Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Russian Fan said:
it's true mathematically because you count every Brett Harkins, Libor Pivko & Jean-Guy Trudel who played 10-20 games in the NHL. But can you say that 60-70% of the NHL players , you 've seen them only 5 season in the NHL ?

numbers can be tricky when you want to play with them.

...Libor Pivko is a prospect that played 1 game on call up last year, but was almost a lock to make the team this year. How does he fit in? :dunno:

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
nomorekids said:
...Libor Pivko is a prospect that played 1 game on call up last year, but was almost a lock to make the team this year. How does he fit in? :dunno:

I think he's saying the important number is the median, not the mean (average). The existance of extremem outliers (players who play 10 games and then disapear), skew the average down toward 5 years. Think about the scrubbiest-scrub on your team (lets say....Cory Cross for the Oilers) and chances are you remember him being around for more then 5 years.

The 'average' tells you that if you stick 1 hand in boiling water and the other in ice water, you really should be quite comfortable. :)

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Marconius said:
I think he's saying the important number is the median, not the mean (average). The existance of extremem outliers (players who play 10 games and then disapear), skew the average down toward 5 years. Think about the scrubbiest-scrub on your team (lets say....Cory Cross for the Oilers) and chances are you remember him being around for more then 5 years.

The 'average' tells you that if you stick 1 hand in boiling water and the other in ice water, you really should be quite comfortable. :)

Thank you for completing what I meant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->