WC: GOLD: Finland vs Canada

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Finns as a hockey nation should still hold their heads up and be proud, they didn’t do anything wrong, and were clearly a top team in this tournament, and every tournament.

Just sucks that the game went that way.
Many people also tend to forget that we've been through quite shady reffing in final, year was 2014. And that was brutal.

There's no denying that high stick penalty was a big mistake. There's 1 clear mistake then, thing is that we don't know what would've happened without that penalty, game was pretty even before that.

Also i understand Canadians who feel robbed, it's natural feeling. But is it just a mistake under a big pressure or some IIHF conspiracy against Canada, i guess it's up to you to decide.

WC Final is a wrong place for ref mistakes though, and i hope he's not reffing these tournaments ever again.

Reactions: therealdeal

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Many people also tend to forget that we've been through quite shady reffing in final, year was 2014. And that was brutal.

There's no denying that high stick penalty was a big mistake. There's 1 clear mistake then, thing is that we don't know what would've happened without that penalty, game was pretty even before that.

Also i understand Canadians who feel robbed, it's natural feeling. But is it just a mistake under a big pressure or some IIHF conspiracy against Canada, i guess it's up to you to decide.

WC Final is a wrong place for ref mistakes though, and i hope he's not reffing these tournaments ever again.

I think probably every country has been robbed by bad reffing at some point. I know I’ve watched enough Team Canada games to see us get some (maybe even a lot) of preferential calls.

Happens to everyone, and I’m super biased as a Canadian, I can’t even pretend not to be, but that’s what makes the games fun!

Anyhow, cheers to the Finns, honestly a team that doesn’t hurt to lose to, because I feel like Team Finland is like a smaller population Canada. They play proud, hard, skillfully, and they love hockey. What’s not to celebrate there?

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I thought referring in NHL was bad..... but when you look at international referring! Boy was the final - gold medal game - brutal in term of referring!

Congrats to Finland for their win!

Jarvinen

Mar 27, 2022
Just wanted to add I apologize for my string of comments on page 68 or something like that. I was upset about how it all went and acted childish.

Congrats to the Finns, it was an awesome tournament, again, and the fans were unreal and the games were all exciting and fun.

See y’all again next year.

We all can behave badly when we get emotional. I haven't seen what you've written but that's very big of you.

Jesus. I cried last night when we won. I have been a complete dick during games towards opponents. It is so hard to hold back your feelings when you are passionate about something.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I think probably every country has been robbed by bad reffing at some point. I know I’ve watched enough Team Canada games to see us get some (maybe even a lot) of preferential calls.

Happens to everyone, and I’m super biased as a Canadian, I can’t even pretend not to be, but that’s what makes the games fun!

Anyhow, cheers to the Finns, honestly a team that doesn’t hurt to lose to, because I feel like Team Finland is like a smaller population Canada. They play proud, hard, skillfully, and they love hockey. What’s not to celebrate there?
Exactly, Canada's obviously much bigger country but just like Finland, they are considere as little brother of a bigger neighbor :D

Things get heated when stakes are high, it's understandable. Both sides have very passionate fans, after all hockey is the biggest sport of both countries.

Let's hope for best on best tournament ASAP, i want to see these 2 huge fanbases to meet each other with full force and numbers haha

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Bad reffing is part of the IIHF tournaments. There are some good refs too. Also, it's always home-cooked. It's usually more subtle, but still noticeable. I believe it's because most of these semi-pro refs can't handle the pressure in front of the home crowds. To me that seems a more likely reason, than some conspiracy or a mandate to home-cook.

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
1653929294543.png

This tells it all...

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I didn't watch the game, just the highlights. But that was a brutal dive/sell job in OT haha. Surprised they both didn't go to the box.

Congrats to the Finns

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Any team of Finland, Canada and Sweden could have won. All NATO teams. There's NO hockey in Turkey. Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS! Hyvvä!

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I thought referring in NHL was bad..... but when you look at international referring! Boy was the final - gold medal game - brutal in term of referring!

Congrats to Finland for their win!

Stanley cup playoffs are BO7 so the refs kind of get a pass: “if it’s game 7 you could have won sooner”. They also get a pass by not calling penalties “let them play”.

Not so many years ago we saw a 5 minute major (vegas v sharks) with 4 goals, which led to the whole major penalties being reviewable..

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Perhaps if NHL all Canadians care about, you should try to have one team that could win the Stanley Cup since 1993. Oilers could have a chance this year.
Canadians win the cup every year. Only the media and casual fans nationalize the teams based here. These tournaments always select for rabid nationalists, but especially when the tournament is an afterthought. You're only going to get Canadians posting about it who actually deeply care that their country wins, which for this tournament, for Canada, is only the absolute most excited "patriot" types.

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Not sure what happened with the non-challenge, I could guess that they reviewed whether the goal actually landed back correctly. It is allowed for the goal to be fully off pegs as long as it gets back (it is also possible to score while it is partially off pegs, but not while it’s fully off unless the puck was directed at net while it was still on).

Checking that the goal “was scored legally” never requires a challenge (goal is in correct spot, not scored on high stick, player was on ice legally etc.)

paragon

May 5, 2010
According to the tv broadcaster 3.03 million Finns tuned in last night to watch the finals. That's almost 55% of the total population.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Pierre-Luc Dubois is such a classy guy. I gained so much more respect for him after watching this interview of him right after the game. He came to play without having an NHL contract as well, just because he said it's an honor to represent Canada.

At 3h 40mins 10secs on this video is the PLD interview (need to avoid geoblock if watching from Finland).

Before that time mark is Manninen's interview and after PLD's interview is Jukka Jalonen's interview.

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
Any team of Finland, Canada and Sweden could have won. All NATO teams. There's NO hockey in Turkey. Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS! Hyvvä!
Actually there is. National team this year played in Division III Group A. Games were in Luxembourg and Turkey ended II. They won Luxembourg 7:2, Chinese Taipei 6:2, Turkmenistan 6:5 and lost to United Arab Emirates 13:4. Due to Russian war in Ukraine they moved still up and will play and even host Division II Group B. In current World ranking they are on 38th place among 55 countries. :laugh:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure that someone has linked the groups for next year already, but I'll link them just in case. I really like these groups from Finland's perspective. Sweden and Czech are teams I never want Finland to play in the QF stage because sometimes they are killers at that stage, especially with K.Jalonen having 1 full year as the Czech NT coach (getting to know the players in the leagues) and Sweden will have a new coach as well. Finland gets a guaranteed game vs 2 Finnish head coaches with Germany and Czech. That makes those games like some sort of rivalries and more interesting.

I like the fact that there's CAN & USA rivalry match guaranteed in the other group. From Slovakia's perspective it's very possible that Finland could be their QF opponent again. Maybe Slovakians would've hoped to have Finland in the same group for once, because Slovakia has a problem beating Finland. Slovakia was good in the QF game and I hope that their coach Ramsay continues with the team next year as well.

A:
FIN
SWE
CZE
GER
DEN
FRA
AUT
HUN

B:
CAN
USA