Goaltending, defense

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If CDH is out for a long time and Isles can't promote anyone from AHL, I would like to see if they can talk to LA about a deal with Martinez coming back. He is a top blocker with some skills also with experience. As long as you are not moving out a 1st nor anyone on the top 2 lines.

Isles also need to either have a talk with their goalies or make a bold move to improve their goaltending situation. Of course they can always wait to see if JT and Bailey willing to resing before they make any deals.

However a long losing streak can be dangerous especially when they are doing that at home. From I have been observing both goalies have been going down a bit too early and giving up a lot of rooms at the top and the opposing teams seem to notice that. They have all been one timing high from the right and left slot positions. Need to take those types of shots away. By the way Isles need to practice more using the glasses and boards to get the pucks out of their own zone but not too high to put pucks out of play. These are the fast plays.

When Isles search for a new goalie, need to find one who can handles the puck and know how to make some passes to help the D out. You need at least one of the two goalies know how to do that. With the speed of the game that can come in handy when trying to get the play go the other way fast and will compliment well with players like Barzal and JHS.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
If CDH is out for a long time and Isles can't promote anyone from AHL, I would like to see if they can talk to LA about a deal with Martinez coming back. He is a top blocker with some skills also with experience. As long as you are not moving out a 1st nor anyone on the top 2 lines.

Isles also need to either have a talk with their goalies or make a bold move to improve their goaltending situation. Of course they can always wait to see if JT and Bailey willing to resing before they make any deals.

However a long losing streak can be dangerous especially when they are doing that at home. From I have been observing both goalies have been going down a bit too early and giving up a lot of rooms at the top and the opposing teams seem to notice that. They have all been one timing high from the right and left slot positions. Need to take those types of shots away. By the way Isles need to practice more using the glasses and boards to get the pucks out of their own zone but not too high to put pucks out of play. These are the fast plays.

When Isles search for a new goalie, need to find one who can handles the puck and know how to make some passes to help the D out. You need at least one of the two goalies know how to do that. With the speed of the game that can come in handy when trying to get the play go the other way fast and will compliment well with players like Barzal and JHS.

But why does a cup contending team with Doughty begging for no rebuild, deal Martinez?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I posted this in the GDT as well, but what Brathwaite and Richardson are doing with the G and D is not working....like AT ALL! Somethings gotta give. Either roster turnover or the coaches gotta adjust what they're teaching these dudes.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Acquire either OEL or Ristolainen and either Raanta or Lehner no matter what it takes, thank you.

People don’t want to give up a lot for a goalie.

Lerhner is not a popular option around here but he’s The only one we’ll get without giving up significant value. He had a great year last year statistically

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I want Raanta or Dell. Ideally I'd like to see Raanta and OEL.

Raanta
OEL

Greiss
JHS
1st rd (2018)
2nd rd (2018)
3rd rd (2019)

I'd do it tomorrow.

Sounds like alot but I see it as
Greiss for Raanta and a 3rd
OEL for JHS and a 1st and 2nd.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

I was just thinking about how long it's been since we had a true #1 goalie. We seem to be the Jets in terms of QB's. The Jets can't ever get a franchise QB and we can never get a franchise Goalie. I mean think about it realistically. When have we had a goalie for 5 seasons in the last 30 years? It's a freaking carousel.

/rant.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
One of the things that drove me nuts last night while watching Greiss was how much time he spent on his knees with the puck in the zone and behind the net with no lurking imminent danger. I've got to believe that cuts down on a goalie's mobility to adjust to a shot. The Nyquist goal was just not getting his angle right and he was low for that one too.

I was yelling at the TV at times to 'get off your knees' and I can't ever remember doing that before for any goalie.

What also came through was how slow his reaction time was, almost like he is hiding a slight concussion.

One thing both our goalies are really bad at is making decisions with the puck and teams certainly are shooting it in on offense in a way to force our goalies to make a pass. I just don't see a coordinated communication system between the goalies and defensemen to help move the puck in an efficient way. It's very rare that you see any goalie pass give the defender a head start on a breakout on this team.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Raanta
OEL

Greiss
JHS
1st rd (2018)
2nd rd (2018)
3rd rd (2019)

I'd do it tomorrow.

That package doesn't get you OEL alone

Needs to be more like:

Ho-Sang, Nelson, 2 1sts, Soderstrom and Aho plus Halak. And I doubt Arizona says yes either.

Right now Greiss wouldn't fetch a 7th unless we added a 2nd.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I've said this before, I don't care about the teams GAA...
They are playing an offensive game, giving up goals is going to happen...

What's annoying is that both goalies give up at least 1 soft goal a game...

I was thinking last night, how many games have the Isles played this year where there wasn't a weak goal??? 4-5 tops...

It's unacceptable, especially when you consider these guys are not, and never were, a long term solution...

And baring a miracle, next year will be worse...

Reactions: SI

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think a lot of our problems stem from the inability to get the puck out of our zone. CDH being out makes that problem worse, and none of the guys on the roster are part of the solution. Is our GM hibernating for the Winter?

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
A player that I would be willing to try out as a possible #1 is Kincaid... probably sentimental because he is a Long Island kid, but I wonder if he would be any good... but Isles aren't getting a goalie.

Isles need to get CDH a 2nd pairing partner in the mold of Stralman or Vlasic, but obviously not as good, so that Pelech moves to bottom pairing with Pulock.

Nice kid, LI kid, hes absolutely terrible though. That is not a trade we should make

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
From the last Halak game and a few of Greiss’ I’m now in opinion that:

(1) It’s mostly goaltending, not defense.
(2) Virtually ANY other goalie will be an upgrade.

So, I would consider Gudlevskis, Gibson, Lehner, Lindback, whoever else, even Niemi. Unless Halak can go on a streak (Greiss is a lost cause) ... but right now I don’t believe he can.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Raanta
OEL

Greiss
JHS
1st rd (2018)
2nd rd (2018)
3rd rd (2019)

I'd do it tomorrow.

Unfortunately Arizona wouldn’t touch that with a 50 foot pole

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
The problem with making Halalk the number 1 in the hopes that he gets hot is that his next injury is just around the corner. They need to package Ho-Sang and get somebody.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Honestly, as long as we're not taking on a longterm big money deal, I'd be fine making the hypothetical horrible "trade for the sake of making a trade" at goalie.

This isn't working. It's not like someone like Craig Anderson is playing much better than our guys, but I'd rather take the chance on a change of scenery working out.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
The problem with making Halalk the number 1 in the hopes that he gets hot is that his next injury is just around the corner. They need to package Ho-Sang and get somebody.
I think it’s already too late to wait for Halak getting hot.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Bottom line is neither goalie can put 3 games together in a row, by the 3rd game they get destroyed, problem is... how do you improve this garbage

Bridgeport goalies are at .890
Most available goalies are similar to our tandem (Ryan Miller, Talbot, Lehner etc...)
Backup goalies on other teams are very risky, Aaron Dell and Carter Hutton may be Greiss like when used a lot

Only option out there that is probably only slightly better than our combo is Rantaa, but Arizona will fleece us just for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad