Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13 ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
There is also the thing in KHL or at least was that even if team hasn't got any games left it doesn't mean season/training is over. They practice for month or so after that. Or at least used to.

Yup. I don't know about Marchenko's contract in specific but it's not uncommon in Europe to be paid 12 months per year, where in NHL you get paid when you play and then you're off until training camp opens up.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Maybe they don't want to sign him yet so they get the three year ELC and don't burn the first year? Or maybe it's not possible to sign a amateur try-out while under a KHL contract? I'm pretty sure this is some complicated rule we wouldn't understand anyway.

Zuccarello signed with NYR from the KHL though.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe they don't want to sign him yet so they get the three year ELC and don't burn the first year? Or maybe it's not possible to sign a amateur try-out while under a KHL contract? I'm pretty sure this is some complicated rule we wouldn't understand anyway.

Yup but he was released from his contract. I agree we probably don't understand the full rules. Plus it seems like you can improvise with and circumvent them alot. The clubs that really want a player seems to get it done.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He had a clause in his contract allowing for it though.

Aug 6, 2012
Jurco with a nice goal tonight off a rebound, assisted by Jarnkrok. Would've had the GTG later but the Griffins got ripped off - the refs blew the whistle when the puck was laying in the crease after a Ferraro backhand, Jurco tapped it in but was waved off.

Jurco is really breaking through and producing much more consistently recently, which is a sign of maturity. He's looking more like a goal scorer than playmaker at this level so far. That's not to say it will remain that way. Overall I have been very pleased with what we've seen out of Jurco this year. The skill is obvious, he's got good size, and from all accounts he's a very hard worker and good learner. If he can strengthen up a bit and work on his skating I wouldn't be surprised if he put up around .65+ PPG next year.

Mursak with a beauty play to get a rushing AA the puck, who potted a nice wrister. Mursak is a team-leading +14 in just 19 games played, really impressive and just what the Griffins needed. AA with his 10th goal and is now sitting near .5 PPG. Like the aforementioned Jurco, if he can work on his skating ability and beef up this summer he could see some time in Detroit next year and eventually maybe become a bottom pairing offensive-minded defenseman. I think he gets overlooked around here. He is having a tremendous rookie season for a guy who doesn't have overwhelming skill or physical tools - he's got hockey sense that you just can't teach.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

SCORING 1 2 3 Total
Chicago Wolves 3 0 0 3
Grand Rapids Griffins 2 0 0 2

1. CHI Schroeder, (11) (Regner, Sweatt), 4:01
1. GR Jurco, (13) (Jarnkrok), 4:12 (PP)
1. CHI Sweatt, (14) (Schroeder), 12:04
1. CHI Davies, (15) (Matsumoto, Blomstrand), 13:33
1. GR Almquist, (10) (Mursak, Hoggan), 17:02

3 Skinner, Brett D 0 0 0 0 0
A 4 Paetsch, Nathan D 0 0 0 2 0
5 Almquist, Adam D 1 0 0 2 0
9 Pare, Francis RW 0 0 -2 2 0
C 10 Hoggan, Jeff LW 0 1 0 2 0
14 Billins, Chad D 0 0 -2 1 0
15 Callahan, Mitch RW 0 0 -1 0 0
19 Sheahan, Riley C 0 0 -2 2 0
20 Fournier, Gleason D 0 0 0 0 0
22 Aubry, Louis-Marc C 0 0 -1 0 0
23 Grant, Triston LW 0 0 0 0 5
25 Jarnkrok, Calle C 0 1 0 1 0
27 Tatar, Tomas LW 0 0 -2 5 0
28 Jurco, Tomas RW 1 0 0 3 0
29 Ferraro, Landon C 0 0 0 5 0
33 Glendening, Luke C 0 0 +1 1 0
39 Mursak, Jan RW 0 1 +1 3 0
A 44 Evans, Brennan D 0 0 -2 1 0
TEAM 3 0

By the way, Mursak has 14 points in 19 games... not bad. He's +14, which is pretty awesome.

Any chance this kid gets a look? I hear he has great wheels and nice hands

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
By the way, Mursak has 14 points in 19 games... not bad. He's +14, which is pretty awesome.

Yes, at the AHL level.

Any chance this kid gets a look? I hear he has great wheels and nice hands

He also gets injured at the wrong time. Each time he looks like he's going to earn a spot (even last year), he gets injured. Either it's a freak injury like in preseason or a regular injury he got this season.

He has wheels and hands, but if Tatar can't get a spot in the lineup, Mursak has no business being ahead of him. I wanted him to earn a spot last season in a line with Helm and Conner, but he went down with an injury each time.

RedWingNation11

Apr 3, 2013
Riverview
Been wanting to watch the Griffs to see the emergence of prospects we have in the system right now and wanted to know the best site to stream the games?

Oct 18, 2006
Anyone who says Jurco's been a disappointment this season is deluded. Anyone with a clue realized this was going to be a very tough season for him and one that would see him struggle to put up large point totals. In the first half he struggled a bit for confidence and didn't see a whole lot of ice time. But he's never dropped his head, we've often heard about his great work ethic, and he's put together an extremely promising last 20-25 games offensively. He's up to 13+13 now which is quite impressive and he's appearing on the scoresheet quite regularly. Watch out for him next season, I agree with 'The Nose' when he says he could be a .65 PPG next season. The guy has fought hard in his rookie season and has a really bright future. For such a skilled guy, he's scored a lot of his goals in close, a good sign, wait until he starts cashing in on his shot and hands a bit more.

RedWingsNow*

Anyone who says Jurco's been a disappointment this season is deluded. Anyone with a clue realized this was going to be a very tough season for him and one that would see him struggle to put up large point totals. In the first half he struggled a bit for confidence and didn't see a whole lot of ice time. But he's never dropped his head, we've often heard about his great work ethic, and he's put together an extremely promising last 20-25 games offensively. He's up to 13+13 now which is quite impressive and he's appearing on the scoresheet quite regularly. Watch out for him next season, I agree with 'The Nose' when he says he could be a .65 PPG next season. The guy has fought hard in his rookie season and has a really bright future. For such a skilled guy, he's scored a lot of his goals in close, a good sign, wait until he starts cashing in on his shot and hands a bit more.

I think he'll score 20 to 30 goals in the A next season.
Then he needs to get a shot at the NHL roster

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I think he'll score 20 to 30 goals in the A next season.
Then he needs to get a shot at the NHL roster

I think he gets a couple call ups when the injury bug hits next year. I think he'll be able to fight for a spot in the 2014-2015 season but ultimately that spot goes to Jarnkrok. The next year Jurco will have a new 1 way contract and should be on the 3rd line.

I think next year he'll have a 60-70 point year, while working on his overall game. I see him having a Nyquist like year in 2014-2015 though 1.00-1.10 points per game, he will be a true leader down there and he will help the Griffins reach the playoffs for a 3rd straight year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think a lot of Jurco's growth this year isn't just getting more comfortable. With his work ethic his strength has improved remarkably over the course of this season. In season strength gain is a little unusual but you see it with him, his play on the boards is night and day different from the start of the year. If he can pick up a little explosion in his skating which I think he will this summer, given his progress in season in the strength department, a whole summer could be huge for him. He has sky high potential if he fills out and picks up half a step and I think it is likely to happen for him, a very exciting prospect. Keep in mind Ferraro picked it up before injury ended his season last year, Jurco could be similar in that he comes out strong and just continues to hammer down through the season next year.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
AmericanHockeyLeague @TheAHL
#AHLFirstTeam: Svedberg (G), Schultz (D), Vatanen (D), Audy-Marchessault (LW), Johnson (C), Nyquist (RW)

Nyquist named to the AHL All-star team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AmericanHockeyLeague @TheAHL
#AHLFirstTeam: Svedberg (G), Schultz (D), Vatanen (D), Audy-Marchessault (LW), Johnson (C), Nyquist (RW)

Well earned, funny that Schultz still was in on the awards, really incredible, I know he had a flat out dominant half season, just surprised he was rewarded in the post-season awards.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I don't disagree with it, was just surprised the league honored him is all. If they were going to I really think Eberle who absolutely ripped the league apart should still be a forward selection then.

Nyquist passed him in scoring a while ago, albeit in more games. I think they consider Schultz is a different case because he wasn't an NHL player who was only down considering the circumstances. No games played in the NHL, opposed to Eberle who's played 2 full seasons.

From a marketing perspective, Schultz was a true rookie who 'developed' in the AHL before making the NHL. Eberle was only back because of the lockout. His PPG was incredible though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Does anyone know Jurcos stats the first half of the season compared to the second?

Looking at his totals it is a little disappointing but hes been pretty good lately with more ice time and more adjusted. Its that development that you want to see over the course of a season

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Does anyone know Jurcos stats the first half of the season compared to the second?

Looking at his totals it is a little disappointing but hes been pretty good lately with more ice time and more adjusted. Its that development that you want to see over the course of a season

g a pts +/- gp
OCTOBER TOTALS 1 1 2 -1 7
NOVEMBER TOTALS 3 2 5 -3 11
DECEMBER TOTALS - 1 1 1 11
JANUARY TOTALS 2 1 3 -1 11
FEBRUARY TOTALS 1 2 3 -1 10
MARCH TOTALS 3 4 7 6 15
APRIL TOTALS 3 2 5 3 4​

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?id=4614

First 35 games: 9 points
Next 34 games: 17 points

RedWingsNow*

I think he gets a couple call ups when the injury bug hits next year. I think he'll be able to fight for a spot in the 2014-2015 season but ultimately that spot goes to Jarnkrok. The next year Jurco will have a new 1 way contract and should be on the 3rd line.

I think next year he'll have a 60-70 point year, while working on his overall game. I see him having a Nyquist like year in 2014-2015 though 1.00-1.10 points per game, he will be a true leader down there and he will help the Griffins reach the playoffs for a 3rd straight year.

He should. And he might, because he's 6'2.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

These are some very lofty year to year expectations. More than doubling his production while also rounding out his game? I think a more likely scenario is he picks up 55 points(Tatar-ish production and a 25-30 point increase which is a lot), and the year after that he rounds out his game while keeping his production, possibly by adding some NHL time. He's welcome to surprise me further.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These are some very lofty year to year expectations. More than doubling his production while also rounding out his game? I think a more likely scenario is he picks up 55 points(Tatar-ish production and a 25-30 point increase which is a lot), and the year after that he rounds out his game while keeping his production, possibly by adding some NHL time. He's welcome to surprise me further.

I'll have this 3-year gradutiation plan for Jurco in our Griffins Hockey Academy:

1st year as a freshman, struggling 2nd liner, some games at bottom6.
2nd year, solid Top6 forward, juggled between 1st and 2nd lines
3rd graduation year, 1st line impact forward in AHL. (gets some games in NHL as injury replacement)

NHLr since that (from 2015-16 season).

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Griffins Game Day @GriffinsGameDay
GR Scratches: Ryan Sproul, Richard Nedomlel, Brent Raedeke and Jake Paterson

I wonder if Sproul will get to play in any games. Swapping him with Fournier shouldn't hurt the team too much... I think he was in GR last year too but didn't play.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Griffins Game Day @GriffinsGameDay
GR Scratches: Ryan Sproul, Richard Nedomlel, Brent Raedeke and Jake Paterson

I wonder if Sproul will get to play in any games. Swapping him with Fournier shouldn't hurt the team too much... I think he was in GR last year too but didn't play.

Does Sproul even have a contract? I don't remember he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad