. Penalties-No Penalties

Shots on Goal-Peoria 11-11-4-1-27. Grand Rapids 10-15-7-0-32.
Power Play Opportunities-Peoria 1 / 1; Grand Rapids 0 / 2.
Goalies-Peoria, McKenna 19-15-1 (32 shots-29 saves). Grand Rapids, Mrazek 22-15-2 (27 shots-23 saves).
A-10,155
Referees-Terry Koharski (10).
Linesmen-Bob Marcis (65), Jim Scarpace (75).

3 Skinner, Brett D 0 0 +2 1 0
A 4 Paetsch, Nathan D 0 0 -2 1 0
5 Almquist, Adam D 0 1 +1 4 0
9 Pare, Francis RW 1 1 0 4 5
C 10 Hoggan, Jeff LW 0 1 +1 5 0
12 Raedeke, Brent C 0 0 0 1 0
14 Billins, Chad D 0 0 -1 1 0
15 Callahan, Mitch RW 0 0 0 1 5
19 Sheahan, Riley C 0 0 -1 3 2
20 Fournier, Gleason D 0 0 0 1 0
23 Grant, Triston LW 0 0 0 1 2
25 Jarnkrok, Calle C 0 0 0 0 0
27 Tatar, Tomas LW 0 2 -1 2 0
28 Jurco, Tomas RW 0 1 +1 1 0
29 Ferraro, Landon C 2 0 +1 3 0
33 Glendening, Luke C 0 0 0 2 0
39 Mursak, Jan RW 0 0 0 1 0
A 44 Evans, Brennan D 0 0 0 0 5

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Am I imagining things, or are the Griffs in a bit of a spin
Also, is Mrazek hitting a wall?

I think so. I think he may be getting dealing with some mental fatigue. He's played a lot of hockey over the past year, at a lot of different levels. He may not have as heavy a workload as last year, he's played 4 or 5 less games, but I think he's mentally exhausted right now. He's got to adjust to being on these much longer road trips, workout plans, and everything else that comes with being a pro.

It's why I think he's still not NHL ready, he's not mentally ready to play 20-30 games in the NHL, let alone the 60 or so needed for a starter. He'll be ready in 2 or 3 years until then we just have to give him time and remember that goalies develop in weird ways. The big test comes next year when he gets to the same point in time does he falter again, assuming that the Griffins have trouble in the playoffs as well, or does he persevere.

(Also all I can do is stat watch so I have no idea what any of the goals look liked tonight or in his previous couple of starts).

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If we look at stats, Mrazek has been alright though. A poor January, other than that >.910 every month with April too soon to tell. But he's not winning the games, which is connected to Griffins playing poorly aswell.

The guys I think are doing well just the last little while have been Jurco, Ferraro and Almquist. The rest needs to up their games with the playoffs around the corner or it'll be a first round exit. Sheahan has 2 points last 19 games, both in the same game so he's scoreless in 18 of last 19, with a -10 rating during this stretch. Missing Nyquist much?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not good to limp into the playoffs, the PP is miserable if only they just got some PP wizard that fixes their terribly weak point shots..... Oh wait they did, come on Blashill put Sproul in the game!

griffs

Sep 17, 2012
Grand Rapids, Mi
I attended a dinner with the Griffins last night.

Nedomlel, Sproul, and Paterson were all there. Marchenko and Jarnkrok both have returned home. I did not see Pulkkinen but it is possible he was there and I missed him.

Paterson confirmed that he is returning back to juniors next year. Coach Blashil made a joke about Nedomlel not playing because he mistook him for an equipment guy.

Sproul seemed bigger than I expected.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sproul seemed bigger than I expected.

Sproul has put on a lot of weight especially in his legs according to some of the scouts. Would be curious if he is close to 210.

On the Nedomlel is an equipment manager, hard to miss a 6'4" 225lbs guy, either that or the Griffins have some massive equipment people.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He will play for sure, i think it's just guys from junior that won't get a chance.
Before he left he said he's not sure if he'll actually play. I guess we'll see, would love to see him in the smaller rink.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Do we have any insight on when/if Gus will be sent back down? Its so late in the season that I wouldn't even mind if it happened. Tats needs him.

If Detroit makes the playoffs I don't think it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad