GDT: Gold Medal Game • Jan. 5 • Sweden 1, Russia 0 (OT) • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Fri.jpg

btw anyone knows if rask, rensfeldt, rakell and mattsson will be at kungsträdgården or are they going back to their canadian teams right away?

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Cmon Calgary no need to boo Kunetzov, the kid is already sad enough. Jeez I feel bad for the guy.

CLASS AND CLASSLESS

CLASS - A Swedish team that was clearly the best in the tournament, that played with great intensity and passion, but never chippy or trash-talking; never disrespectful of the other team.

CLASSLESS - The 14 thousand Canadians at the Saddledome who booed Yevgeny Kuznetsov when he was presented a trophy for being one of Russia's three best in the tournament. Kuznetsov, who is still just a 19-year old kid, was booed by the infantile Canadian enthusiasts because he spoiled Canada's chances to end up among the top 2 in the tournament. The Canadian fans vented their hatred of everything that is Russian and American throughout the entire tournament, even though the targets were 17- and 18-year old kids. Canada is searching the depths of low class, and appears to be close to finding bottom.

Thepuckdropshere

Mar 24, 2007
www.ronmycholuk.com
I'm interesting to see how this whole crowd thing plays out next year. If Canada beats Russia and plays in the gold medal, will the Russian fans cheer or boo? I personally think they are no different than Canadian fans who booed, American fans who boo, etc.

Fans will get caught up in the moment and will let their rival team have it.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Kuznetsov was disrespectful before, during and after Russia's win over Canada. That's why he was booed. Canadian players are routinely jeered in Europe. I hope you're just as outraged then.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Fri.jpg

btw anyone knows if rask, rensfeldt, rakell and mattsson will be at kungsträdgården or are they going back to their canadian teams right away?

They're not allowed to go back to Sweden, Rensfeldt saying he was going straight away to his team. They're pretty gutted about it, but also understands that there's not much to do about it.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
To think fans are not allowed to boo the player they do not like is as ridiculous as thinking players are not allowed to celebrate as much as they want.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Pretty even with Sweden lacking two top 10 drafted NHL players Landeskog and Larsson.

Talking only about this tournament Sweden is an extremely worthy winner without any doubts.

Well if I were a bitter Canadian fan I'd probably answer that if you had a B team then Canada's was a C or a D. Anyway Cherry will say it again this year : we are the best and will always be the best! Haaaa

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
CLASS AND CLASSLESS

CLASS - A Swedish team that was clearly the best in the tournament, that played with great intensity and passion, but never chippy or trash-talking; never disrespectful of the other team.

CLASSLESS - The 14 thousand Canadians at the Saddledome who booed Yevgeny Kuznetsov when he was presented a trophy for being one of Russia's three best in the tournament. Kuznetsov, who is still just a 19-year old kid, was booed by the infantile Canadian enthusiasts because he spoiled Canada's chances to end up among the top 2 in the tournament. The Canadian fans vented their hatred of everything that is Russian and American throughout the entire tournament, even though the targets were 17- and 18-year old kids. Canada is searching the depths of low class, and appears to be close to finding bottom.

Cry more.

Those fans paid for a ticket and are allowed to react how they want. He was showboating against the home team. What do you expect?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Kuznetsov was disrespectful before, during and after Russia's win over Canada. That's why he was booed. Canadian players are routinely jeered in Europe. I hope you're just as outraged then.

He was boo'ed because he made Canada his woman..........2 years in a row.:laugh:

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada
Cry more.

Those fans paid for a ticket and are allowed to react how they want. He was showboating against the home team. What do you expect?

Correct, and if you want to see some rabid fans just wait until we play over there, they are just as bad if not worse than we are.

SensFan26

Oct 27, 2009
Sturgeon County, AB
CLASS AND CLASSLESS

Let's just see what happens next year, I bet the same happens in Russia.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
CLASS AND CLASSLESS

I'm going to assume that English isn't your first language judging by some of the bizarre word use in the above post, but perhaps rather than blaming the crowd for showing its displeasure you should take an inward look at your own team and the reasons for why the Saddledome crowd chose to voice its displeasure towards the Russians (and Kuznetsov in particular). The Canadian faithful did not react to any other squad like this during the tournament -- not even the American team endured that level of vitriol -- and it is not an entirely one-sided explanation either. Had the Russian squad acted with more sportsmanship, class, and respect for their opponents rather than gloating after barely escaping from a collapse of epic historic proportions the crowd likely would not have been so vehemently against them. Unless of course you think that this reaction was entirely of the crowd's own creation...

Of course, I and many others choose to focus on complimenting Calgary's incredible support for Team Sweden and the level of encouragement they got during the final match. That type of fan support and intensity is something that the Swedish players on this year's champions will remember with pride for the rest of their lives. It is virtually unprecedented for a non-Canadian team to get that type of backing in any international tournament but the Canadian fanbase was more than happy to support the Tre Kroner at a level almost equivalent to the Canadians in the final and for that they should be commended. Some people were worried about all of the potential empty seats or tickets that would be sold with a Canadian-less gold medal match, but the people of Calgary stepped up to the plate and clearly provided some of the most passionate, positive, and vocal support in favour of a quality hockey team in tournament history. They should be commended, not derided.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i think russian fans would have boo'ed their team with the effort they gave last night outside of their goalie

funny how everyone jumps on the canadian fans when the canadian fans is partly why this was special. You think the atmosphere would be anywhere close in a euro country? hell now.

It is just an amazing feeling

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Pretty good game, it was nice to see Russia lose to take some swagger out of their stride after beating Canada. Honestly, Russia was never really in the game. Compared to the Swede's they played terrible. Sweden was very effective at controlling the pace and the puck.

Jooked

Feb 9, 2010
Cry more.

Paying money doesn't entitle you to be an idiot. I honestly hate this "Trump Card" response as all it does is wreak of entitlement. The crowd was classless. You're the hosts of the tournament, step up and be hosts. Unfortunately that means sucking it up even when things don't go your way.

Saying stuff like Russian's deserved it for being immature and showing poor sportsmanship makes me wonder if anyone even realizes what tournament they were watching. They're all U20 Kids out there. How do you expect maturity from a bunch of kids, when 15000+ adults can't even do it themselves? But hey the kid pissed us off he deserves it right?!

Pathetic showing on the world stage by the cultural capital of Canada.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
Kuznetsov were disrespectful to Canada, classless act tbh.

But he actually hugged the Swedish players after the loss, that's on the other hand class act :P

BTW, wish every tourney was hosted in Canada. Awesome atmosphere....In other countries it would be ***** compared to Canada :(

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We beat Canada a couple of days before the tournament started. We also lost one of our best players in that game, Aberg.

I know but Canada wasn't the same team they were when the tourney started. That game woke up Canada and you could compare the difference with 3-1 Canada Finland in practise game to 8-1 Canada Finland 1 week later in the opening game. In between those 2 games Canada played Swe and you did us a how you say it disservice and woke them up so they'd own our team :). I think you would've lost to them if you faced them this tournament, eventhough you beat them in the practise game.

Sweden went 7-0 in this tournament, totally deserved! How many teams have gone undefeated?

Means nothing since you didn't face Canada/USA, sorry. It's just a stat that means nothing, but doesn't take anything away from Sweden's gold win, but you can't brag with the stat really. It's just luck how the seeds were set last year for this tourney so the outcome was 7-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad