GDT: Gold Medal Game • Jan. 5 • Sweden 1, Russia 0 (OT) • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Obviously, any team would rather finish third than second. Congratulations, and enjoy the fulfillment!

Well, it's like the old saying:

"You lose the silver, you win the bronze."

I always feel bad for the 2nd place teams because it usually takes a few days to realize the accomplishment.

I guess the 4th place guys really have it bad because they have nothing to show for it. Finland was so close too.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Short of committing illegal acts, when someone purchases a ticket to a sporting event they are allowed to behave in whatever manner they want. The crowd was fantastic, they showed continued support for all of the underdog teams throughout the tournament, even encouraging the over-matched Danish team in their match against Canada and heavily supporting the Latvian squad that got blown out against the Americans. They managed to put 14,000+ people in the stands for games that did not involve the host country and took in the participating nations, providing them with an unmatched atmoshphere that certainly would not be prevalent in Europe. The kids on Team Sweden are going to remember that insane reaction to Zibanejad's goal for the rest of their lives and the overwhelming level of support and encouragement that they received in the gold medal game. It was a sea of support for Sweden all the way.

Step up and be hosts? There is not another city outside of this country that could have been as gracious and inviting hosts as Calgary and Edmonton were in this tournament. They represented Canada and hockey well to the world. That is not even debatable.

Canadian kids are taught about the values of respecting your opponent from the time that they first strap on a pair of skates. I remember countless lectures while growing up and playing hockey about the importance of not showboating, not running up the score, and being a gracious winner as well as a gracious loser. Kuznetsov displayed a distinct lack of sportsmanship in the last two tournaments towards teams that Russia beat. So why should the crowd be condemned for voicing its displeasure towards his behaviour? Did you hear the crowd booing any other Russian players? I certainly did not.

Now, I don't know what the cultural climate of sports is like in Russia, but any Canadian player would have been raked over the coals by his coaching staff and criticised by fans and media personnel had they made gloating remarks following a victory against an opponent. Kuznetsov is a nineteen year-old man, not a child, and he needs to take responsibility for his actions. You excusing his behaviour and choosing to focus on the RESPONSE rather than the initial actions that provoked it is patently ridiculous.

The tournament was hosted in Calgary, not Montreal or Quebec City, unless I am mistaken?

Dumbest thing I've ever read. That's why we get to see Canadians celebrate like they scored a Stanley Cup winning goal when they score to make to make it 15-0 against Latvia? Your crowd doesn't need Kuznetsov doing whatever you think he did wrong to boo him. You guys boo'd the Americans out of the building? And why? Oh yeah because Team USA beat Team Canada two years ago to ruin your bid for a 6th straight Gold Medal. The Canadian fans behaved pretty classlessly for the most part. Booing junior players when Canada isn't even playing is embarrassing. It's just hockey, folks.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
1. I love how Russians try to turn everything into a conspiracy theory against their team. Canada and Russia have a historic rivalry, so obviously the crowd is going to be supportive of Sweden, who had an incredibly likeable roster, and did not taunt Canada when they beat them in a pre-tournament match like the Russians have done the past two years. Learn to win with grace.

2. Never once did I claim that Sweden was the underdogs. I said that Canadians have an affinity for supporting teams that are underdogs and then referenced their support of the Danish kids (especially in the wake of the faux press conference scandal) and their vocal support of Latvia in a game against the United States in which they were thrashed. Learn to read properly.

3. I would be willing to wager that most people on here would rather win bronze than silver. The latter is a much more fulfilling feeling and I personally feel significantly happier with this year's result than the past two tournaments.

I doubt you know the names of two players on Denmark and Latvia combined. Canadian hockey fans for whatever reason have an irrational hatred of all things American and Russian. I'm sure they'll boo Sweden loudly next year if they dare knock off the Canadian juggernaut.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canadians keep talking about how shockingly disrespectful Kuznetsov was, but after watching the game from end to end, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about? Are you talking about celebrations after scoring goals? Most of these kids are much more conscious of European football etiquette than they are of what the proper behavior is in Canadian hockey. In football (soccer), all goal scorers have their own personalized form of celebration dance after scoring. The swim move that Kuznetsov uses is one he probably learned from watching his soccer hero. If that is what got the Canadian fans all goosed up, that is pretty pathetic.

See, this is the thing.

We get annoyed by the over-the-top goal celebrations which are standard in Europe, and you get annoyed by the booing which is standard here.

It's just cultural confusion.

Yaksuhev72 said:
I love how Canadians euphemize spewing their hatred for Russians and Americans by talking about "supporting the underdogs." Sweden was the underdog last night??? Sweden was by far the most dominant team in the tournament. Sweden beat Canada in the pre-tournament games, then beat Russia in the round-robin portion of the tournament. So why would Sweden suddenly emerge as "underdog" in the Medal round to a team that they had already beaten? If they were honest, Canadians would admit that it was the normal hatred toward Russia, compounded by bitterness and sour grapes over having been relegated to the Bronze Medal game.

Oh, give it a rest.

Is Russia a great hockey country or not? Make up your damned mind already. You can't have it both ways.

Sweden hadn't won the tournament in over 30 years? And you don't think they're a natural underdog?

While Russia is the defending champion?

Use your brain.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
See, this is the thing.

We get annoyed by the over-the-top goal celebrations which are standard in Europe, and you get annoyed by the booing which is standard here.

It's just cultural confusion.

Oh, give it a rest.

Is Russia a great hockey country or not? Make up your damned mind already. You can't have it both ways.

Sweden hadn't won the tournament in over 30 years? And you don't think they're a natural underdog?

While Russia is the defending champion?

Use your brain.

Depends what you mean with "underdog" the team we had this WJC or underdogs overall?

Silver 2008.
Silver 2009.
Bronze 2010
And in 2011 we were so close to get into the final. Shootout screwed it up against Russia. Like Finland lost against us.

(This is if we're talking about the last 5 years.)

I would call an underdog a team that's usually never in the medal games. (a weaker team) Like Slovakia, Switzerland, Latvia, Denmark etc etc

But we're sure underdogs when it comes to the damn gold :laugh:

Macman

May 15, 2004
I don't hate Russia or Russians. I hate Russian hockey. It's the nature of fandom worldwide. Anything wrong with that? Don't Russians hate Canadian hockey? Sure seems that way. Hell, we're blamed when we're not even playing. My beef with Kuznetsov is his on-ice hotdogging, his obvious taunting of Jenner after he was hurt and his dismissive comments (Yakupov's too) before and after the game. For example, Kuznetsov's comment that he couldn't understand how a team like Canada could possibly have scored four times against them in the third, and how his was the best junior team in the world. Meanwhile he was likely soiling his drawers like every Russian fan in the dying seconds of the semi.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I cheered for Sweden in the finals for a number of reasons:
1. At the beginning I was fairly neutral but the Swedes really won me over with their skill and the uptempo style they played. The Russians played a boring, passive game in the final game where they sat back waiting for the Swedes to make a mistake.
2. The Swedes have gone so long without winning the tournament and this meant a great deal to their country.
3. The Russians knocked Canada out. I usually have a tendency to cheer against the team that knocks my team out.

As for the Russians, I thought Kuznetsov brought the criticism on himself. If a Canadian acts like that in Russia, I am sure that he will be public enemy number one. I felt bad for the Russian goalie who really put on a show. In the end though, the team that played far better won. Had the Russians played like the Swedes in the final I would have probably cheered for them to win. I'm a hockey fan first and foremost and those Swedish kids played their hearts out. It would have been a real shame if they had lost after putting on that show.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would call an underdog a team that's usually never in the medal games. (a weaker team) Like Slovakia, Switzerland, Latvia, Denmark etc etc

Personally, I don't think underdog is a strong enough word for that.

There's usually a favourite and an underdog in every game.

For an outlandish event, like USA vs. SU in 1980 or Belarus vs. Sweden in 2002, I'd use a term like a "Cinderella" team.

Sweden is obviously a very good team, but 30 years is also a long time. :)

vanwest said:
Personally, I cheered for Sweden in the finals for a number of reasons

I always cheer for Sweden (after Canada). I like their style of hockey and as I've said elsewhere, my current and future favourite players are Swedes.

I think Swedes, with the puck skills developed at home, combined with the physicality from playing in North America, can become extremely good hockey players.

Finland is up there too, because I admire their intensity.

Last edited:

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
That's why we get to see Canadians celebrate like they scored a Stanley Cup winning goal when they score to make to make it 15-0 against Latvia?

Oh please.

When Canada beat Latvia 16-0 several years ago the Canadian players stopped celebrating right around the fifth goal and actually appeared embarrassed when the score got more and more out of hand. Anyone who bothered to watch that tournament can tell that several goals in they simply skated right back to the face-off circle. That's a fact. And it's because they didn't want to show up their opponent; get the goals for the goal differential tie-breaker and don't humiliate the Latvian players. The crowd stood up and gave the Latvians a loud ovation at the end of the game as well for the fact that they never stopped skating, that their effort was just as strong at the end as at the beginning of the game, and their clean play.

Your crowd doesn't need Kuznetsov doing whatever you think he did wrong to boo him.

And yet that's the reason he was booed. It's funny how when one provokes a response from the crowd through unsportsmanlike or classless behaviour you're the one to go after the crowd for acting in a predictable fashion. Like so many Russian apologists you would rather just play the "evil Canadian" angle rather than actually encourage the Russian CAPTAIN (of all players he should know better) to take some responsibility for his actions. Holding his ear to the crowd? This isn't the bloody NBA or NFL where showboating and goading opponents is commonplace. We hold hockey players, and captains in particular, to a higher standard.

You guys boo'd the Americans out of the building? And why? Oh yeah because Team USA beat Team Canada two years ago to ruin your bid for a 6th straight Gold Medal.

No, moron. It's because, although intellectually challenged individuals such as yourself may find it difficult to believe, Canada and the United States have a long-running rivalry in sports that is actively engendered by our shared political and geographic proximity, the fact that we share such a common North American culture in a whole sphere of areas, and the fact that because of these shared components the games we play with each other in whatever sport are much more heightened and competitive as a result. This is what happens when you share the world's longest undefended border, have one of the world's largest trading relationships, and have the most tourists between borders on the continent. Canadians and Americans are as intertwined in their relationship as Germans and the French, as Russians and Ukrainians, as Brazilians and Argentines, and other major relationships between neighbouring states.

The American baseball team got booed at the World Baseball Classic before a game in Toronto three years ago and that's in an entirely different sport. Canadians were coming off a huge high for beating the American baseball team the previous tournament. The Canadian junior football team gets up every year to play the Americans and takes those games seriously. The Canadian lacrosse team's biggest rival is the Americans. Hell, the rivalry between Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson and later Michael Johnson and Donovan Bailey in TRACK AND FIELD of all athletics is well-documented. We've had a rivalry in hockey dating back to the 1920s when the Americans were the only other international club until the 1950s that could even be remotely competitive with Canada. So don't act like the Americans are so hard done by or that the crowd is picking on them. This is a reciprocal sporting rivalry across a whole host of disciplines and fans on both sides are actively engaged in it.

The Canadian fans behaved pretty classlessly for the most part. Booing junior players when Canada isn't even playing is embarrassing. It's just hockey, folks.

Seemed to me like the Swedish players loved the crowd and will fondly remember their support for the rest of their lives. If you choose to make up negatives to suit your absurd position fine. Continue to embarrass yourself with the sour grapes.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
I doubt you know the names of two players on Denmark and Latvia combined. Canadian hockey fans for whatever reason have an irrational hatred of all things American and Russian. I'm sure they'll boo Sweden loudly next year if they dare knock off the Canadian juggernaut.

Nicklas Jensen (seen him play many times in Oshawa) and Sebastien Feuk.

I guess that means that my position is now suddenly credible. :sarcasm: Seriously, of what relevance is a memorization of each team's roster to the conversation? It has absolutely no relevance to anything.

The funny thing is that you're not even aware of the irony of your words, especially with your completely transparent paranoia of all things Canada. Alex Ovechkin is one of my favourite players. I was crushed when former Toronto Maple Leaf Igor Korolev died in the Lokomotiv plane crash in September. One of my favourite Leafs of all-time was Dmitry Yushkevich for his hard-nosed play, toughness, and shot-blocking abilities. He was also a stellar post-season performer and it was a sad day when a blood clot in his leg forced him to miss the 2002 playoffs. The team might have made it to the Finals had he been playing.

The fact of the matter is that this has nothing to do with black and white nationalist sentiment like you are inaccurately portraying and everything to do with class and sportsmanship. Canadian fans still haven't forgiven American players for Jack Johnson's illegal hit on Steve Downie at the 2006 tournament in Vancouver and the rivalry has only gotten more heated since then, to say nothing of the fact that Canada and the United States have a historic rivalry in many sports anyways. I personally like competitiveness and admire the way the Americans play and know many Canadians who feel the same way. Their talents in the CHL, as well as that of Russians like Yakupov, Grigorenko, and Marakov, make the league a much better one to watch and enjoy at it improves the talent pool.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Personally, I don't think underdog is a strong enough word for that.

There's usually a favourite and an underdog in every game.

For an outlandish event, like USA vs. SU in 1980 or Belarus vs. Sweden in 2002, I'd use a term like a "Cinderella" team.

Sweden is obviously a very good team, but 30 years is also a long time. :)

EDIT: got it all wrong, i guess

Jooked

Feb 9, 2010
Short of committing illegal acts, when someone purchases a ticket to a sporting event they are allowed to behave in whatever manner they want.

:shakehead

When attending any sporting event it is assumed you have read and agreed to the Code of Conduct written on the back of every ticket.

http://www.scotiabanksaddledome.com/site/saddledome/?ID=55

To suggest Canada does a better job at educating their kids on sportsmanship is asinine. Gracious losers don't find ways to exempt themselves from being gracious losers. Steve Downie was an absolute disgrace on the ice a couple years back. Nazem Kadri's throat slash gesture was morally, culturally worse then anything the Russians did.

I'm not gonna even bother with the rest of post.

When the tournament was over and they were honoring the best players of the game/tournament, the crowd in Calgary had a great chance to let it go and be gracious hosts and acknowledge the kids who played their hearts out. When Kuznetsov's name was called for an award he truly deserved, he was met with a rain of boo's.

An absolute classless response for a 19 year old who made the mistake of acting like a 19 year old. Then again it's clearly hard to expect maturity from someone his age when you got mature "Canada" fans pulling stunts like this.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/5942591.bin?size=pu460

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
First he said, "there will be blood on ice"... Okay? :laugh:

And then he mocked the Canadian fans by saying something like, "Where were they in the third period last year...".. and said something about silence or what not.

If a 19 year old can say these things to the media, his feeling shouldn't be hurt if the crowd boos him which they did only once post-game.

can you post a link because i havent seen these any where

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Dumbest thing I've ever read. That's why we get to see Canadians celebrate like they scored a Stanley Cup winning goal when they score to make to make it 15-0 against Latvia? Your crowd doesn't need Kuznetsov doing whatever you think he did wrong to boo him. You guys boo'd the Americans out of the building? And why? Oh yeah because Team USA beat Team Canada two years ago to ruin your bid for a 6th straight Gold Medal. The Canadian fans behaved pretty classlessly for the most part. Booing junior players when Canada isn't even playing is embarrassing. It's just hockey, folks.

That's a flat out lie. There wasn't a single time this tournament that a Canadian player did an over the top celebration once the game got out of hand. Stop exaggerating everything to prove your point. Go back and look at the game against Finland on boxing day. Once the score was 4-1, there were no celebrations. Same against the Czechs or the Danes. You guys simply make up stuff.

I also don't understand this notion that these are just kids. There's a difference between a 18/19 year old kid and a 11/12 year old kid. The players are already playing pro hockey in Europe, major junior hockey in Canada, attending university programs and a lot of them will be playing in the NHL one day. In other words, when they're playing for their club teams, they're already expected to behave in a professional manor. Why does that standard change when they play at the world juniors?

By the same logic being applied, we should condemn americans for their classless acts when it comes to College sports, right?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Also, when he got the player of the game in Canada game, he put his hands by his ears and urging the crowd to do something. What did he expect? A loud cheer from the crowd... Let's be honest: He wanted the boos and he got them.

they were booing him before that

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They were booing him for goading Jenner into that spearing incident by taunting him after he had gotten hurt.

Yeah, I can't see why people have a problem with him being booed. If he acts like he did he should expect the boos. If a Canadian acts like he did when the tournament is in Russia he will get the same treatment. People should stop pretending that this is a Canadian thing. I've watched enough international sports to see this happen and not just in hockey.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
:shakehead

When attending any sporting event it is assumed you have read and agreed to the Code of Conduct written on the back of every ticket.

http://www.scotiabanksaddledome.com/site/saddledome/?ID=55

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Thanks, tips. There is nothing on a ticket that has ever stated that booing is not allowed.

Provide some proof since you are clearly suggesting otherwise.

To suggest Canada does a better job at educating their kids on sportsmanship is asinine. Gracious losers don't find ways to exempt themselves from being gracious losers. Steve Downie was an absolute disgrace on the ice a couple years back. Nazem Kadri's throat slash gesture was morally, culturally worse then anything the Russians did.

Canada does a fine job in this regard as I cannot think of an incident where a Canadian player has talked down an opponent after defeating them or blatantly egged on a hostile crowd with childish hand gestures like they're in a wrestling match.

And it was well documented, by the way, just how reserved and well-behaved Downie acted in his two Team Canada appearances. There's a reason he went nuts once the OHL season resumed.

I'm not gonna even bother with the rest of post.

I doubt you would be able to given your weak arguments thus far.

When the tournament was over and they were honoring the best players of the game/tournament, the crowd in Calgary had a great chance to let it go and be gracious hosts and acknowledge the kids who played their hearts out. When Kuznetsov's name was called for an award he truly deserved, he was met with a rain of boo's.

So the player that was taunting the crowd and the home team was booed? Big deal. He's a man and part of being a man is taking responsibility for one's actions. Booing is quite tame in comparison to what crowds at sporting events in Europe have done in the past. No one physically assaulted Kuznetsov, no one threatened him, he got booed. He shouldn't have acted so classless in the first place. Calgary and Edmonton did a phenomenal job at supporting most of the countries in this competition. They didn't like Team Canada's most prominent rivals?! SHOCKER.

An absolute classless response for a 19 year old who made the mistake of acting like a 19 year old. Then again it's clearly hard to expect maturity from someone his age when you got mature "Canada" fans pulling stunts like this.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/5942591.bin?size=pu460

Suggesting he's a diver? OH THE HORROR. Although the Russians are responsible for Swan Lake and judging by the antics of some of them in this tournament they appear to have taken that to heart.

AugustBurnsRed*

Get over it and lighten up.

AugustBurnsRed*

Russia is actually my second favourite country besides my own. Nice stereotype though.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
"Enormous pressure from swedish media on swedish team"? Actually not many cares in Sweden.

Great game. weird with with just one goal?

Johan Larsson is a very good leader

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
"Enormous pressure from swedish media on swedish team"? Actually not many cares in Sweden.

Great game. weird with with just one goal?

Johan Larsson is a very good leader

Did you hear the Swedish announcers? Did you see the headlines on the newspaper (they went overboard though)?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
All this complaining about Canadian hockey and fans is so stupid.

Watch the World Juniors before 2009 and see the enthusiasm... It's pathetic. Less than 1000 fans show up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad