WC: GOLD: Finland vs Canada

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Who want to f*** with you?

It’s a long-standing hockey rivalry attitude Canada has with Russia/Soviet Union and the approach taken in hockey towards them.

Watch this, Finns and Swedes even come up in it at a certain point. Audio cuts out for a few seconds I think around the 45 minute mark. One of the best films about hockey ever made.

Seems more relevant than ever these days.

Reactions: HecticHockey

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
It’s funny that everyone writes off Canada after they have one bad game in the group stage but in the medal round, Canada just ends up turning it on and wins
- define 'everyone'

Smart people know that: 16 teams participate, and after 61 preliminary games we see FIN-CAN or CAN-FIN Gold Medal Game

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
According to the biggest Finnish betting site Veikkaus Finland is the slight favorite.

Personally I think it's about dead even. It should go to OT again between these teams in a WHC final.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
According to the biggest Finnish betting site Veikkaus Finland is the slight favorite.

Personally I think it's about dead even. It should go to OT again between these teams in a WHC final.
I believe Canada is 65-35 favourite. I happily pick these 2+ odds for Canadian win or Finland gold. Double my money or party time.

Reactions: Jarvinen

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
It’s a long-standing hockey rivalry attitude Canada has with Russia/Soviet Union and the approach taken in hockey towards them.

Watch this, Finns and Swedes even come up in it at a certain point. Audio cuts out for a few seconds I think around the 45 minute mark. One of the best films about hockey ever made.

Seems more relevant than ever these days.

That is so interesting that during the Cold war, Canada had such pride about the hockey but for me as a Finn it is difficult to relate. We share a 1000km border with Russia. Anyhow it is interesting to watch these kind of documents.

Reactions: FinPanda and snipes

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I believe Canada is 65-35 favourite. I happily pick these 2+ odds for Canadian win or Finland gold. Double my money or party time.

Many people don't understand how good Slovakia and USA were. Finland beat some teams that could've beat Canada if Canada didn't have their best day. Like in the SWE-CAN game I feel like Slovakia and USA both would've beat Canada. Canada should say thanks to Dahlin for starting their climb back into the game, but small margins are part of ice hockey and Canada deserves to be in the final though. Today we could see that Canada deserves their place in the final of this tournament.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
To me it's 50-50, a total toss up, whoever plays the best all around team game and takes advantage of their p.p chances and gets the goaltending edge wins on that particular day.

Too bad it's not a best out of seven series, there would be a lot of really great games and a see saw affair.

I suspect a close down to the wire game.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Many people don't understand how good Slovakia and USA were. Finland beat some teams that could've beat Canada if Canada didn't have their best day. Like in the SWE-CAN game I feel like Slovakia and USA both would've beat Canada. Canada should say thanks to Dahlin for starting their climb back into the game, but small margins are part of ice hockey and Canada deserves to be in the final though. Today we could see that Canada deserves their place in the final of this tournament.
Its not about I don't think we didn't beat good teams; its about seeing how strong Canada was.. even though Czech D was terrible and mostly that cost the game for them.

I may be overrating Canada based on the Czech game but we'll see.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
It tells alot that about 95% of these comments are from us finns. It kind of annoys me that this tournament isn't best vs best. I know that we would be strong in that scenario as well with our present talent, coach and game system. Any way may the best team win tomorrow. I hope and think it should be a close one.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It tells alot that about 95% of these comments are from us finns. It kind of annoys me that this tournament isn't best vs best. I know that we would be strong in that scenario as well with our present talent, coach and game system. Any way may the best team win tomorrow. I hope and think it should be a close one.
We are the most passionate country about our hockey team, no matter what tournament it is and who plays for the team. If you count best-on-best tournaments and WJC, then maybe Canada is quite passionate, but they don't go as crazy as Finns. WHC success means a lot, I can't wait to see all the videos and pictures from tori if we win.

Watched this old video. I still love it. That party with 100k people was something else.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
We are the most passionate country about our hockey team, no matter what tournament it is and who plays for the team. If you count best-on-best tournaments and WJC, then maybe Canada is quite passionate, but they don't go as crazy as Finns. WHC success means a lot, I can't wait to see all the videos and pictures from tori if we win.

Watched this old video. I still love it. That party with 100k people was something else.

turn up the volume and listen. :D härenstam + mikael renberg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

give us your best shot you handsome sauna loving bastards

Cinderblox

Hug it out everyone!
Jan 4, 2016
Lahti
Good thing you don't have to be worried about being bored then because Canada doesn't always win. I would say the Finns have been doing quite a bit of winning at this thing lately too eh?

If anything the fans of the other teams must be getting bored that it seems only Finland and Canada of late, sorry but you guys are in the same boat as us, the gold here isn't the exclusive Canada club.

You guys keep this up you will soon be fast on Canadas tail as MDT for the other teams fans, Most despised team, in fact you already probably are, I've even noticed the change among fans already on this site the last couple of years concerning Finland, people are getting aggravated by them more, cheering against them even against Canada sometimes.. Wow, times sure are changing but that comes with being successful of course.

As for wanting a team to win because of it's fans caring more, I doubt you would feel that way about the WJC with the roles reversed, lol.

Best of luck in the GMG.
if Canada wins, it will be their 28th gold in this tourney. They will surpass Soviet Union/russia for most golds.

another way to indirecty piss off the Russians eh:laugh:
So you're saying losing this isn't *that* bad :laugh:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canada’s goalie will need to have a “Dominator” performance for them to have any chance. Finns look very very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad