GDT: Gold Medal Game • Jan. 5 • Sweden 1, Russia 0 (OT) • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
Paying money doesn't entitle you to be an idiot. I honestly hate this "Trump Card" response as all it does is wreak of entitlement. The crowd was classless. You're the hosts of the tournament, step up and be hosts. Unfortunately that means sucking it up even when things don't go your way.

Short of committing illegal acts, when someone purchases a ticket to a sporting event they are allowed to behave in whatever manner they want. The crowd was fantastic, they showed continued support for all of the underdog teams throughout the tournament, even encouraging the over-matched Danish team in their match against Canada and heavily supporting the Latvian squad that got blown out against the Americans. They managed to put 14,000+ people in the stands for games that did not involve the host country and took in the participating nations, providing them with an unmatched atmoshphere that certainly would not be prevalent in Europe. The kids on Team Sweden are going to remember that insane reaction to Zibanejad's goal for the rest of their lives and the overwhelming level of support and encouragement that they received in the gold medal game. It was a sea of support for Sweden all the way.

Step up and be hosts? There is not another city outside of this country that could have been as gracious and inviting hosts as Calgary and Edmonton were in this tournament. They represented Canada and hockey well to the world. That is not even debatable.

Saying stuff like Russian's deserved it for being immature and showing poor sportsmanship makes me wonder if anyone even realizes what tournament they were watching. They're all U20 Kids out there. How do you expect maturity from a bunch of kids, when 15000+ adults can't even do it themselves? But hey the kid pissed us off he deserves it right?!

Canadian kids are taught about the values of respecting your opponent from the time that they first strap on a pair of skates. I remember countless lectures while growing up and playing hockey about the importance of not showboating, not running up the score, and being a gracious winner as well as a gracious loser. Kuznetsov displayed a distinct lack of sportsmanship in the last two tournaments towards teams that Russia beat. So why should the crowd be condemned for voicing its displeasure towards his behaviour? Did you hear the crowd booing any other Russian players? I certainly did not.

Now, I don't know what the cultural climate of sports is like in Russia, but any Canadian player would have been raked over the coals by his coaching staff and criticised by fans and media personnel had they made gloating remarks following a victory against an opponent. Kuznetsov is a nineteen year-old man, not a child, and he needs to take responsibility for his actions. You excusing his behaviour and choosing to focus on the RESPONSE rather than the initial actions that provoked it is patently ridiculous.

Pathetic showing on the world stage by the cultural capital of Canada.

The tournament was hosted in Calgary, not Montreal or Quebec City, unless I am mistaken?

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
I know but Canada wasn't the same team they were when the tourney started. That game woke up Canada and you could compare the difference with 3-1 Canada Finland in practise game to 8-1 Canada Finland 1 week later in the opening game. In between those 2 games Canada played Swe and you did us a how you say it disservice and woke them up so they'd own our team :). I think you would've lost to them if you faced them this tournament, eventhough you beat them in the practise game.

Means nothing since you didn't face Canada/USA, sorry. It's just a stat that means nothing, but doesn't take anything away from Sweden's gold win, but you can't brag with the stat really. It's just luck how the seeds were set last year for this tourney so the outcome was 7-0.

Ohh you frustrated Finn....been so many cool Finns on this forum..and BOOM there pops up a frustrated one. Doesn't matter if we didn't face Canada or USA, And in my opinion the US squad this year wouldn't have beaten us, they showed no heart and that's why the lost so many games. We beat Russia 2 times and they beat both Canada and Czech. And ofc we beat the Finns with a CLOSE game.

PLUS (i know this doesn't count etc etc) we beat Canada in the pre game. As a bonus for our winning streak.

But yeah, a final against Canada..that's some hard stuff. But that didn't happen!

I'm so glad it wasn't Finland we won in the final. Would be so much whining from a lot of Finns :S That's why i am on this forum and not some Facebook hate page.
Myself, i like Finland's hockey team, had a great squad this year.

Last edited:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
I'm interesting to see how this whole crowd thing plays out next year. If Canada beats Russia and plays in the gold medal, will the Russian fans cheer or boo? I personally think they are no different than Canadian fans who booed, American fans who boo, etc.
European fans don't boo. It's considered normal in North America, in Europe it's considered to be a classless act, therefore all the people are up in arms abut that. It's just a cultural thing. You won't hear ''boo'' in European arenas, just watch World Championships... I doubt European hockey fans even know how to boo, if they are dissatisfied they might chant something offensive like ''fu** you referee'' or whistle (WC in Latvia 2006, game vs Canada for example), I haven't heard anyone boo in KHL or European hockey in general. And most certainly it's directed to the whole team in general or referees, not at some specific players on ice...

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
The only one booed was Kuznestov, and he fully deserved it... His cocky attitude combined with celebrations (I have no problem with them) led to the booing.

Honestly, I could care less if Russian fans booed Canadian players. It's not even Russian fans complaining that much. Bitter US fans calling it "classless". LOL. Too bitter.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Short of committing illegal acts, when someone purchases a ticket to a sporting event they are allowed to behave in whatever manner they want. The crowd was fantastic, they showed continued support for all of the underdog teams throughout the tournament, even encouraging the over-matched Danish team in their match against Canada and heavily supporting the Latvian squad that got blown out against the Americans. They managed to put 14,000+ people in the stands for games that did not involve the host country and took in the participating nations, providing them with an unmatched atmoshphere that certainly would not be prevalent in Europe. The kids on Team Sweden are going to remember that insane reaction to Zibanejad's goal for the rest of their lives and the overwhelming level of support and encouragement that they received in the gold medal game. It was a sea of support for Sweden all the way.

Step up and be hosts? There is not another city outside of this country that could have been as gracious and inviting hosts as Calgary and Edmonton were in this tournament. They represented Canada and hockey well to the world. That is not even debatable.

Canadian kids are taught about the values of respecting your opponent from the time that they first strap on a pair of skates. I remember countless lectures while growing up and playing hockey about the importance of not showboating, not running up the score, and being a gracious winner as well as a gracious loser. Kuznetsov displayed a distinct lack of sportsmanship in the last two tournaments towards teams that Russia beat. So why should the crowd be condemned for voicing its displeasure towards his behaviour? Did you hear the crowd booing any other Russian players? I certainly did not.

Now, I don't know what the cultural climate of sports is like in Russia, but any Canadian player would have been raked over the coals by his coaching staff and criticised by fans and media personnel had they made gloating remarks following a victory against an opponent. Kuznetsov is a nineteen year-old man, not a child, and he needs to take responsibility for his actions. You excusing his behaviour and choosing to focus on the RESPONSE rather than the initial actions that provoked it is patently ridiculous.

The tournament was hosted in Calgary, not Montreal or Quebec City, unless I am mistaken?

I love how Canadians euphemize spewing their hatred for Russians and Americans by talking about "supporting the underdogs." Sweden was the underdog last night??? Sweden was by far the most dominant team in the tournament. Sweden beat Canada in the pre-tournament games, then beat Russia in the round-robin portion of the tournament. So why would Sweden suddenly emerge as "underdog" in the Medal round to a team that they had already beaten? If they were honest, Canadians would admit that it was the normal hatred toward Russia, compounded by bitterness and sour grapes over having been relegated to the Bronze Medal game.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
It's nice to see a half-finnish guy seals the victory of WJC. Congratulations Sweden, you deserved the gold after 31 years of waiting.

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada
I love how Canadians euphemize spewing their hatred for Russians and Americans by talking about "supporting the underdogs." Sweden was the underdog last night??? Sweden was by far the most dominant team in the tournament. Sweden beat Canada in the pre-tournament games, then beat Russia in the round-robin portion of the tournament. So why would Sweden suddenly emerge as "underdog" in the Medal round to a team that they had already beaten? If they were honest, Canadians would admit that it was the normal hatred toward Russia, compounded by bitterness and sour grapes over having been relegated to the Bronze Medal game.

Ok I'll admit I hate Russia when it comes to hockey the same way I hate the Sens what's so wrong with that? I'll never take a loss to them the same way as other teams it's us against them has bean since 1972 and it always will be it's called a rivalry deal with it. Besides these are young men old enough to join their countries armed forces they can take it.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
So what exactly did Kuznetsov do to get the Canadian crowd so angry? Scored three goals? How dare him!

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region

1. I love how Russians try to turn everything into a conspiracy theory against their team. Canada and Russia have a historic rivalry, so obviously the crowd is going to be supportive of Sweden, who had an incredibly likeable roster, and did not taunt Canada when they beat them in a pre-tournament match like the Russians have done the past two years. Learn to win with grace.

2. Never once did I claim that Sweden was the underdogs. I said that Canadians have an affinity for supporting teams that are underdogs and then referenced their support of the Danish kids (especially in the wake of the faux press conference scandal) and their vocal support of Latvia in a game against the United States in which they were thrashed. Learn to read properly.

3. I would be willing to wager that most people on here would rather win bronze than silver. The latter is a much more fulfilling feeling and I personally feel significantly happier with this year's result than the past two tournaments.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
You might have aswell answered my question instead of posting this.

First he said, "there will be blood on ice"... Okay? :laugh:

And then he mocked the Canadian fans by saying something like, "Where were they in the third period last year...".. and said something about silence or what not.

If a 19 year old can say these things to the media, his feeling shouldn't be hurt if the crowd boos him which they did only once post-game.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006

And then he mocked the Canadian fans by saying something like, "Where were they in the third period last year...".. and said something about silence or what not.

If a 19 year old can say these things to the media, his feeling shouldn't be hurt if the crowd boos him which they did only once post-game.

Also, when he got the player of the game in Canada game, he put his hands by his ears and urging the crowd to do something. What did he expect? A loud cheer from the crowd... Let's be honest: He wanted the boos and he got them.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Kuznetsov were disrespectful to Canada, classless act tbh.

But he actually hugged the Swedish players after the loss, that's on the other hand class act :P

BTW, wish every tourney was hosted in Canada. Awesome atmosphere....In other countries it would be ***** compared to Canada :(

Canadians keep talking about how shockingly disrespectful Kuznetsov was, but after watching the game from end to end, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about? Are you talking about celebrations after scoring goals? Most of these kids are much more conscious of European football etiquette than they are of what the proper behavior is in Canadian hockey. In football (soccer), all goal scorers have their own personalized form of celebration dance after scoring. The swim move that Kuznetsov uses is one he probably learned from watching his soccer hero. If that is what got the Canadian fans all goosed up, that is pretty pathetic.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu

Ok thanks, I hadn't read those comments before.

The boo's were certainly deserved but to be honest I was expecting something worse...

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
Canadians keep talking about how shockingly disrespectful Kuznetsov was, but after watching the game from end to end, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about? Are you talking about celebrations after scoring goals? Most of these kids are much more conscious of European football etiquette than they are of what the proper behavior is in Canadian hockey. In football (soccer), all goal scorers have their own personalized form of celebration dance after scoring. The swim move that Kuznetsov uses is one he probably learned from watching his soccer hero. If that is what got the Canadian fans all goosed up, that is pretty pathetic.

The only reason Kuznetsov is being talked about is that some people called the crowd "classless" for booing him, and I mentioned those things to show why the did it.

He can do whatever he wants... Probably not the best thing to aggravate the crowd in Canada, but he has confidence... (sometimes too much).

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Also, when he got the player of the game in Canada game, he put his hands by his ears and urging the crowd to do something. What did he expect? A loud cheer from the crowd... Let's be honest: He wanted the boos and he got them.

That's a quite common celebration when you score an away goal in soccer. Maybe he got if from there?

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
That's a quite common celebration when you score an away goal in soccer. Maybe he got if from there?

Perhaps, but he had to know that the crowd was going to boo if he did that.

Honestly, I bet Kuznetsov doesn't even care how the crowd reacted. People on HF are just too sensitive.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

The list of new grievances just keeps piling up! The next thing is that he will have been observed executing a litter of puppies that bore a birth mark the shape of a maple leaf.
I am now willing to admit that Kuznetsov should have been shot by the provincial firing squad before he left Alberta.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
One thing I wanted to see though. I wanted Sweden to face at least 1 North-American team this tournament which didn't happen. Does anyone know how the groups look like for next year's tournament?

Sweden excel when playing North American teams standing up very well physically and these are my favorit games except from Stanley Cup.

Canada wins most of our meetings but that's another story, it's close games.

Great open, offensive, physical hockey comparing to defensive counter attack hockey which we saw from Finland and Russia.

I would have prefered facing Canada. It would probably have been close too but this was our tournament from pre-matches to finish.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
1. I love how Russians try to turn everything into a conspiracy theory against their team. Canada and Russia have a historic rivalry, so obviously the crowd is going to be supportive of Sweden, who had an incredibly likeable roster, and did not taunt Canada when they beat them in a pre-tournament match like the Russians have done the past two years. Learn to win with grace.

2. Never once did I claim that Sweden was the underdogs. I said that Canadians have an affinity for supporting teams that are underdogs and then referenced their support of the Danish kids (especially in the wake of the faux press conference scandal) and their vocal support of Latvia in a game against the United States in which they were thrashed. Learn to read properly.

3. I would be willing to wager that most people on here would rather win bronze than silver. The latter is a much more fulfilling feeling and I personally feel significantly happier with this year's result than the past two tournaments.

Obviously, any team would rather finish third than second. Congratulations, and enjoy the fulfillment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad