WC: GOLD: Finland vs Canada

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Purity of hocke.y

When your rivals and opponents accuse you for playing defensive "unhockey", only because your offense was enough good to make one more goal to win a game.

Get the grip, Hockey World!

Reactions: FinPanda

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It’s not just a scheme for why they are successful. With Russia gone from the international community, the Finns are kind of becoming our biggest rival in international hockey.

They certainly love the sport the same way we do.

While Switzerland will likely become Finland in terms of being a steady top-4 finisher in these tournaments. I was expecting them to start looking like it this year already but the time wasn't right yet. USA was surprisingly good as well and that resulted in Switzerland having to leave the tournament early.

Switzerland replacing Russia as one of the 4 EHT (Euro Hockey Tour) nations will help them a lot in the years to come in becoming a steadier top-4 WHC team by two ways. They can test and find the right players that are good in the international games during the EHT tournaments to use these players in the WHC tournaments. Second reason is to get used to the coaching styles or advantages that Finland, Sweden and Czech might have over Switzerland. It's good for ice hockey to get Switzerland up there with the top teams, especially now with Russia being gone for many years.

Reactions: morkkis35

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I still don't understand why the IIHF must insist on anything but 5v5 OT for a championship game.

So true. Olli Jokinen in Finnish studio said yesterday that 3on3 is not ice hockey. I didn't like it in 2021 WHC final when Canada won gold and I didn't like it now when Finland won gold.

Reactions: Svedu

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I really can't overstate how much I hate that they have 3v3 in Gold Medal game OT's now. Awful.

Everyone hates it. I don't understand why it exists. It should be 20 mins of 5on5 or 4on4 OT and if that doesn't bring the result, after that I'm fine with anything, even 3on3. Usually the first OT would bring in the result anyways.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know if it was already mentioned here but Finnish commentator Mertaranta gave the championship to Finnland with over 3 minutes left in the game. Epic Jinx.

It was a total brainfart by Mertaranta. During the game I liked his commentary but that one line just completely ruined his good commentating for the entire game, so it's same to me if it's Mika Saukkonen in his place commentating. All things considered those two are about same level now. Mertaranta used to be better hands down, but I guess that he got old and washed up.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Do Euro leagues use 3 on 3 or do the NHLers in the tournament have a pretty big advantage over the others?

European leagues use 3on3 but the highest level of 3on3 is played where the best players of the world play = NHL. So basically the team with more NHL players have an advantage then. Those NHL players are usually fast and good skaters anyways which is needed on the OT. I was quite sure during the game that Canada would win that 3on3 OT, but I'm glad that I was wrong on that this time.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
Well the last 4 international tournaments tells us otherwise.

can you please post the roster of Canada and the roster of Finland at said tournaments.
That will be all I need to see.

It is honestly like saying Montreal is better than Florida because they won 10-2 in game 82. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Svedu

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The Canadian players battled hard to tie that up and overcome crazy adversity to do so. Including having to play a 3rd string goalie.

What happened to the second goalie? I thought that Canada had 2 NHL goalies and 1 from an European league.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yup, in the NHL that's 2 for tripping and 2 for embellishment. But not in the IIHF. Worst officiated game I have seen in years...
What player would dive as the last man back on 3 v 3? Especially since Björninen has no reputation of being a diver. Chabot admitted to putting his stick between Björninen's legs and that he was asking for it by doing so.

Reactions: Ippenator and Svedu

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know, IIHF referees - we have grievously suffered from them too and no-one has basically cared. It's part of the game, especially a part of IIHF tournaments. A good win and a great battle!

Roman Gofman was a legend (crooked) referee. Thankfully we don't have to see him anymore since Russians are banned from international ice hockey tournaments.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Wow Congratulations to Finland!!!!
I think every Finn agrees with me saying that Jukka Jalonen is the best coach they ever had so far. Let's check what he achieved with the NT:

1919 WHC: Gold
1921 WHC: Silver
1922 Olympics AND WHC: Gold

And I'm not sure but was J. Jalonen not coach 2011 when they won Gold too wasn't he?

To win all that during World War 1, while the war was raging on :thumbu:.

True about 2011 WHC gold.

If you mention silver as an achievement, then you might as well list Jalonen's Olympic 2010 best on best bronze.

Also you forgot to mention 2016 U20 gold in Finland's home tournament. I see that one almost the same as a WHC gold. Finland had a very stacked roster and the play style was very different compared to what we are used to seeing from Finnish teams. More offensive.

So Jalonen has won 5 big tournaments/golds.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Don’t get me wrong. Canada clearly has better inviduals but hockey is a team game and Finland has proven to be the best multiple times.
Do you mean when best-on-best is involved?

I agree that with third tier teams and whatnot, Finland can ice a good team that can beat Canada. If we are talking best on best, I hope you're not serious.

PS to thos complaining about the refs. Officiating was terrible but that's no excuse. We know that is going to happen in international hockey and need to be able to play around and through it.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Where the f*** was that Ottawa (lol) dude who was talking shit about finns? If I ever see that kid in real life, i would beat the shit out of that pencil neck. He was probably Chabot fan :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad