Goaltending, defense

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Good enough goalies change hands all the time. I think the team would be better off finding ways to make themselves better now than making moves for a b goalie for next year, especially considering the logistical issues of doing it now. It's an issue that will need to be addressed, but "disaster" is a bit of hyperbole.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
I posted this in the Trade forum and got negative responses from Isles fans - but I would welcome a trade that sends Halak, a 2nd, and a 3rd to Vancouver for Anders Nilsson. I know he stunk when he was here, but that was eons ago. Since then, he put up a .936 season as a starter in the K, and a .920+ last season and this season playing in Buffalo and Vancouver, of all places. He's signed for one more year at 2.5m, and has shown that he can play very well in a platoon role.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I posted this in the Trade forum and got negative responses from Isles fans - but I would welcome a trade that sends Halak, a 2nd, and a 3rd to Vancouver for Anders Nilsson. I know he stunk when he was here, but that was eons ago. Since then, he put up a .936 season as a starter in the K, and a .920+ last season and this season playing in Buffalo and Vancouver, of all places. He's signed for one more year at 2.5m, and has shown that he can play very well in a platoon role.
Not really an upgrade.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I've watched more Canucks, Oilers, and Sabres over the last 3 years than I'd care to admit. :laugh: We'll agree to disagree.
The goalie that I really wanted which unfortunately we didn't get was Corey Schneider. Now that's what I would call a significant upgrade. I'd rather try to get a solid defenseman and hope either Greiss or Halak get hot. I don't see the isles getting a top 10 goalie via trade now.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
We are so spoiled
Just look back 5 -6 years ago.

Our #1 D man was Andrew Macdonald. Played over 60 games and lead the D with 4-23-27.

AMAC 60 games
Hamonic 60 games
Hillen 60 games
Martinek 60 games
Chef 50 games
Jurcina 45 games
Eaton 35
Motteau 20
Katic 10
Wishart 10
Let's just stop there

Yukk !!!!

Add to that the 6 headed goalie monster of
DP - lead the way with 26 games played and an. 880 save per
Roloson
Poulin
Lawson
Montoya
Koskinen

JT was so good at making average players better that he cost us a chance at 2 or 3 or 4
Top 3 draft picks . He made us just bad enough to be good enough to finish just in
the strome zone every year. Bad JT, bad JT .

LGI

Reactions: IODCPiper

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't want to look back and I certainly don't want to be in the Strome Zone ever again!

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
there are no goalies available who are an obvious upgrade over what the isles currently have. one of them will put it together.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Think we could convince Vegas to trade us Subban since MAF is almost back and they have dansk? Kid finally got a chance and looks solid and at 24 isn't just a quick fix, but could be part of the solution for after Halak if Soderstrom/sorokin isn't ready.

I think Vegas actually has a better defense than we do. Don't know how Subban would do being forced to save odd man rush after odd man rush with our Forrest Gump squad.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Now we have a taste of what Cizekas and Kulemin mean to this team. We are missing two of our best defensive forwards especially short handed and one is not coming back. That is the area that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: PWJunior and dano16

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I think a Scandella/Hjalmarsson type acquisition would help a lot.

An OEL acquisition would cost way more but would be great too. If there was ever a time to make a big trade for player of OEL caliber it’s now.
If we appear to be a Cup contender by trade deadline and not just a bubble playoff team,
Snow has to approach it as win now and get the pieces that provide the best chance to win.
In the past the Blackhawks and even the Pens were unafraid to move potential future pieces to win Cups. They did (move and win). So now they are kind of struggling a bit, but they won the Cup (multiple times) which no one can take away from them.
We have some glaring needs that we have to resolve. Goaltending, 2 way 1st pair defenseman, and 3rd line center. We may not be able to fill them all but at least one has to be done. Snow can't hang on to all his prized assets and be successful. All in now.

Last edited:
Reactions: IODCPiper

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I’d trade for any goalie with a pulse at this point

Eddie Lack is your guy.

The Isles are one of my favorite teams outside of Calgary, and it's great to see them doing well. I think they have the offense to make some noise in the playoffs, but goaltending obviously isn't ideal as of now. However, like someone mentioned there isn't anyone available that's clearly better than Greiss/Halak. I think you can make an argument for Howard though.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
I think any goalie you bring in here probably sees a decline in their performance due to the sad state of team defence.

Both Halak and Greiss have been in the league a long time and both have stats well below their career averages this year. I don't think it's entirely on them.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think any goalie you bring in here probably sees a decline in their performance due to the sad state of team defence.

Both Halak and Greiss have been in the league a long time and both have stats well below their career averages this year. I don't think it's entirely on them.

The goal 30 seconds into the Tampa game was a perfect example of how the defense is killing our goalies.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
there are no goalies available who are an obvious upgrade over what the isles currently have. one of them will put it together.

Greiss has been great or terrible. Halak has been merely average or terrible. If Greiss doesn't get it together were screwed because Halak won't carry the team - not to mention he's overdue for his usual injury.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Greiss has been great or terrible. Halak has been merely average or terrible. If Greiss doesn't get it together were screwed because Halak won't carry the team - not to mention he's overdue for his usual injury.
This. Greiss has had higher highs and lower lows whereas Halak has been consistently bad, but not to the level of Greiss.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Eddie Lack is your guy.

The Isles are one of my favorite teams outside of Calgary, and it's great to see them doing well. I think they have the offense to make some noise in the playoffs, but goaltending obviously isn't ideal as of now. However, like someone mentioned there isn't anyone available that's clearly better than Greiss/Halak. I think you can make an argument for Howard though.

Lack is probably the worst goaltender in the NHL. I assume you were kidding

france62

Jun 15, 2010
According to Staples

Coaches held a 45-minute penalty kill meeting, now working on PK on ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad