Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Kakko wasn't on PP2 anyway. Trouba had already replaced him a while ago.

What they should really do is stop playing PP2 at all. I don't know why they've been using it more in the playoffs. Just look at Edmonton. All five of their PP1 guys have 47-49 mins at 5v4. The leader of PP2 is Perry with 7 minutes.
Exactly. It's not January. Every minute of every shift matters. Play your best guys.

Reactions: TwentyFour

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We’re gonna be ravaged by injuries because our 12th forward plays 5 minutes less than normal? Is that your point?
My point is that the Knicks are a terrible comparison because they notoriously burnt out their players.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Two of Carolina's goals in game 5 were scored against a mixed line because Rempe wasn't out there.

You're way more likely to blow coverage playing with random linemates.

There's also that.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Remember in the beginning of the season, we had a good 2nd unit. I think it was the kid line maybe? First unit was only getting about a minute and they would shoot everything and stopped being fancy.

Reactions: bhamill

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Remember in the beginning of the season, we had a good 2nd unit. I think it was the kid line maybe? First unit was only getting about a minute and they would shoot everything and stopped being fancy.
I always thought having 2 great units competing for time and coaches going with whoever is hot made a ton of sense. That said, given how hot the #1 unit was in round 2, hard to argue giving them all the time we get here on out.

Reactions: bhamill

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
You bring up something interesting. It was a legit 2nd unit. Chytil changes the complexion for sure, especially with Laf.

The thought of "what if" with how that team started is still alive and strong though.

Honestly, if that kid could just stay on the ice for the next 4 weeks...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Reading KK may sit and Rempe may be in. Not the change I would personally make but I can see why the coaches are needing more production out of guys that are not big hitters.

Reactions: mas0764

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I would pick maybe one other person other than Kakko to sit, but this isn't squishing my pickle. I love Kakko, but he's just not a factor right now.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I would pick maybe one other person other than Kakko to sit, but this isn't squishing my pickle. I love Kakko, but he's just not a factor right now.
Who would you sit? I could see KK, Wennberg, Will, or Vesey and probably in that order.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
There is no doubt in my mind that he is being moved this summer, even if this team wins 16 games. 3rd coach that didn't have a use for him.

As much as they've tried to make it work, it doesn't yield results. He has not taken the steps necessary to be a top 6 NHL player.

It took Lafreniere 4 years, this is year 5 for Kakko and nothing resembling an impact forward.

This core group of guys the last 5 years has been the same. Would be the easiest move to make.

I held out hope that he could turn it up another level, but it's just not happening. Three coaches, the first never got him above the 3rd line, the second scratched him in the postseason, and the 3rd has just done the same. Maybe he bounces back from this, but it's a lot of wakeup calls.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
There is no doubt in my mind that he is being moved this summer, even if this team wins 16 games. 3rd coach that didn't have a use for him.

As much as they've tried to make it work, it doesn't yield results. He has not taken the steps necessary to be a top 6 NHL player.

It took Lafreniere 4 years, this is year 5 for Kakko and nothing resembling an impact forward.

This core group of guys the last 5 years has been the same. Would be the easiest move to make.

I held out hope that he could turn it up another level, but it's just not happening. Three coaches, the first never got him above the 3rd line, the second scratched him in the postseason, and the 3rd has just done the same. Maybe he bounces back from this, but it's a lot of wakeup calls.
Even if it does happen, this team can’t afford to invest more significant cap in the wing position. He needs to be moved for help on defense and we need to pray he still has some value around the league.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I do expect to see him again in the lineup, but he's going to be gone during the summer. Probably for the best.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Kakko has had hands of stone in the playoffs and doesn't have the speed to break open space in tight checking. If vesey is out for awhile now will be interesting if Wheeler gets a look but I would expect kakko comes back in

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I am tired of Kakko being scratched to dress injured guys in Eastern Conference Finals. Jesus. This guy must feel scapegoated to all hell. No way he's still with us next year.
I don't think he was scapegoated. I think Lavi made the smart move getting Rempe in for KK tonight. Hopefully this lights a fire under KK and he plays so well he never sits again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad