Post-Game Talk: Goose

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Trocheck's attitude is incredibly important for this roster. We sink into ourselves too easily when things don't go well. Trocheck gets visibly frustrated and angry; and he plays accordingly.

I think Laf and, to a lesser extent Kakko, have that in them, but the whole roster has been so laissez-faire since they got here that neither has let it out much. We need more Trochecks. Hopefully Cuylle, Othmann, Edstrom, Sykora, and/or Berard bring an influx of that temperament.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The team has a lot of issues that we've dissected, but over the last little stretch, they're not playing as bad as some of the dials indicate.

Right now, any half decent look on Igor is going in. That changes the perception of a team. People have a radically different reaction to a 2-0 game versus a 1-1 game where the play is exactly the same.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that Igor is just a regular goalie. He doesn't have the alien consistency that Hank did.
He definitely runs hot, but he is looking more than human this season.

Ever since those meltdowns in Pittsburgh in the playoffs its like his confidence capacity dropped and that high level of consistent focus or whatever is unavailable to him.

He is really struggling to make that extra save or two this season and things compound on him.

I think the biggest issue with him is timing right now. Its off. Not only in his positioning and reads, but his untimely goals against. Its never good to let up a goal as a goalie, but they are happening at the wrong times, early in games when the Rangers are controlling play. Back to back goals putting them down by a pair, in the third period, etc.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Looking at the analytics of the line changes from Lav shows how dumb the move was. He changed it back and we started scoring. That's cause he shouldn't have done it in the first place. Every line he changed got worse. Kreider Mika and Kakko had great numbers yesterday. Same with Vesey Bonino and Goodrow. The Lav shuffle lines? Terrible.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Ever since those meltdowns in Pittsburgh in the playoffs its like his confidence capacity dropped and that high level of consistent focus or whatever is unavailable to him.

He is really struggling to make that extra save or two this season and things compound on him.

I think the biggest issue with him is timing right now. Its off. Not only in his positioning and reads, but his untimely goals against. Its never good to let up a goal as a goalie, but they are happening at the wrong times, early in games when the Rangers are controlling play. Back to back goals putting them down by a pair, in the third period, etc.

Igor gives up on the play an alarming amount this season. Quick is an old geezer but he’s a battler. The second Henrique goal and the overturned offsides goal, Igor barely made an attempt to save it once the play broke down. That’s concerning. Letting in goals like that turn playoff series routinely. I’m rooting for Igor to find his elite form but I would not be at all surprised to see Quick start a playoff game

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The team has a lot of issues that we've dissected, but over the last little stretch, they're not playing as bad as some of the dials indicate.

Right now, any half decent look on Igor is going in. That changes the perception of a team. People have a radically different reaction to a 2-0 game versus a 1-1 game where the play is exactly the same.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that Igor is just a regular goalie. He doesn't have the alien consistency that Hank did.
IMO Hank won only one Vezina (besides NHL politics) because he typically would have a month long stretch each season when he was somewhat even less than average and some "random" career-less-consistent goalie would be able to avoid it.

I'm not saying that Shesterkin is / will be as consistent as Hank over his career but such stretches are not uncommon even by the best.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

He isn't aggressively and confidently challenging shooters like he used to. Also struggling to control rebounds and kill plays.

To be fair they were looking for offense late
He started off 2nd period on the bench and only got on the ice for PP2 over halfway through the period, of course he generated great O zone pressure and cycle time when he was out there.

Reactions: egelband

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Wife bets the goal scorers to keep herself entertain when I make her watch the games. She had Kreider, Panarin, Trocheck tonight. Heater.

Much needed win to stop the bleeding. Means little if they don’t come out and beat the Sharks Tuesday but I’ll take it. The same concerns were there today but are chances finally started going in late.

Cuylle is a player. Why is he not playing more? On the flip side it’s hard not to think Kakko is playing his final games as a Ranger.
She’d probably love that awesome little game we used to play…pick the GW goal scorer or assisted for cumulative points throughout the season. That was always a blast.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was hoping this thread was named: "Foul"

A good time for requests is before I make the thread.

@Machinehead be like..

sandler.gif

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Looking at the analytics of the line changes from Lav shows how dumb the move was. He changed it back and we started scoring. That's cause he shouldn't have done it in the first place. Every line he changed got worse. Kreider Mika and Kakko had great numbers yesterday. Same with Vesey Bonino and Goodrow. The Lav shuffle lines? Terrible.

These meathead coaches are sucking the fun out of watching hockey. So boring. That was a dreadful game the Rangers, for their "dominance", needed the puckluck going their way to win (Kreider goal eg). I watched the game on fast forward and was still bored to death. Lavi is a Dino of the first order, but that clearly goes for the dreary drury puppet show management as well.

Zzzzzzzzz.

I watch chess GMs play and marvel at their talent and skill. I watch nhl coaches and realize these are people who spent years getting smacked in the head.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
IMO Hank won only one Vezina (besides NHL politics) because he typically would have a month long stretch each season when he was somewhat even less than average and some "random" career-less-consistent goalie would be able to avoid it.

I'm not saying that Shesterkin is / will be as consistent as Hank over his career but such stretches are not uncommon even by the best.
He's sucked the whole season.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I'm thinking coach told Shesty not to play out of his mind, so the skaters can see what happens when they do stupid s***.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

The thing that made Henrik an instant Hall of Famer is that pretty much every single year, he was a top 3 goalie. Every player goes through slumps, but having Henrik Lundqvist as your starting goaltender meant that your goaltending was going to be upper echelon. Period. End of story.

Between last season and half of this one, it's pretty clear that's not the case with Shesterkin. The highs are very high, but there's no guarantee.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Igor has a .902 save % which is not good and he has been very inconsistent but the defense around the net in high scoring danger areas has been simply atrocious. He needs to make a tough save every now and then but there are just too many high quality scoring chances being allowed most games.

Reactions: FUZfan

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
2nd goal the puck just kind of got lost in Lindgren trying to block the shot directly in front of Igor and then the puck popped out "out of nowhere" and got whacked in. A bit hard for me to blame him on that one and more on Lindgren for flailing around in the crease right in front of his goalie

But yeah, Shesterkin sure as shit hasn't been earning himself a new big contract this year. IMO he's been struggling to challenge shooters as well and has been getting beat a lot because he's sitting far back in his crease instead of coming out (for certain kinds of chances)

another thing, and I admit I haven't been watching as closely this past stretch as I've been busy and it's hard to give a shit to watch them struggle, but the forwards back checking is a goddamn gong show and directly responsible for how many goals they give up on the rush. Guys get back and then don't actually check their man, guys just don't get back, the whole team gets back and then has no idea who to cover leaving someone all along to walk in and shoot.
You either need to stop turning it over in the neutral zone or high in the offensive zone and giving up those rushes, or you need to do a much better job picking up the opposing team on the backcheck, and the forwards aren't doing any of that right now

I think teams are also trying to jump that little touch pass/cross pass coming out of the rangers zone and they gotta either change that up or be more careful with it

on the other hand I'm still laughing at how wide open Panarin got on the power play by just cycling behind the goal. whoops let's just completely lose the other teams best player on the power play and not cover him at all

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...on the other hand I'm still laughing at how wide open Panarin got on the power play by just cycling behind the goal. whoops let's just completely lose the other teams best player on the power play and not cover him at all
You got to say Ducks had zero time to react - Fox moved the puck to the open space and Panarin himself was just able to get there not a moment too early. Two Norris precision passes from Fox that turned into goals in this game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille