965.5 KB · Views: 2
  • B9C81C03-C0FF-4180-BF7B-F45CC16C4469.gif
    B9C81C03-C0FF-4180-BF7B-F45CC16C4469.gif
    965.5 KB · Views: 1

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Really didn't love that performance despite the overwhelming edge in possession and shot attempts. It seems to be a real struggle for this team to be able to penetrate the slot and they routinely settle for point shots hoping for deflections and redirects. Sure it can work but generally you have to throw as many pucks as the Rangers did last night at the net for it to happen.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The team has a lot of issues that we've dissected, but over the last little stretch, they're not playing as bad as some of the dials indicate.

Right now, any half decent look on Igor is going in. That changes the perception of a team. People have a radically different reaction to a 2-0 game versus a 1-1 game where the play is exactly the same.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that Igor is just a regular goalie. He doesn't have the alien consistency that Hank did.
Hanks a Hall of Famer, Igor a good goalie who can play really good. Sometimes that only happens in the 3rd period of close games. Goalies are weird

Reactions: kovazub94

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
And because somebody is going to say "what am I looking at????" allow me to translate:

Gus-Fox offense.

Lindgren-Fox not offense.
I'm more surprised by what Miller-Trouba generated and how their defensive metrics were the best of those combos.

Fox is a great passer but needs a transporter on his opposite side. No surprise Miller and Gus have looked good when paired with him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Really didn't love that performance despite the overwhelming edge in possession and shot attempts. It seems to be a real struggle for this team to be able to penetrate the slot and they routinely settle for point shots hoping for deflections and redirects. Sure it can work but generally you have to throw as many pucks as the Rangers did last night at the net for it to happen.
I find myself in a weird spot between wanting to complain about this and not wanting to entertain the toxic complaining about "why didn't we beat them 22-0 they're a bad team!!!!"

Which might have some merit if you approached it from a certain lens but it just gets into forest-for-trees comments like not wanting it enough and "playing down to opponents" which is fake.

On average, the Ducks lose by less than a goal per game. It's the NHL.

Reactions: egelband and zlev

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm more surprised by what Miller-Trouba generated and how their defensive metrics were the best of those combos.

Fox is a great passer but needs a transporter on his opposite side. No surprise Miller and Gus have looked good when paired with him.
They managed to have a very good night against very weak competition.

Imagine them doing the exact opposite for 17 even strength minutes and you can see why we struggle most nights.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I find myself in a weird spot between wanting to complain about this and not wanting to entertain the toxic complaining about "why didn't we beat them 22-0 they're a bad team!!!!"

Which might have some merit if you approached it from a certain lens but it just gets into forest-for-trees comments like not wanting it enough and "playing down to opponents" which is fake.

On average, the Ducks lose by less than a goal per game. It's the NHL.
Exactly this. The Ducks have beaten the Panthers, Devils, Knights, Preds, and Red Wings the last month. Even the bad teams are NHL teams with NHL players. There would be a lot of whining about the analytics numbers if they happened to be reversed last night.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Exactly this. The Ducks have beaten the Panthers, Devils, Knights, Preds, and Red Wings the last month. Even the bad teams are NHL teams with NHL players. There would be a lot of whining about the analytics numbers if they happened to be reversed last night.
Right, and I would be leading the charge on that one. You should at least be able to be in the game against the Ducks and outchance them on most nights, although every dog has his day.

At the end of the day, you can dissect it if you want, but we played basically a good game when we should have. It's not worth getting worked up or making grand proclamations about.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You got to say Ducks had zero time to react - Fox moved the puck to the open space and Panarin himself was just able to get there not a moment too early. Two Norris precision passes from Fox that turned into goals in this game.
I mean, no not really....Panarin passed it back to Fox and then just circles behind the net and all of the Ducks didn't even look at him. He was on the other side waiting for the pass and had no one within 10 feet of him. Here he is coming around behind the net and not a single Duck defender has any idea where he is, they're all puck watching. As soon as he passes the puck they just forget about him
1705948924460.png

Fox has the puck there and sees Panarin getting wide open

Now he's open in front and has a chance to get set, Fox immediately passes it. It was a bang bang play but the ducks completely blew all coverage. 3 guys directly in front of the net and one guy roaming above the circles.

1705949037689.png

Generally it was a great play by those two, great pass by Fox, he obviously sees Panarin has gotten lost and is going to be wide open at the post and he keeps the focus on him and keeps the passing lane open by moving to his right before passing it back hard across the grain

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'm not, they didn't really give up much outside of that first chance (and if anyone is putting that entire sequence on anyone other than Panarin, who not only turned the puck over but then decided to float around the top of the circle than cover anyone) then they're just looking to push an agenda.

On Fox - I don't think its about needing a transporter on his opposite side as much as it is being beneficial to have someone next to him who isn't completely inept in the OZ. Much easier to create offense when both D can actually contribute to it.

This isn't even a call to make Gus-Fox a long term thing, but more highlighting how his current partner is dragging him down.

Reactions: egelband

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think that overturned goal deflated the Ducks. That would have been a big deficit 3-1 heading into the 2nd part of the last period. Anaheim just stopped skating after that.

I don't think the Rangers could get away with this kind of play against a contender. They didn't play bad, but not great either.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not, they didn't really give up much outside of that first chance (and if anyone is putting that entire sequence on anyone other than Panarin, who not only turned the puck over but then decided to float around the top of the circle than cover anyone) then they're just looking to push an agenda.

On Fox - I don't think its about needing a transporter on his opposite side as much as it is being beneficial to have someone next to him who isn't completely inept in the OZ. Much easier to create offense when both D can actually contribute to it.

This isn't even a call to make Gus-Fox a long term thing, but more highlighting how his current partner is dragging him down.
I can only hope Drury sees how Lindgren is struggling. It's fine that he's a "warrior" and all of that but you can't have that guy playing big minutes and struggling and dragging down your best player because you're giving loyalty to what he used to do.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I think that overturned goal deflated the Ducks. That would have been a big deficit 3-1 heading into the 2nd part of the last period. Anaheim just stopped skating after that.

I don't think the Rangers could get away with this kind of play against a contender. They didn't play bad, but not great either.
Re: the second paragraph, nah, this is just exactly who they are. A good but not great team that may make the playoffs and win a round, but far from being ready to win it all.

My preseason prediction was 3rd in the Metro going up against Carolina in the first round and I'm sticking to it.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
I will admit that I lost a lot of hope when they gave up a goal in the first minute, even when it was against the third-worst team in the league. It's officially back to, "this team makes me drink."

Reactions: Captain Lindy

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I mean, no not really....Panarin passed it back to Fox and then just circles behind the net and all of the Ducks didn't even look at him. He was on the other side waiting for the pass and had no one within 10 feet of him. Here he is coming around behind the net and not a single Duck defender has any idea where he is, they're all puck watching. As soon as he passes the puck they just forget about him
View attachment 808080
View attachment 808083
I touched on it in the GDT... Mika doesn't give his teammates a target.

Look at Trocheck and Panarin stick. Look at Mika. He is always half/full cocked. It may seem trivial but it's a lot easier to locate passes with a visual target.

Mika is the only guy I can remember where he just waits indefinitely with his stick in the air. I really do not like how he fundamentally one times the puck. I got berated in the pre-season for saying it. You need to be able to handle the pass( give a target), quick release and locate it. Mika doesn't have that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

That's doubly true on this team where most of our lines are not very creative 5v5 and we rely a lot on the "D to D, shoot, hope for a bounce" play.

Lindgren misses the net with open wristers like Zibanejad and Trouba do with one-timers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That's doubly true on this team where most of our lines are not very creative 5v5 and we rely a lot on the "D to D, shoot, hope for a bounce" play.

Lindgren misses the net with open wristers like Zibanejad and Trouba do with one-timers.

You forgot my favorite Lindgren staple -

Skate the puck along the boards until you run out of space and turn it over.

It's infuriating because he CAN walk a line (in fact, he looks better and more natural doing it than Fox does.) He just doesn't do it. His instinct is to try to work off the walls which doesn't work because A. he isn't a good passer and B. even if he were our guys are rarely in position to receive a pass from here. This just ends with wasted possession.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You forgot my favorite Lindgren staple -

Skate the puck along the boards until you run out of space and turn it over.

It's infuriating because he CAN walk a line (in fact, he looks better and more natural doing it than Fox does.) He just doesn't do it. His instinct is to try to work off the walls which doesn't work because A. he isn't a good passer and B. even if he were our guys are rarely in position to receive a pass from here. This just ends with wasted possession.
Was that him? I thought it was Kakko again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad