Goodenow Leaves New York, No Deal - per TSN, 590

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

jcab2000 said:
The owners don't have $2.2 billion to lose, since they pay most of that to players. What contract do they want to change?

It's obvious the guy has no clue what he's talking about. If the season is cancelled, the players lose more than 1 billion dollars, while tons of owners lose less money than they were losing before the lockout. Do the math, if the season is cancelled, the players have already lost.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Steve L said:
How do you know that, do you have access to the NHLPA website vote results?

As much as you hate him, he represents them and their views.

If the players would play under a cap, he would accept it.

Remember he is not taking salary until this is over either

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Crazy Lunatic said:
It's obvious the guy has no clue what he's talking about. If the season is cancelled, the players lose more than 1 billion dollars, while tons of owners lose less money than they were losing before the lockout. Do the math, if the season is cancelled, the players have already lost.

It's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about

If the season is cancelled, teams will lose millions and millions of dollar value.

A 150 million dollar team all of a sudden turns into a 80 million dollar team. A 80 million dollar valued team might just fade away..........

The owners never uses the value figures when it comes to losses, because they would have less support. And the only thing the owners have now is people who don't understand a damned thing about business, being on thieir side

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
NataSatan666 said:

If the season is cancelled, teams will lose millions and millions of dollar value.

A 150 million dollar team all of a sudden turns into a 80 million dollar team. A 80 million dollar valued team might just fade away..........

The owners never uses the value figures when it comes to losses, because they would have less support. And the only thing the owners have now is people who don't understand a damned thing about business, being on thieir side

That is partially true... but with a beneficial CBA in place the value of their franchise will go up, so it is not as clear cut as ytou make it out to be.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
If this thing was really dead wouldn't the NHL cancel the season like they said they would? The fact that they haven't has now got me feeling a little more optimistic.

Robert Paulson*

Wow, 13 ****ing hours over the last 2 days and they couldn't even get close to agreeing on the main issue. Wow.

Crazy Lunatic

NataSatan666 said:

You are just talking out of your a$$ at this point. Franchise value is a paper figure and only has any meaning if people actually want to buy your franchise. At least 20 of the 30 teams couldnt give away their franchises. Secondly, an NHL owner doesn't give a rats ass about "franchise value" on paper unless he *wants* to sell his team within the next year. And if he did want to sell, the only sure fire way to increase franchise value would be to get a hard salary cap so your theory make no sense whatsoever. Under the current economic system (where players get 75% of total revenue), NHL franchises are unprofitable money traps and enough owners have realised that. Too bad you can't. I'll try and make it simple for you.

If season is cancelled:

Total players loss = Over 1 billion dollars in salary they *never* get back.

Total owners loss = Less money that they lost last year.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
You are just talking out of your a$$ at this point. Franchise value is a paper figure and only has any meaning if people actually want to buy your franchise. At least 20 of the 30 teams couldnt give away their franchises.

That's flat out not true. There are less than 10 owners remaining from the last lockout. That's 20+ changes in ownership and/or expansion teams in the last 10 years

Crazy Lunatic

John Flyers Fan said:
That's flat out not true. There are less than 10 owners remaining from the last lockout. That's 20+ changes in ownership and/or expansion teams in the last 10 years

You think the current NHL climate is the same one from 1994? Keep dreaming, man. Do you even remember 1994? the NHL was supposed to be breathing down the NBA's neck. Did you miss a failed expansion experiment? Did you miss multi-milliondollar television contracts that all dried up? You are living in neverland if you think people are clamoring to buy NHL franchises in 2004. Prove me wrong, who would buy the Carolina Hurrianes? Pittsburgh Penguins? Atlanta Thrashers? Phoenix Cayotes? Anaheim Mighty Ducks? Edmonton Oilers? Nashville Predators? Washington Capitals? Florida Panthers? etc, etc, etc without a salary cap in place?

The fact is, most of these new owners you use to support your case only bought those teams on the condition that a salary cap would be instituted after the current CBA was up. Besdies the few big boys that make modest profit, NHL teams are worthless money traps.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
On the subject of "franchise value," a few publications crunched the numbers on the sale of the Atlanta Thrashers, Hawks, and Philips Arena last year. It was concluded that the value of the sale roughly equaled the value of the Arena and the Hawks, so the Thrashers were quite literally "given away."

thistle

Oct 18, 2003
Slightly off kilter
Lou is God said:
If this thing was really dead wouldn't the NHL cancel the season like they said they would? The fact that they haven't has now got me feeling a little more optimistic.

Agreed, and if all was really lost, wouldn't both parties be bashing and blaming the lost season on each other by now. They're still posturing. All along its been a game of chess played through the media. As we approach the abyss, it's become a mexican stand-off, someone will blink soon.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Lou is God said:
i wish i was as optimistic as you. i think the only reason the nhl hasn't canceled the season is to add a sence of urgence to the talks. even if the players sign they will have to cancle because there is not enough time left to have a season. for the oweners to buy new equp., hold traing camp for a twenty game season [for the losers] dose not sound like a good business deal.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Old Master said:
i wish i was as optimistic as you. i think the only reason the nhl hasn't canceled the season is to add a sence of urgence to the talks. even if the players sign they will have to cancle because there is not enough time left to have a season. for the oweners to buy new equp., hold traing camp for a twenty game season [for the losers] dose not sound like a good business deal.
that's going by the old timetable. There's only time for 20 games..if we end in mid April. If the season was extended into the first week and a half of May...there's plenty of time for a 30-35 game season. The owners themselves wouldn't feel any urgency to get this done now if it wasn't to preserve THIS season. They hold the cards, and time is more on their side than it is the PA.

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
Steve L said:
so why werent the players allowed to vote on each proposal?

Because Goodenow cares about noone apart from "winning" and the high earners.

Why aren't the owners allowed to vote. I would lay even money that the majority of owners would have accepted the last NHLPA proposal.

Crazy Lunatic

pkwjr said:
Why aren't the owners allowed to vote. I would lay even money that the majority of owners would have accepted the last NHLPA proposal.

You must lose a lot of money making foolish bets.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
pkwjr said:

oh, the one with that sweet, sweet joke of a band-aid? the "roll-back?"

Please. This lockout is happening for a reason, and while people like to blame it on Bettman, it's been a long time coming and the cap is the focal point. No "Majority" of owners would vote against it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
nomorekids said:
that's going by the old timetable. There's only time for 20 games..if we end in mid April. If the season was extended into the first week and a half of May...there's plenty of time for a 30-35 game season. The owners themselves wouldn't feel any urgency to get this done now if it wasn't to preserve THIS season. They hold the cards, and time is more on their side than it is the PA.
if you run the season that late in the states you will be playing in swimingpools!

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Jester said:
...to the nhlpa.

bob,

you've done a great great disservice to the men you supposedly represent the best interests of. you represent a group of men who have spent their entire lives training to play hockey. this is all they have to do. furthermore you represent a group that has a very short period of time to earn a living at this chosen career path, you've just forfeited over a tenth of most of their time in the most selective hockey league in the world because you were so tactically stupid as to not accept the concept of a salary cap and work it to your advantage as much as possible.

you rant and rave about a system that would pay the group you represent an amount of money that is grossly out of proportion with what the average person in the most wealthy nation in the world makes. even under the "harshest" aspects of the offers you recieved your members were guaranteed of making millions of dollars over the course of their careers prior to the age of 30.

good job bob. they lost one full year of that, and in all liklihood another half of it next year.

thanks.
Isn't the average player's NHL career about five years?
I think the average NHLPA member has just sacrificed more than a tenth of his lifetime hockey earnings.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
misterjaggers said:
I think the average NHLPA member has just sacrificed more than a tenth of his lifetime hockey earnings.

It's as true as people thinking that because the average salary is 1,800,000$ , they think half the players are making that money.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Russian Fan said:

It's as true as people thinking that because the average salary is 1,800,000$ , they think half the players are making that money.
The average player's NHL career isn't about five years?

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
misterjaggers said:
The average player's NHL career isn't about five years?

it's true mathematically because you count every Brett Harkins, Libor Pivko & Jean-Guy Trudel who played 10-20 games in the NHL. But can you say that 60-70% of the NHL players , you 've seen them only 5 season in the NHL ?

numbers can be tricky when you want to play with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad