Goaltending, defense

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Clearly we need better goaltending. Even average goaltending would suffice. I guess we’d have to find a decent starting goalie from a selling team. Not sure who that would be. But, I’d take Jimmy Howard over our current goalies. We could probably get him for not too much and he’d be better than what we have now.

As for defense, we are very run-and-gun, which is entertaining. But we need a shut down guy. Someone who could stop the defensive bleeding.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I honestly doubt anyone that is available is going to make much of a difference on the blueline. It's more a systematic issue and a consequence of playing such a wide open offensive game.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I honestly doubt anyone that is available is going to make much of a difference on the blueline. It's more a systematic issue and a consequence of playing such a wide open offensive game.
Maybe. But maybe we could find a better goalie from a non-playoff team. Our goalies are playing horribly. All we need is averageness in goal. We’re not getting that with Greiss or Halak. Someone who we could watch and be 90% sure won’t give up 4+ goals.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If Boston falls out, big Z would be an ideal addition. Can dominate on the PK

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
Think we could convince Vegas to trade us Subban since MAF is almost back and they have dansk? Kid finally got a chance and looks solid and at 24 isn't just a quick fix, but could be part of the solution for after Halak if Soderstrom/sorokin isn't ready.

Reactions: SI90

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
A player that I would be willing to try out as a possible #1 is Kincaid... probably sentimental because he is a Long Island kid, but I wonder if he would be any good... but Isles aren't getting a goalie.

Isles need to get CDH a 2nd pairing partner in the mold of Stralman or Vlasic, but obviously not as good, so that Pelech moves to bottom pairing with Pulock.

Reactions: IODCPiper

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Think we could convince Vegas to trade us Subban since MAF is almost back and they have dansk? Kid finally got a chance and looks solid and at 24 isn't just a quick fix, but could be part of the solution for after Halak if Soderstrom/sorokin isn't ready.

Subban’s save % is really good but it’s such a small sample size it could be a risk.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
At this point, it may be worth it to sell off some of the farm for a younger D. I know Leddy is basically our #1 but we need another mobile defender who can eat minutes and look good doing so.

We keep Barzal, don't touch our top 6 and make everything else available, Ho-Sang + CdH / Nelson + 1st + 2nd has got to be worth something.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Clearly we need better goaltending. Even average goaltending would suffice. I guess we’d have to find a decent starting goalie from a selling team. Not sure who that would be. But, I’d take Jimmy Howard over our current goalies. We could probably get him for not too much and he’d be better than what we have now.

As for defense, we are very run-and-gun, which is entertaining. But we need a shut down guy. Someone who could stop the defensive bleeding.
Snow needs to do his best for a oel, hanifin, etc. They dont need another 4-6 dman. If they have 2 solid pairings with a skilled puck mover/passer on a good defense dman that will change the makeup of this team.
2018 1st(isles), 2019 1st, 2018 2nd, pulock, nelson, 66/72
For
Hanifin, oel or someone of that skill level

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think a Scandella/Hjalmarsson type acquisition would help a lot.

An OEL acquisition would cost way more but would be great too. If there was ever a time to make a big trade for player of OEL caliber it’s now.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Since no one seems to be playing defence on our team, how about we address that, THEN evaluate how we change goaltending.

Doesn't matter who we have in net...with all these defensive breakdowns and player turnovers, any goalie would have garbage numbers.

What about if we added another top 4 AND added Pomminville? Poms can handle 3rd OR 4th line duties as good as any other player in that position and he'll not cost a whole lot. Very Garthy move.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Cc is not better than anyone we have. We need to make a real improvement at the expense of our prospects. I don’t think cc is the answer.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We should have gotten Vatanen when we had the chance.

Most of the D we are looking at are from east coast teams. This is going to have to be overpayment every time, unless we can pry Tyson Barrie from the Avs OR Vlasic from the Sharks.

Vegas is another possibility....They have enough Dmen to last a few lifetimes...I'd LOVE to do a package around Nate Schmidt and Nick Suzuki. To me, Suzuki is a scoring version of RNH.

Nelson, Ho-Sang, Beauvellier?

Nelson, Pulock, 1st?

Beauvellier, Pulock, DeHaan, 2nd?

Nelson, Prince, Quine, 2 1sts, MDC?

I have no idea what these guys would want...probably top 6 or 9's and prospects or picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad