Goaltending, defense

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Right, because I totally started the disagreement when Boychuk was hurt as well. Have you ever played hockey before? The reason why I ask is because if we go back to some of these goals Halak has allowed throughout this season (well before he turned it around), you should understand some of these goals have nothing to do with the coaching or the defense.

The bolded is why I question your reading comprehension skills. I have stated that the defense has not been great and that I am very happy with the way Halak has been playing.

Like you are telling me stuff that I agree with, the bolded is also something I absolutely agree with so I don't know why you are bringing it up as "I told you so" type of statement. I never ONCE made accusations on Halak/Greiss being bad when Boychuk went out.

And once again, if you think defense has anything to do with Halak letting in a shot five hole that has no business going in then it is quite obvious you do not know what you are talking about. I do not mean that in a negative way of course, because plenty of people here have never played sports before and have a general knowledge about hockey which is great.

Also, I challenge you to find a post in which I say that EVERYTHING has been goaltending with no blame whatsoever going to the defense for the entire course of this season. You are making things up at this point.

Wow, so you bolded and capitalized EVERYTHING. I challenge you to find the post where I used that line. Pretty much done at this point. When I have someone question my reading comprehension skills and say i'm making things up in the same breath they bold and capitalize something I didn't say, it's a lost cause. Continue to believe what you want, just leave me out of the debate and i'll leave you out as well. You've gone back and forth I don't even know what you really believe anymore.

And to answer your question, yes I did play hockey. I played long enough to know that goalies are going to let in bad goals from time, especially when they are overworked from porous defenses. Not quite sure what your point is, either I don't know anything about hockey because I think bad goals happen, or you don't know anything about hockey because you think bad goals shouldn't happen.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Wow, so you bolded and capitalized EVERYTHING. I challenge you to find the post where I used that line. Pretty much done at this point. When I have someone question my reading comprehension skills and say i'm making things up in the same breath they bold and capitalize something I didn't say, it's a lost cause. Continue to believe what you want, just leave me out of the debate and i'll leave you out as well. You've gone back and forth I don't even know what you really believe anymore.

And to answer your question, yes I did play hockey. I played long enough to know that goalies are going to let in bad goals from time, especially when they are overworked from porous defenses. Not quite sure what your point is, either I don't know anything about hockey because I think bad goals happen, or you don't know anything about hockey because you think bad goals shouldn't happen.

You stated "The initial disagreement is how you think coaching has nothing to do with bad (or good for that matter) goaltending and that our defense hasn't been bad, it's just been goaltending".

I bolded the portion where you say that challenged me to find a post where you used that line. Which of course is a complete lie. You can block me or whatever you want to do, I just don't need my viewpoints getting mixed up because somebody either a.) mixed my views up with somebody else or b.) just exaggerated to get their point across.

A bad goal is a bad goal by the way. If I allowed a shot from the blue line in unscreened my coach would not have told me "oh don't worry the defense was getting outworked". That makes less sense than anything I've read on this forum.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I agree. I was thinking more of Pulock, Peelech and Mayfield.

Confused if I am missing some joke here. Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield have nothing to do with Beauvillier being sent down because they play defense and he plays offense.

Just because the defense hasn't played well it does not magically mean Beauvillier has played well.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Confused if I am missing some joke here. Pulock, Pelech, and Mayfield have nothing to do with Beauvillier being sent down because they play defense and he plays offense.

Just because the defense hasn't played well it does not magically mean Beauvillier has played well.

no joke. This is a defense and goal-tending thread and I was just making a general observation that many posters here write so and so should be in the press box. I think being in the press box when you are struggling is not necessarily a bad thing. And that can be for any positional young player. Sorry for the confusion.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I honestly think the goaltending has been overall passable the last week and a half. In Colorado Halak got absolutely hung out to dry so I can't fault the G on that. This defense though, when they're in their own zone I just hear circus music in my head. It sucks that now that he goaltending is starting to MAAAAAYBE turn a corner and be NHL level, the D is ECHL level. I feel like having Roy, Brodeur and Hasek in net AT THE SAME TIME would still get lit up with this D

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
no joke. This is a defense and goal-tending thread and I was just making a general observation that many posters here write so and so should be in the press box. I think being in the press box when you are struggling is not necessarily a bad thing. And that can be for any positional young player. Sorry for the confusion.

Well of course they should not be playing the minutes they are. That being said they don't have anybody else.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I honestly think the goaltending has been overall passable the last week and a half. In Colorado Halak got absolutely hung out to dry so I can't fault the G on that. This defense though, when they're in their own zone I just hear circus music in my head. It sucks that now that he goaltending is starting to MAAAAAYBE turn a corner and be NHL level, the D is ECHL level. I feel like having Roy, Brodeur and Hasek in net AT THE SAME TIME would still get lit up with this D

This is a great post and is what some people have difficulty grasping. The goaltending has turned the corner as of late, just as the defense has gotten hurt and beat down. Good post!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You stated "The initial disagreement is how you think coaching has nothing to do with bad (or good for that matter) goaltending and that our defense hasn't been bad, it's just been goaltending".

I bolded the portion where you say that challenged me to find a post where you used that line. Which of course is a complete lie. You can block me or whatever you want to do, I just don't need my viewpoints getting mixed up because somebody either a.) mixed my views up with somebody else or b.) just exaggerated to get their point across.

A bad goal is a bad goal by the way. If I allowed a shot from the blue line in unscreened my coach would not have told me "oh don't worry the defense was getting outworked". That makes less sense than anything I've read on this forum.

Wow, so those are the bad goals you are talking about? Show me the highlight where Halak has let any of those in? I thought you were talking about shots from outside the crease that he gets pieces of or bad rebounds that get knocked in, not the obvious ones. Now I think you are being a bit dishonest in the debate. If all you are talking about are those, then Halak has probably let in 1 or 2 all season. So if your premise is Halak let's in too many bad goals, and those are ones you are talking about, do you really have a leg to stand on?

I don't block people for disagreeing with me, only those that add nothing to the conversation or who are downright disrespectful. I wholeheartedly disagree with you and don't think you have your thoughts in order or are any good at expressing them clearly, but I wouldn't block you for that. I'm sure the feeling is mutual on your end about my stance.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Wow, so those are the bad goals you are talking about? Show me the highlight where Halak has let any of those in? I thought you were talking about shots from outside the crease that he gets pieces of or bad rebounds that get knocked in, not the obvious ones. Now I think you are being a bit dishonest in the debate. If all you are talking about are those, then Halak has probably let in 1 or 2 all season. So if your premise is Halak let's in too many bad goals, and those are ones you are talking about, do you really have a leg to stand on?

I don't block people for disagreeing with me, only those that add nothing to the conversation or who are downright disrespectful. I wholeheartedly disagree with you and don't think you have your thoughts in order or are any good at expressing them clearly, but I wouldn't block you for that. I'm sure the feeling is mutual on your end about my stance.

The lengths you are going to exaggerate is insane now. I obviously meant that as a hyperbole to get my point across, which you should be able to notice. This conversation is going nowhere with the way you are acting. Goodbye.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Boychuk is practicing in full today. I really hope this guy is not rushing back and gets injured worse. I dont think most Isles fans even understand how important this guy is. I would really love to see someone who knows how to find these kinds of stats compile a record for the Isles over the last 2 seasons with Boychuk and without him in the lineup. I think it will be shocking.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Boychuk is practicing in full today. I really hope this guy is not rushing back and gets injured worse. I dont think most Isles fans even understand how important this guy is. I would really love to see someone who knows how to find these kinds of stats compile a record for the Isles over the last 2 seasons with Boychuk and without him in the lineup. I think it will be shocking.

Would you rather rush him back a few weeks early or just continue to lose? Rush him back and risk another injury at this point. If the doctors say he is good to go then he is good to go.

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Would you rather rush him back a few weeks early or just continue to lose? Rush him back and risk another injury at this point. If the doctors say he is good to go then he is good to go.

I agree here, he is a 30 something old guy, and we need him out there badly... the season is going to evaporate in a few days

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Boychuk coming back isn’t even going to do anything. The defense was still horrible with him here. This is a systemic/coaching issue more than anything. I refuse to believe that this whole team forgot how to play defense in the span of one year.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Boychuk coming back isn’t even going to do anything. The defense was still horrible with him here. This is a systemic/coaching issue more than anything. I refuse to believe that this whole team forgot how to play defense in the span of one year.
I agree there are systemic issues, but understanding basic defense, i.e., getting proper position on a man down low, or even simple backchecking, is not a systemic thing. Its engrained in a hockey player at a young age and I think the coaches were ok with crap positioning when we were scoring 5 goals every night. That wasn't sustainable, and neither is giving up 4 goals a night.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
This is a great post and is what some people have difficulty grasping. The goaltending has turned the corner as of late, just as the defense has gotten hurt and beat down. Good post!

Both the goaltending and D $uck. Does it really matter who $ucks worse at any given point in time?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Here you go:

GPWLOTLPT%
2017-18 w/ JB341912360.3%
2016-17 w/ JB6633221158.3%
2017-18 w/o JB614125.0%
2016-17 w/o JB1687153.1%
Total w/ JB10052341459.0%
Total w/o JB22911245.5%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Here you go:

GPWLOTLPT%
2017-18 w/ JB341912360.3%
2016-17 w/ JB6633221158.3%
2017-18 w/o JB614125.0%
2016-17 w/o JB1687153.1%
Total w/ JB10052341459.0%
Total w/o JB22911245.5%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Points are fine and all, but how is our CORSI with and without him?

:sarcasm:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I remember when the trio of Leddy-Boychuk-Hamonic were all in between the 14-15 season and the 15-16 season the record was great.

That was before Hamonic fell off though, or at least when he was still a big member of the D corp.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Watching the first half of the Rags game tonight and it is hard not to be jealous that the have had a guy like Lundqvist for what 15 years? And we have had...well, our goalie situation. The Rags have allowed 22 shots and its not even half way through the game yet and he has allowed 1 goal and made at least a half dozen eye popping saves.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Small sample size considering Hickey, Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, and Seidenberg have all rotated with each other throughout the year. And I was stating that specifically in relation to Leddy.

That doesn’t make any sense. Small sample size? If you are looking for a context for his statistics, Hickey either plays the easiest minutes or he doesn’t. The data says that he doesn’t, he is right in the middle.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The lengths you are going to exaggerate is insane now. I obviously meant that as a hyperbole to get my point across, which you should be able to notice. This conversation is going nowhere with the way you are acting. Goodbye.

So you used hyperbole to counter my point that defense can affect "bad goals". Why on earth are you unable to follow the stream of a debate. It's like each post stands on it's own with no continuity. Bye Felicia.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
That doesn’t make any sense. Small sample size? If you are looking for a context for his statistics, Hickey either plays the easiest minutes or he doesn’t. The data says that he doesn’t, he is right in the middle.
For the second time, I was talking about in relation to Leddy. And it is a small sample size when you consider that our bottom 3 D were rotating in and out of the lineup before the injuries. Hickey might get tougher assignments than Pulock or Mayfield, but I was never arguing that.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The Isles fans need to get a translator and write a super nice fan letter in Russian to Sorokin to entice him coming over after his contract expires there. Hopefully he will come by in 2 years and save this team. Of course need to find way to get him read the letter without going through his Russian team.

Well until then, Isles need to find someone on a short contract or try out Gibson next year. Snow as a former goalie must know how important that role is for a pro team (both in hockey and soccer).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad