WC: GOLD: Finland vs Canada

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Do you mean when best-on-best is involved?

I agree that with third tier teams and whatnot, Finland can ice a good team that can beat Canada. If we are talking best on best, I hope you're not serious.

PS to thos complaining about the refs. Officiating was terrible but that's no excuse. We know that is going to happen in international hockey and need to be able to play around and through it.
Well, we have beaten you once (turin 2006) And that's not even with our todays roster, which is miles better than that.

We also gave you guys run for it in 2004 world cup.. 2016 we had one of the worst coaches, who have coached the team.

So yes, Finland can absolutly win, that doesnt mean that Canada's depth is blowing us out of the water..

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
It was a total brainfart by Mertaranta. During the game I liked his commentary but that one line just completely ruined his good commentating for the entire game, so it's same to me if it's Mika Saukkonen in his place commentating. All things considered those two are about same level now. Mertaranta used to be better hands down, but I guess that he got old and washed up.
And i kept shouting to him; Stop f*kcking talking about Lammikko, when it was Heiskanen who were crosschecked at 2-3 goal..

Reactions: Mestaruus

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
can you please post the roster of Canada and the roster of Finland at said tournaments.
That will be all I need to see.

It is honestly like saying Montreal is better than Florida because they won 10-2 in game 82. lol
You can check yourself, 2019 Canada had like D team and Finland had C team

Team Canada had,
- Murray (G)
- Theodore (D)
- Chabot (D)
- Nurse (D)
- Stone(F)
- Couturier(F)
- Mantha(F)
- Reinhart(F)
- Dupois(F)
- Strome(F)

Last edited:

HecticHockey

May 29, 2022
Finland
I still remember 2007 when I was a kid and Canada beat us in the final, Rick Nash was too much to handle. I remember how I thought that we will never be able to beat Canada. It was the worst day for me in that year. Now we have leveled up, which is super awesome. Or it's some kind of Jalonen magic. Kids born in the 2000's don't know the real struggle we used to have back then. Even though Canada is still really tough opponent and not sure if we had somewhat controversial victory this time. Couple tears were shed in 2019 and yesterday as well.

Reactions: Keke and Mestaruus

Nosferatu

Nov 10, 2016
can you please post the roster of Canada and the roster of Finland at said tournaments.

It is honestly like saying Montreal is better than Florida because they won 10-2 in game 82. lol
Well Crosby is getting older and nobody else has not proven much internationally.

And when Montreal beat Toronto year ago they were a better team but Tor clearly had the better players

Reactions: Snowsii

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
To win all that during World War 1, while the war was raging on :thumbu:.

True about 2011 WHC gold.

If you mention silver as an achievement, then you might as well list Jalonen's Olympic 2010 best on best bronze.

Also you forgot to mention 2016 U20 gold in Finland's home tournament. I see that one almost the same as a WHC gold. Finland had a very stacked roster and the play style was very different compared to what we are used to seeing from Finnish teams. More offensive.

So Jalonen has won 5 big tournaments/golds.
WWI was from 1914-1918.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
For Canadians the first half of the game was better than for Finland and the last few minutes of the 3rd period were very clutch by Canada, but Finland out shot Canada by 16-4 in the 3rd period + OT.

For this tournament and in the Olympics Jukka Jalonen's team just wins the 3rd periods every time. He's a pretty good coach for getting the team to put everything out there at the end of the games. All credit to the entire coaching staff of Jalonen as well. Sometimes they don't get enough credit.

Shots 31-22 overall for Finland.

Shots 16-4 3rd period + OT alone for Finland.

The game was still very very close and I thought that Canada would win the game on 3on3 OT, because in the NHL the highest level of 3on3 game is played and Canadian team is full of NHL players. Canada was worse than expected on the OT before the penalty happened and Finland was surprisingly good. Only Barzal was close in ending the game. I'll also say that Finland was putting the right guys on the ice on OT, more credit to Finland's coaching on that.

Canada sort of stole the gold in 2021 tournament, because Finland was clearly the better team back then on even strength, but when the 3on3 OT started, I knew that Canada should have the advantage and they did. They capitalized on the mistake of the Finnish Liiga player Kontiola's face off mistake with a very smart move that lead to that odd man rush that ended the game.

Finland didn't steal anything this year from Canada, but it's quite OK that the score is now 1-1 in terms of 3on3 OT wins. Finland could even deserve this score to be 2-0 in the favor of Finland if this stupid 3on3 OT in a WHC final game rule didn't exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE JAM

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Canada was better in 1st period but Finland got better as the game went on. Canada was most lethal on PP and 6v5. They seemed tired in overtime though and weren't able to generate anything in OT aside from Barzal.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I should have said, "I think Canada B beats Finland A", thought it was implied, they haven't played, so obviously it is in my mind.

In my mind Finland's A team beats Canada's A team despite of all odds against Finland. It's David vs Goliath but Finland would pull off the upset. HFboards would crash after that.

In reality Finland still needs to beat Canada in a final best on best. That is true. Before that Finland isn't the best ice hockey country in the world in my opinion, despite of Finland holding #1 IIHF ranking at the moment.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Breaking news: Canada now thinking about sending a warship to Finnish port.

"Canada declines Finland's NATO membership application."

Barzal grew, but i would pick Manninen before Barzal because he produced the whole tournament and then won the gold for us.

Best forward: Manninen followed by Barzal and Armia.

Granny+Cervenka to that list as well. Granlund was a complete monster since the moment he stepped from the plane on Finland's soil.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Finland challenged the goal but was not penalized.

Someone in this thread said that only offside challenges will result in a penalty if refs determine that it's not an offside. Does anyone know if that's true? J.Jalonen didn't challenge for offside, so based on the previously mentioned by me, refs did it right I guess.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If some non Finnish people here are wondering why Marko Anttila is called Mörkö by everyone from Finland. It's from this cartoon "Tales from Moominvalley". Anttila is big and scary just like Mörkö:

Apparently inside team Finland of 2022, the players in the team are calling 172 cm tall Sakari Manninen (OT goal scorer hero) "Pikku Myy", which is pretty funny. It's this character:

Here's "Pikku Myy" scoring the GWG:

Reactions: Czechboy

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
to the finnish poster talking about heiskanen getting crossed check into the cross bar. here you go lol

Way to go trying to kill the defender that will most likely be remembered after his career ends as the best Finnish defender of all time, that is if a player like that doesn't kill him first.

No penalty for that, nothing. Jevgeni Malkin's cross check on Erik Haula's face comes to mind, which fractured Haula's jaw. No penalty. It was another WHC final.

Reactions: THE JAM

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'll give you the dive but at the same time Björninen got a vasectomy á la Quebec.
Should have continued 3v3 and Finland would have scored anyways because why not.

No mini Björninen's (with staches) in the horizon unfortunately. It's a shame because that would've been good for the future of team Finland.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Way to go trying to kill the defender that will most likely be remembered after his career ends as the best Finnish defender of all time, that is if a player like that doesn't kill him first.

No penalty for that, nothing. Jevgeni Malkin's cross check on Erik Haula's face comes to mind, which fractured Haula's jaw. No penalty. It was another WHC final.
Will never forget that 2014 final. Especially that barbaric hit to Haula's face and Malkin got away with it as if he had merely looked at Haula the wrong way lol .... what a joke.....

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Purity of hocke.y

When your rivals and opponents accuse you for playing defensive "unhockey", only because your offense was enough good to make one more goal to win a game.

Get the grip, Hockey World!
In the NHL, if a team is better defensively, you accuse them of playing "the trap", even though at least 90% of the time that's not what they are doing.

If you watch hockey just for the scoring (you should be watching basketball instead), then good defence is boring.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Will never forget that 2014 final. Especially that barbaric hit to Haula's face and Malkin got away with it as if he had merely looked at Haula the wrong way lol .... what a joke.....

Did you notice how Malkin did the same exact move to another player a month ago? It's Malkin's favorite move:

I wonder how many times has Malkin done this to players. That sure doesn't feel good on his targets.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The bad call on the high stick may not have affected the final outcome, beyond the score.

If Finland hadn't scored either goal, then it's likely 1-1 late in the third, Canada doesn't pull the goalie, and Finns win 2-1 in OT.

If Finland had scored a goal on the initial penalty, then it's likely 2-1 late in the third, Canada pulls the goalie a bit later, scores to tie it, and Finns win 3-2 in OT.

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
The bad call on the high stick may not have affected the final outcome, beyond the score.

If Finland hadn't scored either goal, then it's likely 1-1 late in the third, Canada doesn't pull the goalie, and Finns win 2-1 in OT.

If Finland had scored a goal on the initial penalty, then it's likely 2-1 late in the third, Canada pulls the goalie a bit later, scores to tie it, and Finns win 3-2 in OT.
It is never like that. Each game is a live thing depending at current score and events. There would have been totally different shifts, moments, plays. We never know what would have happened. :sarcasm:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Defense wins championships, defense first....

These are the main hockey pharses people used to live and grew up with. Seems like todays people just want to watch regullar season highlights and McDavid shows, but in the end Tampa or some defensively better hockey team collects the victory, its same in the NHL, defense wins championships. People who complain about it are noobs.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm still certain Ohtamaa saved us the gold. His save with his leg.. 2-0 Canada and it could've been so much more diffucult to come back.

Ohtamaa 99% saved a sure goal there, but I wouldn't say that he saved the game. We don't know how the game would've gone after the situation would change like that. "Butterfly effect" is a good way to say it as someone said in this thread. One action leads to another. I don't see it as straight forward or black and white as you implied.

One thing is for sure though, if Armia produced a goal, Ohtamaa's action was worth the same.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It is never like that. Each game is a live thing depending at current score and events. There would have been totally different shifts, moments, plays. We never know what would have happened. :sarcasm:
That's why I said 'may not'.

I wouldn't be foolish enough to say 'always' or 'never'.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I feel like Team Finland is like a smaller population Canada. They play proud, hard, skillfully, and they love hockey. What’s not to celebrate there?

Many Finns such as me think similar about Canada that there is a special bond there.

The countries are quite similar in many ways. Not only ice hockey. Long winters and similar nature minus the mountains for Finland, because of similar position in North-South axis. Both live next to some kind of big brother country. For Canada that is USA and for Finland that is Sweden. Both share long land borders with super power countries, for Canada it's USA and for Finland it's Russia. I don't think that Finland has that much in common with Russians but living next to super power countries often shape up their neighbours to be certain way. Well I could go on for longer but that's too off topic so I'll leave it there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad