WC: GOLD: Finland vs Canada

ilvins

Apr 6, 2003
Latvia
Visit site
No it was not. There have been far worse. Refs made terrible mistakes in benefit of Canada too... If they would have been as biased as You tell, they would have called off the 2nd goal of Canada and there would never ever been this OT discussion, where Chabot was stupid enough to use his stick the way he did. Finland is 2022 Champion and they deserve it!
As a neutral spectator I wanna see final game decided by players on the ice , not by terrible officiating. Unfortunately this was not possible this year. So I have my doubts about this finnish squad. But of course suomi have gold medals, champions' cup and rating points, so enjoy and good luck to you next year. Luckily this year Christmas comes early with U-20 championship in august, so its only a couple of months until the next IIHF tournament.

Reactions: Zippgunn

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
As a neutral spectator I wanna see final game decided by players on the ice , not by terrible officiating. Unfortunately this was not possible this year. So I have my doubts about this finnish squad. But of course suomi have gold medals, champions' cup and rating points, so enjoy and good luck to you next year. Luckily this year Christmas comes early with U-20 championship in august, so its only a couple of months until the next IIHF tournament.
True. This is a great year. Olympics. 3 months Worlds. 3 months. U20.

So let's enjoy and have fun. Peace!

Reactions: Fastpace

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don't want to take anything away from Finland who are a magnificent hockey country and team and were well deserving of their Gold medal but you can't say that bad officiating didn't change this game dramatically in their favour. Canadian fans are used to this at the WHC which is, yes, why almost nobody in North America even bothers to watch this (I had to watch the GMG on channel 160 or something). I'm glad that Finland has beaten the jinx of their hosting of this event and I hope everybody there woke up the next day with crushing headaches. Their fans deserve it. But hockey fans in general deserve much much better officiating in tournaments of this importance. Congrats Finland, we'll see you next year no doubt.

Reactions: Lartsaman

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Well someone does take it seriously.. over 2k post in this thread ;)

Prominently Euro's, with the NHL playoffs in full effect it's not something that draws much in the way of viewership in NA, which I should have specified I was talking about. I literally just seen the phantom call today, hence the delayed chime in.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Canada is not the rest of the world.
And Finland is ? The problem is not with Finland or Canada, it rest on the IHF level of officiating for this kind of hockey level. This goes back a long ways, Finland got robbed of an almost sure tittle against Sweden in early nighties on a none penalty that was called against Jari Kurri. It's been like this over the years. Europe and IHF hockey is very entertaining no doubt and it is really good hockey , many players goes to NHL from therel, despite all that Europe and IHF hockey is not at the same level of caliber as NHL. It would be best if NHL and IHF had some kind of exchange program so to bring every level of officiating up to par at all levels of the game IMHO Cheers!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Refereeing can be an issue, but it takes absolutely nothing away from Finlands victory. I respect Claude Julien and his sayings after the Final. This whining days after the game is sick. :eek3:
It very much does take something away from that victory. Who knows if Finland would have scored that first goal if it wasn't 5 on 3, and if they would have scored again on that same penalty if that call wasn't made and the Canadian goalie may not have hurt himself. That was the exact moment where the momentum shifted to Finland side. Who knows what might have happened if that call wasn't made, maube Finland might came back and won this thing anyway or Canada might have hold them off or scored enough to win. That's the problem now, there is a champion, congratulation ! but then again are they really?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Canada was getting some calls in their favor.. that crosscheck should have been called (right before 3-2 equaliser)
I do agree, it was not a big push from behind with the stick across the back. Normally they don't call them very often, but the fact it placed the Finn defender in a dangerous position onto the goal post, I would have call that a penalty for sure. I do agree!

Reactions: Snowsii

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
There is a lot of "what if"'s but the tournament is over and we won. Nothing can be done now, except get better refs for the next tournament finals and tournaments in general.

Knowing what the win meant for the Finnish people.. I'm just very happy about the wln.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
In the NHL, if a team is better defensively, you accuse them of playing "the trap", even though at least 90% of the time that's not what they are doing.

If you watch hockey just for the scoring (you should be watching basketball instead), then good defence is boring.
What ever.

What said remains the truth, totally regardless of do you watch the game or not.

WeAre

Sep 20, 2014
This is interesting.

Canadians shouts every where that they played with their Z-team.
Z means victory in Russia, so does this mean that Russia played in Tampere after all?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And Finland is ? The problem is not with Finland or Canada, it rest on the IHF level of officiating for this kind of hockey level. This goes back a long ways, Finland got robbed of an almost sure tittle against Sweden in early nighties on a none penalty that was called against Jari Kurri. It's been like this over the years. Europe and IHF hockey is very entertaining no doubt and it is really good hockey , many players goes to NHL from therel, despite all that Europe and IHF hockey is not at the same level of caliber as NHL. It would be best if NHL and IHF had some kind of exchange program so to bring every level of officiating up to par at all levels of the game IMHO Cheers!
Are you sure you're not talking about the 1994 final against Canada?

Bottom of the screen, Brind'Amour trips Kurri before Robitaille's 1-1 goal.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I remember 2011 (i'm too young to remember -95) when we won and it was main news for like a week or something. Everyone was talking about it.

2 days after this win you couldn't even notice that we won, i guess people have got used to these wins and next time we going to have some super crazy celebration, we need to win best on best tournament.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I remember 2011 (i'm too young to remember -95) when we won and it was main news for like a week or something. Everyone was talking about it.

2 days after this win you couldn't even notice that we won, i guess people have got used to these wins and next time we going to have some super crazy celebration, we need to win best on best tournament.
I remember the marketplace party with like 100k people there

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I remember back in the days when Canada "won" the gold against Sweden in wc 2003 final OT with a goal that was not even goal. The whole puck was not over the line.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Yeah winning is special and like Jukka Jalonen said it is like comparing the wins is like comparing ones children. I never forget 1995. It was first and special. It was something I had been hoping, praying, not believing and use ALL other strong emotions. And then 2019 happened. EVERYBODY was before the games down looking at the roster and then it happened. Sweden, Russia, Canada. Mörkö and & Co tear down all. But also Olympics 2022. It was kind of closing the circle. After failing year after year (1986 specially) at World Championships the first ever medal came in Olympics with silver in 1988. There was no Final back those days. And USSR was Gold winner that seemed to be unreachable and silver had kind of lightning from the clear sky. And now home tournament at Tampere 2022. I have been at those since 1997. And felt the dissapointment like all my Finnish brothers. Actually first time ever beside that emotion I remember Basel & Zürich 1998 Worlds and double final lost with 1 goal (remember sitting in the arena at Zürich jumping when Ville Peltonen scored and then when it was taken away for reason I still do not understand)... Finland was with Janne Laukkanen from NHL and Sweden was dream team of theirs, in a way 2019 but wit different ending. I have been lucky to see those winnings always in real time as several U20 and U18 sucsesses. I have brought my kid to Finland to play hockey and he has found his dream in the game. I have met lots of Finnish heroes from Jari Kurri and Teemu Selänne to Jukka Jalonen and Jere Lehtinen personally. I respect them all as they have made me happy deep down in my heart beyond words. I treasure every single win of Finland. And despite often as Estonian had double joy when often they play our national anthem when Finns win. But yesterday watching Vesala & Torikka performing "Finlandia" I understood the tears in Jalonen and Manninen eyes. Emotional. Hockey is all about emotions. It has effected my life. In 2019 it was just watching the game at home Järvenpää then. I just asked my son and daughter that what if we jump in car and drive to Kosice to watch it live. We did it and despite being back home by Finals I saw the Champions live there, as I saw this year in Tampere. Emotional indeed. And Respect. Respect to every single of the wins I have been talking in here.
Yep.
Northern Estonia! Winland!
Estonians are proud of you!

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
I remember back in the days when Canada "won" the gold against Sweden in wc 2003 final OT with a goal that was not even goal. The whole puck was not over the line.
Sweden has had so much luck and refereeing on their side in the previous decades that bringing this 2003 thing up here is just ridiculous :)

btw that puck was undoubtedly at least very close to being 100% over the line..,

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1654285489381.jpeg

Reactions: THE JAM

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
This is interesting.

Canadians shouts every where that they played with their Z-team.
Z means victory in Russia, so does this mean that Russia played in Tampere after all?
How can Z mean victory, as their alfabet doesnt have letter z?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad