Goaltending, defense

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Snow as a former goalie must know how important that role is for a pro team (both in hockey and soccer).
In order to retain the large amount of info(menus for McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King) needed to be Team President and GM, Garth Snow has forgotten everything about being a goalie, or even what the heck they actually do.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Now that Halak has seemingly gotten into a nice groove and, unfortunately, the injury bug has bitten a few of our better players, I'm wondering how long it will take for Halak to suffer his annual injury and we're stuck with Greiss....

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
The Isles fans need to get a translator and write a super nice fan letter in Russian to Sorokin to entice him coming over after his contract expires there. Hopefully he will come by in 2 years and save this team. Of course need to find way to get him read the letter without going through his Russian team.
He’s the starter for one of the best and richest teams in the KHL with multiple years on his contract. Why do you think he will jump to the NHL for ELC money to play second fiddle to Greiss of all people?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
It could be worse on D . We could have iced this group ( almost )

Strait - Lube
Aness - Hickey
Eaton - Aho

Does anyones butt hurt watching our current group ?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Someone put together a compendium of Islanders' turnovers. Enjoy!

Jeez, and only 1 turnover by Ho-Sang:sarcasm:

That was ugly. Did anyone count how many turnovers were in that video. I started to but lost track as I was cringing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Jeez, and only 1 turnover by Ho-Sang:sarcasm:

That was ugly. Did anyone count how many turnovers were in that video. I started to but lost track as I was cringing.

I thought about tracking each per player, but I think the goalies had the most...and they certainly had more than Ho-Sang!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I thought about tracking each per player, but I think the goalies had the most...and they certainly had more than Ho-Sang!
That it was the goalies doesn’t surprise me. One of Halak’s biggest weaknesses is stickhandling the puck behind the net.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Interesting note on de Haan and dear god can we add a LD to replace him:

It’s interesting for sure. It’s kind of changed my perception of de Haan. I always considered him a 4D (super strong 5D). Now, after seeing the team numbers, he may be closer to a 3D (or super strong 4D).

I’m curious if @Konk (I think that’s who wasn’t a big fan of him) still has the same opinion or not. Not calling them out, just genuinely curious.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It’s interesting for sure. It’s kind of changed my perception of de Haan. I always considered him a 4D (super strong 5D). Now, after seeing the team numbers, he may be closer to a 3D (or super strong 4D).

I’m curious if @Konk (I think that’s who wasn’t a big fan of him) still has the same opinion or not. Not calling them out, just genuinely curious.

I pray something can be worked out where de Haan comes back for a season to build up his value for a long term contract either with us or with someone else. His contributions were so underrated, we clearly miss him.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

I do still think the same.

What isn't taken into account in those numbers are the various other defensive players that have gone down in the same time frame: Boychuk, Cizikas, Ladd, Bailey... basically a who's who of our best d zone players.

It's not just de Haan. If all of those other players were healthy during that time frame, then those numbers would mean something in reference to de Haan specifically, but they have all missed time simultaneously.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I do still think the same.

What isn't taken into account in those numbers are the various other defensive players that have gone down in the same time frame: Boychuk, Cizikas, Ladd, Bailey... basically a who's who of our best d zone players.

It's not just de Haan. If all of those other players were healthy during that time frame, then those numbers would mean something in reference to de Haan specifically, but they have all missed time simultaneously.

Thanks for chiming in, I always like to see your views!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

He's obviously nothing special (except for twitter, where he's fantastic), but he's a steady, no-frills player and it's infuriating that we haven't gotten a replacement for him. I'm at the point where I'm tempted by Phaneuf if they retain a decent amount.

I guess the plan is to hope Toews steps right in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad